Home

Do you ever think the CPU just will not let you in?

This is a discussion on Do you ever think the CPU just will not let you in? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Do you ever think the CPU just will not let you in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasysportsguy
How does the fact that it seems that some games, you simply cannot win, make for realism? If anything, thats a stacked deck and the opposite of realism.
happens every week in real games when on any given day nothing you do works and a team gets upset. same way with this game. sometimes one team simply can do no wrong either. ask any coach and he'll explain to you how real it is.

Last edited by tirk; 07-21-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:04 PM   #18
Pro

Dauminator's Arena

OVR: 5

Thank you, tirk, that's exactly right. Fantasysportsguy, do you play sports yourself? If you do, I'm sure you can remember at least one and probably several games where you and your team just could not do anything right and you lost, perhaps embarassingly. In fact, the last softball game I played about a week ago was like this. We could hit all right, but our defense could never get going and we had no chance. And that was for the tournament championship.

In short, it is very realistic for this to happen, even in important games.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:52 PM   #19
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

there's a difference between the team not playing up to par and the other team appearing to know every play you call, knowing exactly when you'll hit a button and which one AND what to do when it happens, and penalties and turnovers happening in patterns. you all are looking too much at end results to decide what's realistic. these guys are complaining about unrealistic gameplay and none of your points are valid based on that.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:37 PM   #20
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

I just saw my numero uno complaint of EA football yesterday.

Its those plays when you are on defense, and the cpu selects a run play. After they snap, it seems instantaneous when all of their blocks just completely level whomever they come in contact with leaving the field wide open for the RB to take it to the house untouched. All the LBs get flattened, the Safety who had his back gets automatically flattened. Even my impact DL got put on his back. Its so predictable and so cheesy and I hate it with a passion. Why cant they just let the RB break tackles and make it look somewhat realistic? No, they gotta make sure that he scores so they must resort to shoddy programming in order for him to do so.

But I said F it, I'm just gonna learn to live with it. Its something thats been in EA football since the move to 32 bits. If this is what EA has to do to make the game challenging, then so be it. As long as I dont see the ball go through players bodies or hands, I'll survive.

BTW, my first dynasty game against BYU(I'm using Boston College), I blew them out of the water 41-20-something. Next game against Army, they completely demolished everything I threw at em. Keep in mind that Army had a poll ranking of 95 or something. Anyway, those 130 yards I had against BYU turned into 13 yards against Army. Those 300+ yards passing I had against BYU turned into 150 against Army. Everything they threw up was a sucess. They just completely outplayed me that game.....

...OR...

....they just wanted to win. Brings me back to the point I made in my first post in this thread. The level of inconsistency that EA games show is utterly shocking at times. Its like night and day and most cases. Yea, I hate it but once again "F it". I'm just gonna learn to live with it. I'm tired of complaining, I just wanna play.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:25 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2

I hear you man, I am seeing the same thing and it is annoying as hell. In my RFTH with Ohio St. in the first two years I shut out Texas twice, winning 27-0 and 34-0 easily. Yet, I lost to Penn St. both years with them killing me in year 1.

It is clear there are some games that the CPU will not let you win no matter what. I just lost to Illinois (of all teams) in year 2, I knew the game would not let me win. There were four plays that could have allowed me to have a chance of winning, all of them went drastically against me.

1. My WR Hall (Holmes and Ginn both got hurt, surprise surprise) was wide open on the sideline on 3rd and long and he just drops it. I was down by 20 in the third at that point.
2. By the second half I had enough of the CPU getting every break so I pulled out everything I had. Hall caught a bomb, but fumbled it on their 20 yardline. My TE is the only one around not on the ground so he comes toward the ball, only to have Hall's foot kick it to an Illinois player. This was early 4th quarter still down by 20.
3. After I get an INT and quick TD, Hall has the catch in double coverage but fumbles the ball on his way to the endzone. Of course I don't recover it.
4. I manage to get the stop and score again, cutting it to 6 with 1:30 left and 2 timeouts. I don't get the onside, but on 3rd and 3 the CPU mysteriously picks a 4 WR set. I know they have to run and go goalline, yet somehow the handoff from shoutgun spread gets the firstdown after 2 broken tackles. On replay it didn't look like he even made it, but whatever. At that point I wasn't going to win anyway, just made me mad.

In conclusion, it seems like 80% of my games have had predetermined winners and I can't control it whatsoever. Oh well, maybe Madden will be good this year (meh).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #22
MVP

LetsGo0akland's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasysportsguy
Hmm, guess its just me and you Bob, lol.
After tinkering with sliders for 2-3 days, I am getting GREAT games. Florida/FSU games are close and exciting (UF 38, FSU 35) and blowouts that are realistic (Purdue 59, Indiana 14).

Seriously though, took me a while. At first, I was feeling: "I am never going to get these sliders right." Then all of a sudden, it just clicked. Just stick with it guys.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #23
Pro

Dauminator's Arena

OVR: 5

I don't know what to say about those gameplay problems you've described, as I haven't seen any of them.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:26 PM   #24
Can U spare a dollar?

GHUGHES's Arena

OVR: 9

[quote=mike01]Same thing happens in real life, guys. How do you think major upsets happen? Everything goes right for underdog and and the favorite probably feels that there is no way the other team should be playing so good. The favorite also probably wonders why the same things they have been doing all year that helped dominate other teams isn't working all of a sudden.

Also, blowouts sometimes happen even with two pretty even teams. I can't think of any too specific games but I know Oklahoma has completely destroyed Texas in the last couple of years, by like 40 points or so. I gaurantee you that Texas had the same feeling you guys are having in that game.

There might be a comeback code, but I don't think that it is a deal where the CPU wants to win and there is nothing you can do about it. I still believe that you can make the plays and win the game.[/QUOT

Couldnt have said it better myself

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »