Home

Emulating Freshmen QB's

This is a discussion on Emulating Freshmen QB's within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Emulating Freshmen QB's

Im trying to figure out a way to make it a gamble playing or starting a true freshman at QB. This is prolly more suited for Coach Mode or CPU-CPU players because playing as the User kind of eliminates the risk involved due to it being based on stick skills. As it stands now i have all QB Tendencies set to either Balanced or Pocket Passer. The only QB's who have Scramble Tendency are Option QB's. Im thinking about giving all freshmen, with the exception of a few the Scramble Tendency so that it would maybe simulate them tucking it quickly if the first read ain't there. Again this only helps in cpu or coach mode games. Thoughts??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
Pro

parent22's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Emulating Freshmen QB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
Im trying to figure out a way to make it a gamble playing or starting a true freshman at QB. This is prolly more suited for Coach Mode or CPU-CPU players because playing as the User kind of eliminates the risk involved due to it being based on stick skills. As it stands now i have all QB Tendencies set to either Balanced or Pocket Passer. The only QB's who have Scramble Tendency are Option QB's. Im thinking about giving all freshmen, with the exception of a few the Scramble Tendency so that it would maybe simulate them tucking it quickly if the first read ain't there. Again this only helps in cpu or coach mode games. Thoughts??
This is very interesting. Im gonna see if this works in my copy of ncaa 14. This could be a gamechanger.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Rookie

Maybe lowering AWR, BCV, and/or throw accuracy could help that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 7

I've wanted to find a way to emulate freshmen QB's while still playing user-control. Recently I thought of the following idea, but I haven't tried it yet. As a Florida fan and watching our QB stare down his first and only read up until very recently, I've debated randomly selecting a read or 2 and being "forced" to only throw to those receivers on a play.

So, for example, you use a list randomizer. Put all the possible receiver icons in the list and let it select 2 for you. Snap the ball. On that play, you, as an inexperienced freshman QB, only have the "football IQ" to make one or 2 reads. Throw it to that read, tuck it and run, throw it away, or take the sack. You can't throw to any other reads.

I feel like, if you keep yourself honest, this would be a pretty good way to emulate the horror that often accompanies the excitement of watching a young, inexperienced QB play.

Last edited by Matt23134; 10-07-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
Pro

osubucki6's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt23134
I've wanted to find a way to emulate freshmen QB's while still playing user-control. Recently I thought of the following idea, but I haven't tried it yet. As a Florida fan and watching our QB stare down his first and only read up until very recently, I've debated randomly selecting a read or 2 and being "forced" to only throw to those receivers on a play.

So, for example, you use a list randomizer. Put all the possible receiver icons in the list and let it select 2 for you. Snap the ball. On that play, you, as an inexperienced freshman QB, only have the "football IQ" to make one or 2 reads. Throw it to that read, tuck it and run, throw it away, or take the sack. You can't throw to any other reads.

I feel like, if you keep yourself honest, this would be a pretty good way to emulate the horror that often accompanies the excitement of watching a young, inexperienced QB play.
I think if you went this route it would be easier to just use the primary read marked on the play (the orange route) along with the complementing route. For example, on WR In I believe the post is the primary read. That would be your first read and the wheel route that completes the switch concept would be your secondary. You would ignore the drag from the slot WR, and the In Switch concept on the other side of the field.

Also, another way I've seen people emulate this is to limit their playbooks and audibles. I don't remember the exact rules but I remember somebody had something like this:
-Start with 50 play playbook
-Add 10 plays every start
-Add 25 plays in offseason if returning starter
-Can't hot route until sophomore season
-Can't audible until junior season

I think it was a lot more strict but that's the gist of the rules they had. I'll try and look around a little for the actual rules.
NBA-Sonics :'(

Last edited by osubucki6; 10-07-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubucki6
I think if you went this route it would be easier to just use the primary read marked on the play (the orange route) along with the complementing route. For example, on WR In I believe the post is the primary read. That would be your first read and the wheel route that completes the switch concept would be your secondary. You would ignore the drag from the slot WR, and the In Switch concept on the other side of the field.

Also, another way I've seen people emulate this is to limit their playbooks and audibles. I don't remember the exact rules but I remember somebody had something like this:
-Start with 50 play playbook
-Add 10 plays every start
-Add 25 plays in offseason if returning starter
-Can't hot route until sophomore season
-Can't audible until junior season

I think it was a lot more strict but that's the gist of the rules they had. I'll try and look around a little for the actual rules.
I like these playbook restrictions! I've been looking for something like this. Please share any additional information you find.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt23134

I like this, but I think the INT slider would need to come down quite a bit for those forced throws.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
Pro

osubucki6's Arena

I found a set of playbook restrictions from Canes21. I don't remember if these were the rules I remembered but they look familiar. Obviously, you could tweak them how you see fit.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=327
NBA-Sonics :'(

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »