Home

Pileups...

This is a discussion on Pileups... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:36 AM   #1
Pro

Fierce2k4's Arena

OVR: 5
Pileups...

In just about every football game played there is a fumble and you see players from both teams running crazy trying to capture the ball. These fumbles are some of the most exciting occurences that takes place during games. However in video games when a fumble takes place you automatically knows who recovers the ball no matter how many people are around it. I think it would be cool for EA or any other company that makes football games (nfl, whatever) to implement pileups in their games to add to the excitement. Pileups meaning you have a bunch of people at the bottom of the pile fighting for the ball and having the ref fight through to see who actually recovered the football. imo, if done right, this could be a small part of the game that goes a long way in the gameplay. Thoughts??
College Football Team: Florida State Seminoles
College Basketball Team: UNC Tar Heels
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Pileups...

I don't really care for the idea. I will say that I have a hard time picking up a loose fumble and maybe the camera should zoom in on fumbles to make it easier to do it.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
MVP

Mjphillips's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce2k4
In just about every football game played there is a fumble and you see players from both teams running crazy trying to capture the ball. These fumbles are some of the most exciting occurences that takes place during games. However in video games when a fumble takes place you automatically knows who recovers the ball no matter how many people are around it. I think it would be cool for EA or any other company that makes football games (nfl, whatever) to implement pileups in their games to add to the excitement. Pileups meaning you have a bunch of people at the bottom of the pile fighting for the ball and having the ref fight through to see who actually recovered the football. imo, if done right, this could be a small part of the game that goes a long way in the gameplay. Thoughts??
I love that idea man. Anything to add to the realism of football gaming is good with me.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

It's a cool idea and all but what are you gonna do when you're in-game and there's a fumble...and everyone from both teams is trying to get the ball...and it's not able to be picked up...and the quarter ends...and the ball's still on the ground...and you have to turn the game off because it's pointless...

As rudy said, it's hard enough sometimes for one man to get the ball. I'm not a programmer but I can't see anyway to do this and make it like it should be.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

First you need to have basic collision detection in the game, you have body parts going through other players now, I don't think they could do this with the currect team on the project. Doing something like this would probably cut too much into their profit.

Last edited by p_rushing; 01-09-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
First you need to have basic collision detection in the game, you have body parts going through other players now, I don't think they could do this with the currect team on the project. Doing something like this would probably cut too much into their profit.
Yes, this most definitely needs to be fixed. It's BEEN needing to be fixed for a long time.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
MVP

Rainey's Arena

OVR: 16

This would be fun to see. I don't know if any of the fighting for the ball should have any manual input, but it would be fun to watch playout.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
Rookie

dawgdan7280's Arena

OVR: 4

The big thing would just be the added bit of drama. No need for a big pile up...just a few players on the ground where you can't see the ball would be fine. But the camera would need to stay where it is until the ref makes the call, unless it's scooped up by the defense on the run.

They also need to bring back the chain gang for the added drama on close first downs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »