Home

NCAA 07 :PS2 on a HDTV Widescreen SUCKS!

This is a discussion on NCAA 07 :PS2 on a HDTV Widescreen SUCKS! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NCAA 07 :PS2 on a HDTV Widescreen SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAFootballFreak
What kind of cables are you running from the back of your PS2? Composite (one yellow cable for video) or component (a red, a blue and a green for video)?
Actually I'm using an S-video connection. That's probably mostly what it is. Plus the fact that it's Xbox.

But, again, is 480p automatic, or how to I make it happen? I'm seeing a few jaggies, but certainly a few less than last year and it's not a huge problem.

EDIT: Above poster answered my question. I need component for 480p.

Where can I get these/what kind of price point am I looking at?
Old 07-19-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
Pro

Chodite24's Arena

OVR: 6

NCAA 06 for PS2 had 480p / progressive scan.
NCAA 07 for PS2 does not.

- BeerInBaltimore.com
- Xbox Live: B Klip
- PSN: Chodite
Old 07-19-2006, 07:54 PM   #11
Banned

Kentucky3D's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou23
To enable 480p on the xbox, turn on the console without a game in the tray. It will bring up your dashboard settings. If you have the HD cables plugged in (They're like $20 for the Microsoft brand cables), you should be able to tell it what video resolutions your TV can accept. Then when you load the game, it should start up in 480p. You probably have a button on your TV remote that shows what video mode you are running.

For the PS2, the only 480p game I have is Gran Turismo 4, and to enable 480p I just had to go to the settings after the game was loaded. Obviously, component cables are required here as well. Composite or S-Video cables do NOT allow you to run 480p on either system, it has to be COMPONENT (the cables with red, green and blue video hookups).
thanks for the reply. Ya my Xbox games look a lot better on my 720p LCD, especially NCAA 07. That sucks that it doesnt sound like the PS2 really makes HD play a priority.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

yep, I use component (R,G, B cables) and have tried everything settings wise.

For those who want to check their system settings for PS2, where it says "browser" and "system setup" before you even start the game, you can select various visual options. 4:3, Letterbox, 16:9 etc. and also what cables you have. If you have HD TV you probably have the RGB component cables ("composite" are the Yellow video and Red/White audio cables...which are not as good of quality).

In the setup you need to select the options of "Rb Yb Gb" or something like that.

Now, there is no setting to slect "480p", but on some past games (MVP 2005, ESPN 2K5) you have to hold down the "x" button and the "triangle" buttons at the same time before the game loads...just hold them down and it will give you the option of playing in 480p (which is slightly better/smoother than 480i).

My gripe is why do past games have the ability but a newer game (NCAA 07) not? At least give me 480p!! (XBOX can do 720p)

Ahhh, man I can't wait til the PS3 comes along (hopefully with HDMI output) so I can take full advantage of my HDTV.

My final setup to make it look as good as I can is in 4:3 mode on my widescreen tv with two big bars on the left and right. It cleans up some of the jaggies a bit.

Guys who have ESPN 2K5 check out the difference...and see what EA should have done.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:11 PM   #13
Pro

Chodite24's Arena

You really shouldn't even be playing a PS2 on an HDTV.
That is, if you actually care about how the picture looks.

A $1,500+ HDTV + an outdated POS PS2 = frustration

- BeerInBaltimore.com
- Xbox Live: B Klip
- PSN: Chodite
Old 07-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
MVP

kneebon5's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite24
You really shouldn't even be playing a PS2 on an HDTV.
That is, if you actually care about how the picture looks.

A $1,500+ HDTV + an outdated POS PS2 = frustration
i use the r b g cables too

last year i didnt feel like it was that big of a deal i have a 50 inch HDTV, but now that i have had a 360 for 8 months i dont think i could handle it. I doubt they were thinking about 50" HDTV's when they made the PS2, "the times, they are a-changin" but Ron Burgundy had never heard this song.

Last edited by kneebon5; 07-19-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:26 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingChef
Actually I'm using an S-video connection. That's probably mostly what it is. Plus the fact that it's Xbox.

But, again, is 480p automatic, or how to I make it happen? I'm seeing a few jaggies, but certainly a few less than last year and it's not a huge problem.

EDIT: Above poster answered my question. I need component for 480p.

Where can I get these/what kind of price point am I looking at?

Official sony component cables go for like 30 bucks.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »