Home

Academics are BS

This is a discussion on Academics are BS within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2005, 01:41 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Academics are BS

they finally included Academics as a selling point. And, for some reason, they got rid of the previously useless GPA. i'd like to have been at the meeting when that decision was made. good job guys.

Oh yeah, I only recruit good or excellent discipline and my NCAA interest bar has been empty for five years and my academics are down to 2 stars. WTF?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2005, 01:57 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Academics are BS

Well, the academic reputation of a school is a bit out of the influence of a football coach Id say, no matter how disciplined and education-loving a coach is, San Diego State will never be USC, Texas Tech will never be Vanderbilt, Iowa State will never be Stanford, Ohio State will never be Michigan.

Its probably good that they have it that way too, I remember in Front Office Football: The College Years (a text-based college football sim for the uninitiated) all you had to do to turn your lowly crap program into a champion was make all the kids study hard and push up academic reputation that way and then land top recruiting classes full of guys who go for good academics. Its a blueprint that always worked and thus took the fun out of the game after a while.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:03 AM   #3
Rookie

they could at least give me GPA as a stat, or make it so that if I upheld the schools academics, then the school would at the very least maintain. I have just decided to say screw it. starting next off season, i will recruit any thug who can ball. (besides, every discipline problem seems to come from your a+ guys and not your d- anyway, doesn't it?)
Old 08-04-2005, 02:06 AM   #4
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

If you scout the player, you can get his GPA i believe.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:10 AM   #5
Champs

Husker_OS's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn6
If you scout the player, you can get his GPA i believe.
You can't. You just gotta recruit kids with good field awareness.

Alabama National Championships

1925-1926-1930-1934-1945-1961-1964-1965-1966-1978-1979-1992-2009-2011-2012-2015

"Fight on, fight on, fight on men! Remember the Rose Bowl, we'll win then..."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2005, 02:14 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker9
You can't. You just gotta recruit kids with good field awareness.

i'm not questioning your method when i say that is stupid. i say that is stupid because anyone knows awareness and academics are completely unrelated. however, it wouldn't surprise me that some morons at EA thought that was a good idea, so you may be right. sounds liek something they'd do to me. we are taling about the same company that last year reasoned that if a running back got hit reallly hard at the end of the 65 yard run he just busted on the number 1 team in the country, that he should go down in rating. 10 carries 245 yards and 4 touchdowns equaled a drop of 12 points in rating cause i'd get hit hard 40 yards downfield.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:53 AM   #7
Rookie

Kingfish's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK47
Well, the academic reputation of a school is a bit out of the influence of a football coach Id say, no matter how disciplined and education-loving a coach is, San Diego State will never be USC, Texas Tech will never be Vanderbilt, Iowa State will never be Stanford, Ohio State will never be Michigan...
Unless those teams are human controlled. In that case its easy in a dynasty to see a 4 or 5 star academic powerhouse fall to a 2 star academic JOKE in just a few seasons. Why? Is it something the recruiter did or is it just the natural ebb/flow? This is whats frustrating. I don't know one way or the other but in a way, I agree with you. It should probably be a static number changing VERY slowly over time, if at all.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #8

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandVizier
i'm not questioning your method when i say that is stupid. i say that is stupid because anyone knows awareness and academics are completely unrelated. however, it wouldn't surprise me that some morons at EA thought that was a good idea, so you may be right. sounds liek something they'd do to me. we are taling about the same company that last year reasoned that if a running back got hit reallly hard at the end of the 65 yard run he just busted on the number 1 team in the country, that he should go down in rating. 10 carries 245 yards and 4 touchdowns equaled a drop of 12 points in rating cause i'd get hit hard 40 yards downfield.
I second that, I hate the in game progression, I cant count the amount of times that my quarterback or the computers will lose points off his throwing power right at the beginning of the game when hes only thrown one pass, totally rediculous, not to mention I have never heard of anyones arm getting weaker after throwing one pass. It seems like there is always something that is put into the game and is really flawed, but then again I guess EA wouldnt have anything to promise us for next year. I should also point out that I love EA football titles for the most part, its just the little things that drive me nuts, like the in game progression system as well as the home field advantage that seems to me to be overdone yet again this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »