Home

Recruiting players with poor discipline

This is a discussion on Recruiting players with poor discipline within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
MVP

edmus's Arena

OVR: 6
Recruiting players with poor discipline

I was just wondering what everyone else's approach is to recruiting. How many guys with a discipline rating of "Poor" are you willing to sign in-season & during offseason recruiting? Do you have to suspend these guys all of the time? If you sign 2-3 each year, can you still stay in pretty good shape with NCAA standards?

In the first 3 years of my ASU dynasty (on PS2), I've avoided signing anybody with poor discipline. I'm also following some difficult recruiting guidelines that were posted by someone here on OS. As a 5-star program with an 12-1 record in my 3rd season (ranked #6), I could only allocate 20% of my budget to recruiting (6 stars = 15%, 4 stars = 25%). My recruiting class ended up ranked #24, which isn't terrible but I was hoping for better.

I spend nearly all of my 1st week points on scouting. Since my team is not in CA, TX, or FL, when a significant number of the players I scout have poor discipline (eliminating them from consideration), the points start to run out quick and recruiting becomes very stressful. I've had decent recruiting classes at ASU using these rules (in the range of #17-25), but I always end up with the fewest signings. I actually had a better recruiting class after I finished 7-6 in my 2nd year, probably because ASU's prestige was 4 stars & I had a 25% recruiting budget. I'm starting to consider relaxing my standards a little bit when my recruiting points become scarce.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Recruiting players with poor discipline

I never do. I scout every player I recruit. Not only does it help me see the discipline rating, but I also get a more realistic view of their skill. Also, I can allocate more points to training and recruiting. I usually have player discipline at 5%, recruiting at 45%, and training at 50%.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
MVP

edmus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
I never do. I scout every player I recruit. Not only does it help me see the discipline rating, but I also get a more realistic view of their skill. Also, I can allocate more points to training and recruiting. I usually have player discipline at 5%, recruiting at 45%, and training at 50%.
That's the same approach I take to recruiting. But with a recruiting budget that high, I would always have a top 5 recruiting class. So that's why I limit it based on my school's prestige level.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I've never seen the need to limit my recruiting. I just generally recruit only from the list of kids that actually are interested in my program. It's been my experience that the worse my program the worse the kids that are interested in my program. So, once my program becomes good, I SHOULD be able to get top notch classes. *shrugs*

Playing coach mode is enough of a challenge.

As far as poor discipline goes, I haven't really seen it be a problem though I could be wrong. Through 8 seasons with 2 teams in a dynasty I had I only had to discipline maybe 3 or 4 times and I'm certain I signed some kids with poor discipline. Now if a kid has low field awareness, he won't even smell a scholarship offer from me.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:50 AM   #5
MVP

edmus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
I've never seen the need to limit my recruiting. I just generally recruit only from the list of kids that actually are interested in my program. It's been my experience that the worse my program the worse the kids that are interested in my program. So, once my program becomes good, I SHOULD be able to get top notch classes. *shrugs*

Playing coach mode is enough of a challenge.

As far as poor discipline goes, I haven't really seen it be a problem though I could be wrong. Through 8 seasons with 2 teams in a dynasty I had I only had to discipline maybe 3 or 4 times and I'm certain I signed some kids with poor discipline. Now if a kid has low field awareness, he won't even smell a scholarship offer from me.
Thanks for the info. As for your opinion about limiting recruiting, I agree in principle. I enjoy the recruiting aspect of the game, maybe even more than actually playing, but its not the least bit challenging for me if I don't impose restrictions. I will sometimes sim an entire season of a dynasty, then save just before the offseason, and then do multiple trials of offseason recruiting so I can gauge whether I need to make the process tougher.

All I can say is that at ASU when my program prestige is 5 stars, I can guarantee you that I will have a top 5 class every single time unless I limit my budget. And if I'm playing as a 6-star team like Ohio State, my recruiting class will be ranked #1 in the country every single time even after a disappointing 2 or 3-loss season. I just don't see how that's realistic. Sure it might happen sometimes, but in this game its pretty much a lock for me (on the PS2 anyway).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Bad discipline players don't get your program in that much trouble. I think they hurt your academic prestige more than anything. As for recruiting, it is too easy if you know how to do it but who wants it to be too realistic? People like to take over bad programs and build them up. If recruiting was too hard (realistic), you'd never be able to take that small school to the title. It would be nice if there was a recruiting slider but if you want to make it harder on yourself, just allocate a ton of your points to discipline and training instead of recruiting. That will make it harder.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Bad discipline players don't get your program in that much trouble. I think they hurt your academic prestige more than anything. As for recruiting, it is too easy if you know how to do it but who wants it to be too realistic? People like to take over bad programs and build them up. If recruiting was too hard (realistic), you'd never be able to take that small school to the title. It would be nice if there was a recruiting slider but if you want to make it harder on yourself, just allocate a ton of your points to discipline and training instead of recruiting. That will make it harder.
That definitely will make it tougher. I have mine set at 34-34-32, training-recruiting-discipline. I figure the cpu probably sets their budget evenly like that so it's what I do.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:47 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Man it's tough recruiting with a bad team. I just started a dynasty with San Jose State. I simmed the 2006 season week by week to handle the in-season recruiting...I got noone. I set my budget to be 33-34-33, recruiting-training-discipline and signed 14 players but I did it with only 25 recruiting points. That was nerve racking.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »