Home

Why has NCAA been the best football game in the past four years?

This is a discussion on Why has NCAA been the best football game in the past four years? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #49
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Why has NCAA been the best football game in the past four years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Lol you have really changed.
yeah i know, even the most die hard EA fans have to admit some things are certainly lacking, the ridiculiously poor jump to next gen for EA really made me feel like it's time for some real criticism. right now all of my favorite sports games are 2K games except Fight Night Round 3. I'm such a gaming whore I guess, going to whatever company is kicking butt at the time..LOL.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 04-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #50
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Since EA has not gotten close in their games let's just say nobody has gotten close The original point was that 2k5 had better interaction between the players blocking and shedding.

The double team blocking is a very important factor. How can anyone that runs a 3-4, or 3-3-5 defense sit here and be satisfied with their NT NEVER drawing a damn double team? In the real world that guy has to get that double team or else the defense is not going to work right. Defensive Coordinator Jeff Casteel of WVU has said it this way. If your NT does not draw a Double team then our defense is crippled. And WVU has had a top 5 run defense for quite some time, running a 335 exclusively. It starts with the NT. He anchors the defense and must get that double team.

The lack of double team blocking in EA's games tells me a few things. 1) In order for the 3-4 and 3-3-5 to be effective there is going to have to be some A.I BS going on to where defenders make plays they should not; or 2) it's not going to be that effective against the run at all.

Let me explain #1. Anytime the offense has a TE in the game the defense is responsible for 8 gaps. Well if you are running a 3-4 defense guess what? You only have 7 men up front. Now in the real world this is not a problem. Why? The NT or one of the defensive ends draw the double team. In 2k5 it was not a problem. Why? Because you could get either the NT or one of the DE's to draw the double team. In EA's games it's a big problem. But it's only a big problem if there is no A.I BS going on to help the defense. Seven men CANNOT account for 8 gaps unless someone draws the double team and that's the problem here because there is no double team blocking. If that defense is effective and there is no double team blocking, that's BS. There is no way in hell 7 guys can account for 8 gaps without one of them getting the double team. LOL, I've said that in every sentence. So then what you should be forced to do with this defense when a TE is in the game is always bring the Safety in the box to account for the 8th gap. Which should mean your pass defense would be crippled alot.

Now #2. If the defense is not effective at all against the run, the question is why is it in the game when it has no chance?

I'm not arguing that the game will not be fun. Not arguing that it sucks. Not arguing that it is not realistic in areas. But what I am saying is that in terms of line play they are behind. And that the line play effects more than the offense, it also effects the defense. It's not just the 3-4 and 335 either. You know some 4-3 teams can defend the run with 7 and others are forced to use 8. Why is this? The ones who can defend the run with 7 have a 2 gap DT that draws the double. The ones that are forced to use 8 in the box do not have a two gap DT that can draw the double. It would be nice to see this in the game. That way your defensive plans change radically depending on the personell you have. There should be no way in hell you can be a true cover 2 team and defend the run with 7 people without a 2 gap DT or a 2 gap NT. Not when a TE is in the game.

On another note, special teams look cool.
You know what your problem is? You make sense.
Another huge problem with EAs logic is a 190Ilb Db can run full speed into a 330+ ilb Oline and push him on his a$$ like the way Rick Flair used to get thrown to the ground. Thats why you can run Nickel and dime all day and stop the run. I dont know if you remember this but Mike Brown of the Bears tried to do that to Leonard Davis of the Cards, and I swear Davis picked up Brown and flung him like a rag doll. In madden if Brown was running full speed he would have pushed Davis on his *** and got the sack.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #51
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
You know what your problem is? You make sense.
Another huge problem with EAs logic is a 190Ilb Db can run full speed into a 330+ ilb Oline and push him on his a$$ like the way Rick Flair used to get thrown to the ground. Thats why you can run Nickel and dime all day and stop the run. I dont know if you remember this but Mike Brown of the Bears tried to do that to Leonard Davis of the Cards, and I swear Davis picked up Brown and flung him like a rag doll. In madden if Brown was running full speed he would have pushed Davis on his *** and got the sack.
Thats whats happens when you have an animation engine instead of a physics engine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 30

I agree with LBRulz in theory, but not for a game. As someone who played OL, it's true, but implementing double teams, doubling to backers, and gap responsiblities is near impossible in one year. That's tons of AI that'd need to be programmed. I'd love if one day I could make OL calls before the snap and such, but it's not going to happen.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #53
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
I agree with LBRulz in theory, but not for a game. As someone who played OL, it's true, but implementing double teams, doubling to backers, and gap responsiblities is near impossible in one year. That's tons of AI that'd need to be programmed. I'd love if one day I could make OL calls before the snap and such, but it's not going to happen.
The game needs an all new engine, I don't expect this to happen till at least next gen. Remember Ea hasnt changed the engine since they fired Visual Concepts in 96'.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »