Home

The Deep Ball!!!

This is a discussion on The Deep Ball!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #9
MVP

Mrcabone's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: The Deep Ball!!!

I'm also starting to see the deep ball as a problem,but I notice it has a lot to do with catching your player out of position with playaction,and what defense you call.It comes down to controlling your db once the ball is in the air.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quochai
I believe I know why people throw the deep ball as much as they do. I just finished watching a buddy of mine (western mich) play a game against ball st. and it made me kinda sick to my stomach. He completed 5 of 19 passes (under 30 yards) and completed 13 of 17 passes of 30 yards or more. It was sickening. I asked him why he keeps going deep and he told me that if it was 10 times easier to just throw deep then short and across the middle then why not do it. He says its the only way he can really complete passes and this was indeed true. Everytime he threw it short it was either knocked down or picked and when he went deep the CPU couldn't do anything. He ended up throwing for 7 TDs all on bombs. If short passes were easier to complete maybe people wouldn't throw deep as often.
CB's and Safeties on the deep ball are more or less idiots. This game reminds me olot like NCAA 2004 and NCAA 2003 when the DB's were complete morons. The reaction awareness on default is very bad, so online they won't react unless you take control of them, and even then, the WR's can jetpack still. I've taken control of DB's and they wouldn't even jump off the ground to defend the pass. My USER PICKS are always running animations where they didn't jump, they just reached out and somehow got an int. It's really really bad so I understand. Doubling the deep ball cuts it down tremendously though. 1 on 1 is 85% burn fest.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 9

The Deep Ball can be stopped. I have stopped it, my DBs jump up and stop the ball. Also I complete short passes all the time. My QB is avg and I got 1 good receiver. Take your time guys before you write the passing off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2005, 08:35 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles167
The Deep Ball can be stopped. I have stopped it, my DBs jump up and stop the ball. Also I complete short passes all the time. My QB is avg and I got 1 good receiver. Take your time guys before you write the passing off.
Are you using sliders? The biggest issue I see with this is online. Offline, I think it can be toned down to a minimum with the right slider settings.

Rams NFL Championships :

"
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."
Old 07-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #13
MVP

emalloy3's Arena

OVR: 11

Stop playing on All-American and play on Heisman.
NBA:Los Angeles Lakers
NCAABB:Georgetown Hoyas
MLB:Washington Nationals

Old 07-14-2005, 10:42 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think that if you could complete a pass under 15yards effectively, then the deep ball would not happen as much. Here's a story:
The opponent is on my 25 yard line on 3rd and 10. I am playing man, with safetys over the top. QB bombs it to the endzone. My safety, is standing in the circle where the ball will be caught. Waiting right there. My CB is on his left stride for stride. I take control of the safety and all he does if put his hands up, like he was trying to give their WR a high five. The WR caught it. Like, come on. AI should be a little more intelligent then that
Old 07-14-2005, 11:13 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeair042
I think that if you could complete a pass under 15yards effectively, then the deep ball would not happen as much. Here's a story:
The opponent is on my 25 yard line on 3rd and 10. I am playing man, with safetys over the top. QB bombs it to the endzone. My safety, is standing in the circle where the ball will be caught. Waiting right there. My CB is on his left stride for stride. I take control of the safety and all he does if put his hands up, like he was trying to give their WR a high five. The WR caught it. Like, come on. AI should be a little more intelligent then that
I swear the deep ball wasnt this effective last year. last year had major problems in it, but this deep ball crap is really starting to kill the game for me. my playing situation is a bit different than most on the board and I am prepared for the backlash that will follow. the majority of my playing involves multiplayer and online. after college, all of my EA NCAA buddies now find ourselves seperated by hundreds of miles. we still get together occassionally on weekends, but playing XBox isnt a top priority. the only time I play them is online. I also like to come home from work, play a game and hit the hay. playing online is an absolute joke. I am not sure how the deep ball disease spread, but it spread incredibly quick. I didnt even know about it until I lost a few games on 3rd and 4th down bombs on every drive. I dont play much dynasty. I think I might have played 5 seasons in NCAA 2002 in Dynasty mode (which I enjoyed immensely), but I dont think I have played more than two season in it since. I might randomly play the computer, but the most part I play multiplayer and online. if anyone remembers College Football's National Championship for Sega Genesis (I believe this was around 94 or 95), you will remember a play called "Deep Post." it was an automatic TD. this drove me nuts and I was at the age (13 or 14) where cheese like that would have been enjoyable. I dont have a problem with the impact players. I dont have a problem with the running game. in fact, the running game, in my opinion, is the best ever in the NCAA series. I have a slight problem with the pass blocking and my pass blocking problems results 90% from online douches sending 7 and 8 men every play. but the deep ball is a MAJOR problem. last year's game wasn't good, but after the frustration in dealing with the deep ball problem, it is starting to seem a lot better than I remember it. I have even played a few OS guys online, and the deep ball is still thrown frequently. its hard not to use it when you know its there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2005, 11:37 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcculac
I swear the deep ball wasnt this effective last year. last year had major problems in it, but this deep ball crap is really starting to kill the game for me. my playing situation is a bit different than most on the board and I am prepared for the backlash that will follow. the majority of my playing involves multiplayer and online. after college, all of my EA NCAA buddies now find ourselves seperated by hundreds of miles. we still get together occassionally on weekends, but playing XBox isnt a top priority. the only time I play them is online. I also like to come home from work, play a game and hit the hay. playing online is an absolute joke. I am not sure how the deep ball disease spread, but it spread incredibly quick. I didnt even know about it until I lost a few games on 3rd and 4th down bombs on every drive. I dont play much dynasty. I think I might have played 5 seasons in NCAA 2002 in Dynasty mode (which I enjoyed immensely), but I dont think I have played more than two season in it since. I might randomly play the computer, but the most part I play multiplayer and online. if anyone remembers College Football's National Championship for Sega Genesis (I believe this was around 94 or 95), you will remember a play called "Deep Post." it was an automatic TD. this drove me nuts and I was at the age (13 or 14) where cheese like that would have been enjoyable. I dont have a problem with the impact players. I dont have a problem with the running game. in fact, the running game, in my opinion, is the best ever in the NCAA series. I have a slight problem with the pass blocking and my pass blocking problems results 90% from online douches sending 7 and 8 men every play. but the deep ball is a MAJOR problem. last year's game wasn't good, but after the frustration in dealing with the deep ball problem, it is starting to seem a lot better than I remember it. I have even played a few OS guys online, and the deep ball is still thrown frequently. its hard not to use it when you know its there.

In EA football offense is usually too easy and playing defense too hard. I think people just have to understand that EA football is never going to be a simulation. It is designed to appeal to a very large number of people many of whom simply do not care much about realism. Just play the game like it is disigned to be played which is to throw deep most of the time and accept 72 to 56 type scores. It is not realistic but it was NEVER meant to be anyway. You are not playing football you are playing EA football which is all about offense. Sliders can only do so much to make a game play realistically that is never meant to play realistically. This game is like a great high light reel. Most players can only dream about duplicating the offense in NCAA 2006 in real life

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »