Home

New vids at gamespot

This is a discussion on New vids at gamespot within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #33
DickDalewood

OVR:
Re: New vids at gamespot

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Surprisingly/unsurprisingly no one's commented on the one current gen video we have that I posted earlier in the thread.
Well, a lot of people around don't care for IGN, and that video you posted is for Insiders only...

Old 06-28-2006, 09:08 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
Well, a lot of people around don't care for IGN, and that video you posted is for Insiders only...
I'm an Insider subscriber, and saw the video last night...that's why I responded to his request.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #35
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike69
I've noticed that you seem to compare everything to NFL 2K5, like that game is a de facto standard or something...you're a VC fanboy, dude. (And, me saying that, is like the pot calling the kettle "black".) J/K

I'm basically responding to your request for comments on current gen Ncaa 07. So, here's my take:

On animation comparisions between current gen and next gen...
The current generation appears to have far less animations. I dunno, seems to me like the prettier the game gets, the more we notice anamolies in the way the game moves. For example, the texture quality is significantly improved on the model's faces on next gen; and, the player faces seem to be more animated than current gen...eye's squint, mouths open, etc. But, the higher resolution and texture additions seems to call attention poorly (or, grossly put together) animated sequences. A good way to determine if more animations were used in next gen, is to pay attention to player models transition from one move to another. QB - Center exchange and drop back animation sequence is an easy one to look at. I'm no programer or game developer, but it seems that the lack of 60 fps may be the reason we aren't seeing a "significant" difference in the way next generation and current gen moves. Why hasn't EA made the move to 60 fps??? My guess is that a move like this would require twice as many motion captured animations. I think we are missing alot of transitional animations, that current generation did not give us (not saying that couldn't have). Still, however, the next gen game seems to deliver more transition animations.

On Controls...
The jury's still out on "controllability" (made up word, but you know what I mean, sorta thing...). One of the most underrated things about 2K5 was it allowed the user to break animations (i.e., tackles, cuts, spins, etc), string some moves together, all with a hint of realistic physical momentum. Since this is not a 2K5/NCAA 07 Next Gen comparision, I will leave well enough alone. Let's just see what happens when we get the game in our hands. Me, personally, I don't think we'll see a real improvement over current generation in this aspect...but still, I expect next gen to be at least level with current gen with regard to controls.

On Graphics...
No comment.

On Sound...
The sound processors in the next gen hardware is superior to current gen; so, I expect they'll be a significant difference in fidelity (at the very least). This should also be a "No Comment" section, 'cause the qualitative difference is pronounced, IMO.

On Presentation...
Presentation is a function of, both sound quality and graphical improvements. There's more to it...many people see this as "ESPN integration", or the magazine, or announcers, or stat overlays. No doubt, presentation includes all of these things and more. I say, next gen should be slightly better in this category. I'd like to "give a look see" before making a final determination.

On Extra Play Modes...
I mean, come on, current gen has to "win" at something, ya know! From what we know so far, current gen will have more mini games--a plus, but no "must have" for me!

On AI...
It appears that AI would be EXACTLY the same for both versions. Considering that next gen NCAA player models are rated on 10 more attributes than current gen, I'd have to believe that there's a difference in AI between the two versions. Different. Not better or worse. We will see!

The Bottom Line...
The differences between current gen NCAA and next gen are too many to suggest that the only difference is merely "eye candy". A company as successful as EA didn't get to where they are by being slackers. However, I cannot base my argument off of EA's past performance...that's fallacious. In the real world, people often take generalizations as fact. I'm not the one! So, I'll continue to do what I would normally do; and, shut up, look, listen, play hard, and suspend my "final opinion" for months after the game drops.

Peace and Chicken Grease!
A very well thought out and insightful post. Well done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #36
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by iag04ho
The vibe i have been getting from jus surfing and reading around the boards is that it seems the current gen - gamers are trying to knock the 360 version before it even comes out...seems like alot of them want the game to suck to justify not making the move to next-gen...me iam optimistic...NCAA has rocked for as long as ive been playing it and seeing as EA had plenty of time to fix the mistakes from Madden 06, iam betting the game will be sweet....plus the graphics are outta this world...my ps2 will continue to collect dust, it's like Super Nintendo lol

Ya know.... I do notice alot of ppl who seem to sopport the current gen NCAA and Madden dont own a 360 yet....

Good point you brought up there.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #37
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

The game looks pretty, but still far below my expectations. There are problems that I assumed would disapear with next gen games. Player interaction is my major gripe.

With OL/DL interaction, linemen still seem to dance in place, where I expect the action to flow towards the play, especially on tosses & pass plays. When a d-lineman wants to go in a certain direction, the o-lineman will stay engaged, but ride the d-lineman in that direction. That's missing from this game.

With tackling, they seemed to shorten the broken tackle animations, which helps the look of the 2nd defender coming in. But defenders that touch a tackle in progress still bounce hopelessly to the turf. Obviously, there's no gang tackling, which is a shame on this level, but they should find a better way to handle the reactions of those additional defenders.

And I still don't like the footing. There needs to be transition steps... shorter, choppy steps for coming out of breaks, cuts & turns, for starting from a standstill, ect. I see a lot of swivelling and full strides on first steps.

According to EA, the 360 games sport newer engines, but they seem to be built with the same mindset... focusing on, and ignoring the same things as the past engine. I guess I was hoping that what was being ignored before would be focused on now.

However, the game does seem much improved from Madden 360.

I like that there is more individuality. Players don't move in unison as much. Synchronized swaying in huddles, strides to the huddle, ect. seem to be gone.

Crowd reaction looks good.

Animations seem shorter, hopefully on their way to better player interaction and tackling.

Play action looks near perfect! I'm glad they're relying more on the models to carry out fakes instead of icons and screen movement. I hope they decide to get rid of meters next year, and rely even more on player model feedback for kicking and such.

The emotion of the game is much improved. Players and coaches react accordingly. And the after-play animations look great... players jumping over piles, rolling over ball carriers, ect.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #38
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

awsome, just awsome, I can't wait...I got a lot of problems going on in my life right now, and when this game comes out, it help me keep my mind off of s***...
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 06-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #39
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike69
I've noticed that you seem to compare everything to NFL 2K5, like that game is a de facto standard or something...you're a VC fanboy, dude. (And, me saying that, is like the pot calling the kettle "black".) J/K
First of all, thanks for your response - other than the one noted above. I would absolutely LOVE to comment on it, but I'll bite my tongue because it'll sidetrack the thread. The implication that I bring up 2K5 all the time... yet as usual it's not me bringing it up, it's some self-conscious individual that feels the need to serve and protect EA's honor.

I'm glad someone at least called me out on the video. And I'm glad you didn't use one of the three standard excuses in any of your post. It's all a matter of personal opinion really. There's one current gen video versus the many that were taken at E3 and the many videos recently released by various sites. But it's at the very least curious that there isn't both extensive next gen and current gen gameplay video; I'm sure the current gen game has been long completed. I like how you broke out the various areas and commented. Though... it's interesting that Graphics was the only area where there isn't a contest; everything else is up in the air. Shouldn't there be at LEAST a few other areas that had "no contest/no comment"? For the past two years, all I've read in the EA football forums was "Wait until next gen".

Well, next gen is here. And graphics is the only area where the game is noticeably better than current gen? Sadly most people here are hoping for current gen gameplay with next gen graphics - AT BEST. Is this how low the bar is set? If so, then people should continue to keep their fingers crossed, because it's not a given the next gen game will surpass the current gen in terms of gameplay. How sad would it be if the bar is set that low - and yet EA/Tiburon still trip over it.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #40
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
First of all, thanks for your response - other than the one noted above. I would absolutely LOVE to comment on it, but I'll bite my tongue because it'll sidetrack the thread. The implication that I bring up 2K5 all the time... yet as usual it's not me bringing it up, it's some self-conscious individual that feels the need to serve and protect EA's honor.

I'm glad someone at least called me out on the video. And I'm glad you didn't use one of the three standard excuses in any of your post. It's all a matter of personal opinion really. There's one current gen video versus the many that were taken at E3 and the many videos recently released by various sites. But it's at the very least curious that there isn't both extensive next gen and current gen gameplay video; I'm sure the current gen game has been long completed. I like how you broke out the various areas and commented. Though... it's interesting that Graphics was the only area where there isn't a contest; everything else is up in the air. Shouldn't there be at LEAST a few other areas that had "no contest/no comment"? For the past two years, all I've read in the EA football forums was "Wait until next gen".

Well, next gen is here. And graphics is the only area where the game is noticeably better than current gen? Sadly most people here are hoping for current gen gameplay with next gen graphics - AT BEST. Is this how low the bar is set? If so, then people should continue to keep their fingers crossed, because it's not a given the next gen game will surpass the current gen in terms of gameplay. How sad would it be if the bar is set that low - and yet EA/Tiburon still trip over it.
I can't say I totally disagree with you here, as you do make some very good points. That said, I'm still very pumped about this game, as I've always found the NCAA series to be extremely enjoyable. Now we have that same experience, but with an even more immersive atmopshere. That, to me, while not perfect (obviously), sounds, and looks, like a hell of a lot of fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »