Home

A solution to the Hardcore vs Casual gamer debate..

This is a discussion on A solution to the Hardcore vs Casual gamer debate.. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: A solution to the Hardcore vs Casual gamer debate..

The hardcore game would not sell enough copies to make it worthwhile.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #10
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic7
Why would the sales have to be seperate? Its the same company & title...One hardcore the other Casual..But still EA...Still NCAA & Madden...

Plus Production doesnt have to be mass
Old 04-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
Why would the sales have to be seperate? Its the same company & title...One hardcore the other Casual..But still EA...Still NCAA & Madden...

Plus Production doesnt have to be mass
Because to make it hardcore, with the things that most would want to see like better physics, a completely revamped interaction on the o-line, etc, would require significant dev time and cost, and the sales of the hardcore version wouldn't make that $$$ back.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Spoken like a true casual gamer. Don't you worry about sales of those hardcore copies. Many of us were hardcore sports gaming before you were even born. You stick to the copy which allows you to set hot dog prices, etc. I can guarantee you that there are a whole lot of football fans/gamers out there who have been turned off by the casual gaming bent and would love a chance to get back to some hardcore battles.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 2

Nice thought; we have suggested that in the past to no avail. It is obvious that EA's target audience is from age 5 to 10 (really 7-17). Have you ever wondered why EA Tiburon has ignored us hardcore gamers for years? It is basic business 101; look at your competitors and their product, establish a market, choose a target group. Let's be honest, they just started to have competition from Sega 2K football/Visual Concepts (2k4 and 2K5). Gameday football and 98 something football was just plain awful. The market is already there (us hardcore gamers) WHO HAVE BEEN PURCHASING THEIR SUBPAR GAMES FOR YEARS. Once again, lets be honest, yes we hate the fact that EA has produced some bad games over the past several years but we continue to buy them. EA knows this and will continue to force feed us crap games and we will open wide and swallow anyway. Now that leads me to the target group (casual gamers). EA is just like any greedy big business, they want to appeal to everyone. They know that they have us hardcore gamers by the short and curlys, and there focus is younger kids and people that just want to become more familiar with their product. The logical way to appeal to them is through graphics, arcade style play, and crap like madden cards. I must commend the NCAA crew for making marginal improvements instead of regressing like Madden. The hard facts are that EA has not made any major gameplay changes in several years, and has not listened to our issues with their games; why do you believe that they will start now (remember, no competition)? If they drop the ball again this year, we should boycott them and see if that gets their attention.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Because to make it hardcore, with the things that most would want to see like better physics, a completely revamped interaction on the o-line, etc, would require significant dev time and cost, and the sales of the hardcore version wouldn't make that $$$ back.
Incorrect. The NFL 2K series set a nice standard for o-line interaction, tackling physics, etc. so EA would not have to re-invent the wheel. Another difference would be a two year development time frame. NCAA 2007-Hardcore comes out, the next version would not be until 2009. The 2008 would not require a new purchase. It would just require downloading of updated rosters. On the other hand, the Arcade version would come out every year because that version would only consists of adding various bells and whistles ( maybe an American Idol competition or something). They would not have to make any improvements to gameplay, physics, etc. because as we know by that large casual fan base, realism is not a priority.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
How are they losing money when theres no competitor? If a musician puts out a album and adds bonus tracks to a limited amount of copies how does the record company lose revenue? Its the same artist so he gets the same points of each album sold even the bonus disk...If made it will sell
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2006, 02:25 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
I actually thought it would be the other way around......... you have your "arcade" gamers who are in denial and buy the "sim" game and try to play it "arcade."

I would think that those people "in denial" would stay far away from the arcade game, and buy the sim game, because many of these types of people think the current version of Madden plays realistically the way it is and they think that playing quarter defense to stop the run is realistic, too.

On a side note, I would say if they add more sliders such as......

-Game speed (I'm one of those that likes a slightly sluggish feel a la the early PS2 Maddens, but that's just me)
-Hit Stick effectiveness
-Fumble frequency
-Truck Stick effectiveness
-Zone Coverage Skills
-Man Coverage Skills
-QB Throw Velocity
-Vision Cone Range (I feel that on All-Madden, everybody's cone is the same size)
-Pancake Frequency
-Global Attribute Edits

and subsequently have a code a la the "Desmond Howard Code" in NCAA 06, then I don't think we'd have an extreme need for this type of game.

Last edited by 99Potential; 04-25-2006 at 02:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »