Home

Line blocking is completely broken (PS2 version)

This is a discussion on Line blocking is completely broken (PS2 version) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
Rookie

mdurd2817's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Line blocking is completely broken (PS2 version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla
I'm playing on Heisman, since anything less is way too easy, and I have noticed that the lineman blocking is completely terrible. I played a game against Georgia Tech, with Virginia Tech, and my offensive linemen were constantly getting pancaked. For one thing, I think EA should just eliminate these completely fake "pancake" blocks to begin with. I have NEVER seen a defensive lineman hit a OL off the ball, so hard, that he falls straight on his ***. NEVER. Yet, this happens on a play by play basis. I even have my pass blocking at 99, and defensive break block at 0, and it still happens constantly. It's a complete joke. Combine this with the terrible "Jump the Snap" feature, and you've got a game where 79 rated defensive tackles from Duke can suddenly blow up pretty much any interior lineman, as long as he "jumps the snap", which, by the way, isn't even the correct term, because you could snap it on 1, 2, or fricking 7, and most of the time the CPU even uses this move, they guess right.

To make matters even worse, my defensive linemen are ALWAYS getting mauled off the line, by some of the most mediocre linemen in the game. But of course, this isn't nearly as huge a problem as it could be, since once again, the CPU refuses to committ to the running game.

Of course, most of this will be written off as "You just suck" and "tweak sliders", but the core of the NCAA line blocking game has been completely terrible for years, yet EA refuses to acknowledge it. I don't even think I need to go off on the terrible blocker "tunnel" vision and the completely idiotic way linemen attempt to block when pulling.
I can't stand this. Nothing bugs me more. This has been in the game for too long. Not even LBs and DBs with 56 inch verts bothered as much as this. DL get decleated the sameway in the game and it makes no sense. I could understand if they got blindsided chasing a play but for this to happen, OL or DL, at the line of scrimmage right after the snap is crazy. I'm thrilled this isn't next-gen even though I want own one of the systems for a while.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
Th* C*mm*shn*k*v

cliburn's Arena

OVR: 15

I had a good game on Heisman today with two 100 yard rushers, but I competely agree with the topic starter. 90 rated OGs were being pancaked every third play.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:21 PM   #11
Rookie

mdurd2817's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
The only thing you can do to play on that level is tweak the sliders. I play on Heisman because passing is way too easy otherwise, and it's still pretty easy on there to manually catch anything. I crank awareness and knockdowns all the way up.

Also, I put their break block at 0. It makes running a lot more realistic as your line might actually open up holes. The laying on their backs thing is a result of the Jump the Snap feature. On heisman they do that all the time even if you vary your cadence. And it doesn't seem to matter what your OL is rated or what their DL is rated. With those sliders it seeems like they won't pancake as much against the run but against the pass they still do.
No it's not. This has been in previous NCAAs dating back to at least '05.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2006, 07:33 PM   #12
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurd2817
No it's not. This has been in previous NCAAs dating back to at least '05.
Ok, well maybe it happens elsewhere too, but it happens as a result of that feature as well. Very often I might add.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I quit reading after the "I play on Heisman" part. Heisman on current-gen has always stunk. I hear 360 Heisman is a lot better though.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-20-2006, 09:26 PM   #14
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I quit reading after the "I play on Heisman" part. Heisman on current-gen has always stunk. I hear 360 Heisman is a lot better though.
Did you try hesiman this year on XBox ?.... it´s much much better... actually for some it will be a bit easy.

The D is not superman anymore i can have 75% complete with the QB, plus, the WR now catch the Ball
Old 07-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #15
Rookie

mdurd2817's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
My sole reason for playing on heisman in previous versions was because the game speed was faster. It's definitely give and take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
Ok, well maybe it happens elsewhere too, but it happens as a result of that feature as well. Very often I might add.
I agree. It happened to much in previous versions too, which is my biggest gripe, and now it's new and improved. If this was a direct reflection of the players rating, size, and strength it wouldn't be so bad.

Last edited by mdurd2817; 07-21-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 6

Hmm, I play it for ps2 on heisman and get realistic pretty much everything with 9 minute quarters. Now i'm not the best player but I do notice the oline doesn't get dominated as often if you use a different count like so many fake snaps before you hike and vary it. The d seems to adapt so if you do one fake snap per play for a while and switch to two fakes they jump. But the running game for me has been great. With wisconsin its realistic numbers and I can break one everynow and then even on heisman. I don't see what is wrong at all, it seems perfect with just a few minor awarness and knockdown adjustments.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »