Home

My thoughts

This is a discussion on My thoughts within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
My thoughts

I know there have been people who have had issues with dropped passes, stopping the run , deep passes and "sluggish" defensive controls so I wanted to give my thoughts on them

Dropped passes: Yes I've seen "some" but there is no where near a big problem with this IMO. I see 3 to 5 drops a game combined. I just don't see this as a problem.

Stopping the run: More now than in any NCAA(or any football game for that matter) game before it is crucial to have the right people on the field and in place to stop the good backs and good OL. Gone are the days of running a dime defense and stuffing the run. Yes I've had backs destroy my D even when I thought I called a good defense but more times than not it was because my players were just not good enough to deal with the CPU talent especially on the road.

I've played some teams really tough also only to see them get one good break which seemed to open the flood gates. Maybe it was momentum taking effect, I don't know. All I know is that I won't lead the NCAA in rushing defense and I'm LOVING IT!

Deep Passes: This is a mystery right now to me because of one thing. Some games my CPU controlled players and I have no problems stopping the deep ball when we are in the right defense. Other games we couldn't stop anything.
Maybe it's HFA or just a combination of things. Either way it hasn't stopped me from having a great time with the game.

Sluggish D Controls: I don't see it. The only difference I see is when you jump or go to swat a ball. It SEEMS like this year you actually have to "play the ball" more than any other time before. What I mean is in past versions it felt like as soon as you pushed the swat or jump button your player "instantly would jump/swat. Now you have to take into account the small delay that happens due to the player having to get into the jump/swat position.
I hope I'm making sense.
For example: Early with this game I would hit the swat just as the ball got there , just like I did last year, only to miss the ball. I started getting frustrated until I notice via replay that I was late with the swat.

Now I hit the swat right before the ball gets there to give the player time to get his arm up and in position to swat it.

As for the Simmed stats, they are whacked out. I tried lowering some of the QB's accuracy ratings (as the sliders have no effect on this for simmed games)by 10 points and simming the season and sure enough thier stats were pretty accurate. Just wish we had an external global editor for NCAA as I don't feel like going through all the QB's and adjusting them. I might though.

Anyways that's how I feel about some of the things in NCAA.

Oh, and before anyone thinks I am an EA defender please look at my past record. You'll see I am one of the harshest EA people around but I give credit where it's due. NCAA 2006 is the best NCAA game ever made to date, IMO.

Thanks,
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
MVP

devilsjaw's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: My thoughts

You basically have expressed my complete thoughts about this year's version as well. I'm just glad to have a college football game that I feel like I can play for the next 6 months or more.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

So what did you lower the QB ratings to?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
MVP

devilsjaw's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoL2k
So what did you lower the QB ratings to?
He said he lowered them 10 points.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsjaw
He said he lowered them 10 points.
Yep I lowered them 10 points. After the simmed season Matt Leinart(sp) for example had close to the right amount of pass attempts though just a tad low.
his completion % was 68.5 with 25 td's I can't remember his picks but it was low around 3 or so.
That's all I remember from the simmed season.
I'm really thinking about going ahead and doing all the QB ratings.
We'll see....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
What I mean is in past versions it felt like as soon as you pushed the swat or jump button your player "instantly would jump/swat. Now you have to take into account the small delay that happens due to the player having to get into the jump/swat position.

NCAA 2006 is the best NCAA game ever made to date, IMO.
Yeah, I noticed that. The manual states that you have to"pull and hold" the L Trigger to execute the swat. It should have always been that way. If it means anything, I agree about it being the best NCAA game to date.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

I agree with most of that you said. However I don't 100% agree on the dropped passes thing. They're still there, just not as bad. I've had to jack up sliders that do help. THe CPU drops 'em as much as humans do, if not more and that's been the big problem. Buuut sliders do help.

Running on default is whacked cuz the blocking is insane. It's like legalized holding on most plays. Again, easily remedied with sliders.

The game is phenonenal, I love it. When you find the right settings it's very engrossing and intense. ON default I don't think it plays well at all though.

Oh and one more thing. The 'blocking' hot routes are my new best friend! Didn't need to use them in previous versions, this year I gotta.

Old 07-15-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

I was getting extremely unresponsive controls on defence....I could not make a tackle to save my life in the open field. In trafic the guy was gone before I could switch to the defender by him. I was on the verge of putting my controller through something breakable. I know there is a learning curve every year.....but this was bad! Solution to the problem.....wireless controller is on the shelf, and I am plugged in again. all of the above problems resolved. I still miss openfiled tackles on occasion, but it is now the exception not the standard.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »