Home

Names will not show up online again on Xbox 360!!

This is a discussion on Names will not show up online again on Xbox 360!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:26 AM   #17
Pro

FAIRDALE_KINGS's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Names will not show up online again on Xbox 360!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alburt Poohole
I can feel what you are saying because while I would like to have the names I really could care less about them because they won't do anything for my enjoyment of the game...But for the guys who need and want that it sucks.

So maybe put yourself in their shoes...Think f something thats really important to you...then imagine t not being in the game
And because of the fact that the names have been included for the past 10 years has been the reason that I have continued to play & enjoy the NCAA Football series.

I do not play the game with generic rosters. If I wanted a generic game I would pop in Coach K and put a magazine in front of me to identify the players.

Gaming is about simulating realism... I can not get excited about playing a game that identifies its players as HB #10. That is the reason that I switched from the EA Sports March Madness series a few years ago when there was a 328 player limit on the amount of edited players. That led to me switching to the 2K Sports College Hoops series.

And I haven't missed March Madness since.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 AM   #18
Rookie

morganic's Arena

OVR: 4

That part that bugs me the most about all of this is that it would be so simple to add in a few lines of code that allowed it. I stick to mainly playing dynasties because I can't stand playing online without names.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #19
Banned

Alburt Poohole's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRDALE_KINGS
And because of the fact that the names have been included for the past 10 years has been the reason that I have continued to play & enjoy the NCAA Football series.

I do not play the game with generic rosters. If I wanted a generic game I would pop in Coach K and put a magazine in front of me to identify the players.

Gaming is about simulating realism... I can not get excited about playing a game that identifies its players as HB #10. That is the reason that I switched from the EA Sports March Madness series a few years ago when there was a 328 player limit on the amount of edited players. That led to me switching to the 2K Sports College Hoops series.

And I haven't missed March Madness since.
Without disrespecting your commitment to names and authentic rosters I too play all my games online and many years I never got the rosters...sometimes I did though...But IMO the lack of a name on the back of a jersey does not make the game generic. Whether te names are there or not you know who the players are. WVU QB #10 will still be Pat White and play like Pat White no matter if he has a name on his jersey or not.

So While I'm sorry you won't be able to enjoy next gen names for your rosters the lack of names does not IMO make the game anymore generic or authentic. IMO names were just an added luxury...not a necessity. In fact the absence of the names will force me to learn more about the team I use more so than with the name on their back
Old 06-13-2007, 12:44 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganic
That part that bugs me the most about all of this is that it would be so simple to add in a few lines of code that allowed it. I stick to mainly playing dynasties because I can't stand playing online without names.
What lines of code would you suggest? Here is what I'm thinking...
Online.Names = On;

Oh, and while we're at it...
Game.play.fun = On;
(EA apologizes for setting it to Off in the past)
Old 06-13-2007, 12:46 AM   #21
Rookie

TylerDurdenVol's Arena

OVR: 4
Thumbs down Re: Names will not show up online again on Xbox 360!!

This was something that I had hoped and EXPECTED to be in this years version.There is NO excuse for the freaking XBOX and PS2 to have them online and not the 360 or PS3.I'm at a loss on this one!If 2k sports can do it for their basketball game then there is no explanation possible that EA could give for them not being included.DAMN THIS PISSES ME OFF!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2007, 12:58 AM   #22
Pro

FAIRDALE_KINGS's Arena

OVR: 13
Icon6 Re: Names will not show up online again on Xbox 360!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alburt Poohole
Without disrespecting your commitment to names and authentic rosters I too play all my games online and many years I never got the rosters...sometimes I did though...But IMO the lack of a name on the back of a jersey does not make the game generic. Whether te names are there or not you know who the players are. WVU QB #10 will still be Pat White and play like Pat White no matter if he has a name on his jersey or not.

So While I'm sorry you won't be able to enjoy next gen names for your rosters the lack of names does not IMO make the game anymore generic or authentic. IMO names were just an added luxury...not a necessity. In fact the absence of the names will force me to learn more about the team I use more so than with the name on their back
So, what you are saying is that I should only play with Louisville online because I am familiar with every single player on the Cardinal's roster?

I'm sorry. I make it a point to attempt to use every single team on the game at least once while playing online. It is near impossible to be familiar with every single player in the NCAA. And I'm sorry, but I am pretty familiar with every single team in the NCAA because I've researched their rosters for the past ten years while editing rosters. But I can only remember so much about each team. With names I am able to recognize those players that aren't on my favorite team. For instance, last year I used Utah a few times and without reviewing the offline rosters I wouldn't have known that Eric Weddle was a beast in real-life. Who freaking cares about CB #32. I don't. And obvously, over 35,000 people download rosters from my website every year that care about real rosters. Another 30,000+ frequent DT's roster site. And there are other roster editors & people that spend two weeks just to name their players each and every year.

At least with the names on the depth chart I can familiarize myself with the players on the game. While using Hawaii that is Colt Brennan, Davone Bess and Jason Rivers. Or Chase Halbrook for New Mexico State. etc.

Sure, everyone knows Pat White, Steve Slaton, Mike Hart, Brian Brohm. But who knows Omar Haugabook, Andre Woodson, Brian Johnson, Ian Johnson, and Jarett Dillard? With the player's name under their virtual representation the game is no longer generic. The game is lifeless when you see QB #15 instead of Colt Brennan.

I have no idea how this works. If indeed this is the NCAA stepping in I find it awful strange that the "current" gen will continue to have "real" rosters appear online. That just doesn't sound right. If both the current and next gen have no rosters that will really be bad. But it would at least make sense.

Finally, I can not believe that the NCAA has anything to do with this. First, if the NCAA was so mad they would have removed the ability to edit rosters period. There should be no distinction between using rosters online and using rosters in dynasty or exhibition mode.

Also, I can not see how EA can continue to promote the ability to import rosters to Madden from NCAA without the abiity to edit the player names. That would be ridiculous.

Think about... to play online with "real" rosters only affects the actual person that has the rosters. The opponent does not have to have rosters, too. So, I can play the game versus my brother at home in exhibition or dynasty mode but I can't take my rosters online to play someone else--- someone else that doesn't even have access to my "named" rosters. That is B.S.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

For anyone who has ever participated in an online league with NCAA (like I have), this really blows. I agree with FD. Being able to see the player names online only adds to the experience. I have no idea why EA and Tuburon would again fail to deliver on this.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

For people who say it's not a big deal you should have enough maturity to realize that others may not play the game the same way as you do and respect that aspect.

As Fairdale Kings said, I do know the Buckeyes and Warriors players but I use practically all the teams online. Sorry but I do not know who the TE for Army or the 3rd WR for Wyoming is, even as much a college football fan I am I don't know them all.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »