Home

Graphics versus Gameplay

This is a discussion on Graphics versus Gameplay within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Graphics versus Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins
Didn't VC release an NCAA game for Sega for a couple of years? The reviews I read said it didn't hold a candle to NCAA. I do agree with you that presentation is important in a college game, but is it so much more important than the actual gameplay? That is what I am getting at.
I was referring to the presentation in ESPN NFL 2k4 and 2k5. For me, you can't really separate presentation and gameplay to say that if the gameplay is good I don't need presentation. At this point in the series we know that the gameplay is solid, but why is the presentation light year's behind the now extinct competition? I'm beginning to believe it's not that they can't do it, it's that they choose not too. Case in point, college entrances. Huge part of college football, yet only one unique entrance in the game? Maybe this will be addressed in the next gen systems.

Note: Sega's NCAA 2k3 was originally on the DC, and everything about it sucked...gameplay and presentation. They went the cheap route of taking NFL 2k2 and putting college jerseys on the players instead. And the port to PS2 was even worse.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:15 PM   #10
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

My only gripe is this (btw I like a combination of good graphics and solid gameplay)

EA is HUUUUGE. It's the biggest development company in the world. They've got great resources yet every year there's at least one thing that hampers their games.

You can't say "oh well they may be spreading themselves thin" because they've got the resources and staffing available to make a top notch game. It's just that they've been complacent because they're top dog and there's no competition.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-11-2005, 04:16 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 15

im a huge stickler for gameplay but to answer your question.

If a game had presentation that absolutely WOWED me, the stadiums the commentary, feeling like your there all that (more the atmosphere and stuffs than the graphics of the player models).... i would take that over great gameplay. But the type of presentation i have in my head wouldnt be possible perhaps even on the next systems.

I would have to feel the same way as i felt when i picked up 2k for DC. "Oh my god im actually playing this or watching it" DId you see that?!?!?! OMG etc etc etc, where everything was just groundbreaking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
I was referring to the presentation in ESPN NFL 2k4 and 2k5. For me, you can't really separate presentation and gameplay to say that if the gameplay is good I don't need presentation. At this point in the series we know that the gameplay is solid, but why is the presentation light year's behind the now extinct competition? I'm beginning to believe it's not that they can't do it, it's that they choose not too. Case in point, college entrances. Huge part of college football, yet only one unique entrance in the game? Maybe this will be addressed in the next gen systems.

Note: Sega's NCAA 2k3 was originally on the DC, and everything about it sucked...gameplay and presentation. They went the cheap route of taking NFL 2k2 and putting college jerseys on the players instead. And the port to PS2 was even worse.
Well, you never know. It could be a licensing issue, also. Just look at Cal Poly's absence from every college sports game. That definitely is a licensing issue. As far as presentation and gameplay, which would you choose if you could only have the best of one?

Thank's for the information. I never played the NCAA 2k games based on the reviews I read about them. I don't know much about those games.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #13
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears_16_and_0
im a huge stickler for gameplay but to answer your question.

If a game had presentation that absolutely WOWED me, the stadiums the commentary, feeling like your there all that (more the atmosphere and stuffs than the graphics of the player models).... i would take that over great gameplay. But the type of presentation i have in my head wouldnt be possible perhaps even on the next systems.

I would have to feel the same way as i felt when i picked up 2k for DC. "Oh my god im actually playing this or watching it" DId you see that?!?!?! OMG etc etc etc, where everything was just groundbreaking.
And with college football, presentation and atmosphere is even more important than it is in the nfl.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 07-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #14
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins
Well, you never know. It could be a licensing issue, also. Just look at Cal Poly's absence from every college sports game. That definitely is a licensing issue. As far as presentation and gameplay, which would you choose if you could only have the best of one?

Thank's for the information. I never played the NCAA 2k games based on the reviews I read about them. I don't know much about those games.
Why would you have to choose?

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 07-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #15
MVP

jpup's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsmanTO
My only gripe is this (btw I like a combination of good graphics and solid gameplay)

EA is HUUUUGE. It's the biggest development company in the world. They've got great resources yet every year there's at least one thing that hampers their games.

You can't say "oh well they may be spreading themselves thin" because they've got the resources and staffing available to make a top notch game. It's just that they've been complacent because they're top dog and there's no competition.
exactly my point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #16
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpup
for 50 bucks, i expect them to get both right.
exactly...it's so, so, so horribly shortsighted to think that it has to be "graphics vs. gameplay." Why? Why? No offense to the threader, b/c I actually appreciate him bringing this up. But we have got to get over this mentality of graphics vs. gameplay and demand both. It is possible to have both.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »