Home

The good ol' days VS. NCAA 06

This is a discussion on The good ol' days VS. NCAA 06 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #25
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: The good ol' days VS. NCAA 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudd
i still have my raiders and giants team... and will be buying a board and some more teams soon...
check this out... http://www.miggle.com/

I still have my Electronic football board with about 5 teams. If you think about it, EF can actually be more realistic than video game football if each teams players were trained right. (You guys know what I mean by trained....the green bases) Anyway, if you had 2 guys who both knew the game of football, then you can definitely get realistic results from it.

There is no greater feeling in the world than when you design a play and watch it execute perfectly on the board. Holes open up, blockers block and your HB runs his route.......the memories bring a tear to my eye.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 6

"Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
a little of the glory of, well time slips away
and leaves you with nothing mister but
boring stories of glory days..."

"Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days..."

Ya guys are kill'in me here...I'm waaaay too nostalgic for this thread.

Those were some fun days indeed.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:09 PM   #27
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I think Tecmo Bowl and Tecmo Super Bowl were the greatest football games of all time for their era. We used to keep track of stats for Tecmo Bowl when we had buddies over and tournaments. I think Madden 1998 (first year of pollys) got tons of play from me. Madden 2003 was pretty good and ESPN 2K4 was a blast that I played a lot.

Me and my brothers must have been the only guys to play Baseball Simulator 1.000 on the SNES (or NES?) to death. Fake players but had 6 stadiums and tons of stats. They had goofy teams with special abilities (super jumps, throws, etc) but we just played with the "real" teams.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:44 PM   #28
lav
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I think Tecmo Bowl and Tecmo Super Bowl were the greatest football games of all time for their era. We used to keep track of stats for Tecmo Bowl when we had buddies over and tournaments. I think Madden 1998 (first year of pollys) got tons of play from me. Madden 2003 was pretty good and ESPN 2K4 was a blast that I played a lot.

Me and my brothers must have been the only guys to play Baseball Simulator 1.000 on the SNES (or NES?) to death. Fake players but had 6 stadiums and tons of stats. They had goofy teams with special abilities (super jumps, throws, etc) but we just played with the "real" teams.
I remember baseball sim. 1000. I rented it. I wanted to buy it so badly, but it was hard to find. I think it was for the NES. That game gave you a little more control than SNK baseball stars. Wasn't there a field you could play on in outer space in baseball sim. 1000?
Old 07-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lav
When I was much younger (I'm now 28), my friends and I would play leagues on Tecmo Bowl, RBI Baseball, etc. We would make schedules, play all of the games on the schedule (either head-to-head or vs. cpu), keep all of the stats. We had a blast. In fact, my friend still has the old notebooks with our stats, records, etc. We never complained about Bo Jackson rushing for too many yards every game. We never complained about L.T. racking up too many sacks. We enjoyed it for what it was...a game. We used to discuss how awesome it would be if we could put ourselves in the game or have stats kept for us.

Now we have games that keep stats, allow us to make ourselves and friends, a.i. that at least attempts to adjust to play calling, record multi-year franchises, and more.

To be honest, I love sim football. But, if games were 100% accurate sims, my Vikings would ALWAYS choke in the playoffs, and the Browns would never make the playoffs to begin with. I'm glad I have some control over that.

Even with their flaws, these games are a huge improvement from the good ol' days. It makes you wonder what the future will hold. Someday Madden 2020 will come with a body suit that allows us to be imported into the game. We'll need to run in place, make moves, jump for catches, maybe even earn a paycheck depending on how well we play in online leagues, etc. Some people will still be upset because although their likeness was in the game, the technology did not allow for them to actually sustain a real concussion when they were blindsided by a blitzing CB.

That's just my two-cents. Did anyone else used to keep stats, make leagues, etc. back in the day?
This a great post...something you'd hang on your game-room bulletin board!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #30
Pro

BhamTiger's Arena

OVR: 7

Another old school gamer here (I'm 29). I too wasted many hours of my youth creating mock schedules and tournaments and tracking season stats of digital players in Tecmo Bowl, Bill Walsh College Football, and Coach K College Basketball. I did most of this solo as none of my friends were ever really into video games like I was. Many are the summer days/weekends that I spent going through entire seasons of my favorite sports games. Unfortunately, all of my notebooks from those days are long gone...

There was also a PC game that I played to death back in '93 and '94. All-American College Football. It had these little cards with numbers corresponding to various plays. You input the numbers and the CPU would display the results of the plays onscreen. You could create your own schedules and play through entire seasons of college football, but there was no dynasty or recruiting mode, so you were stuck with the same teams for multiple seasons.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:59 PM   #31
OS Member #242

gopadres's Arena

OVR: 22

I created and played an entire season and playoff bracket with the NY Rangers in Blades of Steel for NES. That and Bases Loaded took up a lot of my summer. Tecmo Super Bowl and Baseball Stars are still two of my all-time favorites.

NFL 2K and NBA 2K were another couple of games I remember blowing me away. I'm looking forward to experiencing that with 360 and PS3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 8

Wow...you guys really got me thinking about my childhood too. I'm 29 and remember the days of playing Apple II football at my cousin's house...it was text only. You had six plays to choose from on offense--a sweep, off-tackle, draw, screen, short pass, or long pass--and every one was easy to counter once you figured out which of the four defensive plays stopped it. Time was kept based on the number of plays (something like 20 plays per quarter). Of course, on my PC, I had the original Madden (with him bursting through the chalk diagram and no real teams). I used to use both along with a game that I made up on my own to have full seasons of college and pro football. After those, Tecmo was a god-send even if you could only choose from four plays...

I also kept track of stats, schedules, records, and polls using Lotus 1-2-3 (black and amber screens rocked!). I did the same kind of thing for baseball and basketball. Since I grew up with two sisters and no guys within walking/biking distance, I spent a lot of time with this and still deal with a bunch of crap from my parents and sisters about it. They call it my "shhh...cluck" game because I made up a baseball card game and added my own sound effects...yes, I was a dork...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »