Home

How could this happen?

This is a discussion on How could this happen? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12
How could this happen?

I finally finished my first season of Madden and imported my draft class from NCAA. Most everyone looked pretty good. Matt Leinart and Omar Jacobs were both top 10 picks as were others that you'd expect to be, but there was something really odd that happened. Leon Washington from Florida State was listed as a 6th or 7th round pick in all the scouting and combines. The reason that this was odd was that I used FSU in my dynasty and he won the Heisman while gaining over 2000 yards and catching passes for another 900. The guy was a monster. He was rated a 99 when he left college so how can he be a 6th or 7th round pick?

I drafted him anyway just to see what he came out like. 90 speed, but only 75 strength? Anyone that's seen him in the game knows that his strength is what makes him...I think his strength was like 88 in NCAA. This is the strangest thing I've seen in all the years I've been importing draft classes into MAdden. Just doesn't make any sense at all. He came out rated a 71 with decent speed, but no strength and there must have been 20 other running backs taken before him. How does this happen?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2005, 11:19 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: How could this happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgun
I finally finished my first season of Madden and imported my draft class from NCAA. Most everyone looked pretty good. Matt Leinart and Omar Jacobs were both top 10 picks as were others that you'd expect to be, but there was something really odd that happened. Leon Washington from Florida State was listed as a 6th or 7th round pick in all the scouting and combines. The reason that this was odd was that I used FSU in my dynasty and he won the Heisman while gaining over 2000 yards and catching passes for another 900. The guy was a monster. He was rated a 99 when he left college so how can he be a 6th or 7th round pick?

I drafted him anyway just to see what he came out like. 90 speed, but only 75 strength? Anyone that's seen him in the game knows that his strength is what makes him...I think his strength was like 88 in NCAA. This is the strangest thing I've seen in all the years I've been importing draft classes into MAdden. Just doesn't make any sense at all. He came out rated a 71 with decent speed, but no strength and there must have been 20 other running backs taken before him. How does this happen?
For another example of this kind of non-sense, check out what happened last year with Jason White. The guy won the Heisman and was nominated for it the year after, put up HUGE numbers for one of the best teams and he wasn't drafted. How could EA screw up like that???? oh wait that was in real life...
Old 09-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
MVP

Badgun's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
For another example of this kind of non-sense, check out what happened last year with Jason White. The guy won the Heisman and was nominated for it the year after, put up HUGE numbers for one of the best teams and he wasn't drafted. How could EA screw up like that???? oh wait that was in real life...
Jason White sucked, as did Heath Shuler, as did Gino Toretta, as did Charlie Ward...there's a difference here...Leon Washington will actually have a pro career.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
MVP

Now that I've got my smartass sarcastic post out of the way...

It is odd but it does happen that great guys in college are drafted really low or not at all. Some guys that are highly touted become much less so at the combines. Look at the Heisman winners of the past 15 years and you'll find quite a few busts in there.

As for Washington's strength being his strongest asset well you have to understand that the way the draft classes are programmed is not player specific. What I mean is there isn't someone at EA who checks out the players and hard codes into the game that Leon Washington is strong and it should carry over to Madden. To the game, Leon Washington is just a set of numbers. The engine takes the NCAA ratings and randomizes them to a certain degree. I do agree that strength shouldn't vary a whole lot, just like speed but at the same time the ratings are relative values, meaning he's an 88 against college players but he's bound to be lower because the NFL's guys are stronger. I understand your frustrations though, especially if you were looking forward to using him and making him great in Madden as well.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Leon Washington will actually have a pro career.
Again with the specifics about THAT guy. Ratings are randomized to aco**** for the fact that some guys have a great disparity between their college potential and how they actually pan out. From what you're saying it really sounds as if it's clear that this particullar player should have been programmed to be a great NFL player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2005, 12:06 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Jason White sucked, as did Heath Shuler, as did Gino Toretta, as did Charlie Ward...there's a difference here...Leon Washington will actually have a pro career.
one - Heath Shuler didn't win the heisman, he finished 2nd (by a large margain)
two - When Shuler got 2nd he lost to Charlie Ward, he did not suck, but demanded to go in the first 3 picks or he wouldn't play football at all. Thus his basketball career.

Three - Why are you so certain he'll have an NFL career? I honestly see MULTIPLE half backs that have much more NFL potential than he does, he'll get picked up, be a gunner on S/T for a couple years and then open a car lot w/ Danny Wuerffel.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:14 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 21

Charlie Ward didnt suck. He just realized that his future was on the basketball court and not on the football field. Everyone said he was too short to play QB and that pushed him towards basketball.

And I agree with the poster that says its all about the randomized numbers. The stats a player puts up have no bearing on his Madden draft postion. The ratings that he had in NCAA carry all the weight.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:05 AM   #8
MVP

Badgun's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU9399
Charlie Ward didnt suck. He just realized that his future was on the basketball court and not on the football field. Everyone said he was too short to play QB and that pushed him towards basketball.

And I agree with the poster that says its all about the randomized numbers. The stats a player puts up have no bearing on his Madden draft postion. The ratings that he had in NCAA carry all the weight.
well there you go...his ratings in NCAA were great as well. I think Washington is rated a 92 or so before you ever play a game with him. I don't know...if you guys don't find it odd, maybe it isn't, but I've never seen anything like it before in any of my drafts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »