Home

In-Season Progression of Player Ratings

This is a discussion on In-Season Progression of Player Ratings within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #25

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: In-Season Progression of Player Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy79
I think the issue here is the general thought of regression in college athletics. Do player really regress - if you think about some of the core attributes speed, strength, agility etc. (mind you not the skill attributes) one can make an argument that a player 17 - 23 does not regress, unlike NFL players who do lose speed, strength, agility etc with age.

The skill attributes catch, pass block, run block, vision, tackling etc. should progress or remain the same during a college career based on experience, potential and coaching. If one looks at it in that perspective then regression wouldn't take place however the amount a player would progress would factor based on exp, potential and coaching. The issue I see is that the ratings are too inflated; at least in years past. So recruits ratings tend to be over inflated and when there is progression its overdone.

Which tends to lead to the argument of overhauling the ratings system. Maybe have two sets of attributes - physical attributes and skill attributes (who knows if this is being done already). So progression can effect one or the other or both. The only way I can see anytype of regression at all at the college level would be via injury or loss of confidence. Injury would effect the physicial and confidence would effect the skill attributes on a short term basis (during the course of a game).

As a former college coach I would have to disagree with the notion that player's skills do not erode while riding the pine in college.

I think regression should take the form of the user finding out that their player really wasnt that great to begin with. You see it a lot of times in college football where a player shows up at practice, has a bit of begineers luck and leaves an incorrect first impression. As the season wears on, you see the player really isn't all that great.

Then when he gets sat he begins to get lazy, lose focus, and lose his drive. While it is possible to work that player back up, it doesnt usually happen once they go down that path. A player's catch rating most certainly can take a hit if he isnt focused and his overall speed could take a hit as well if he isnt putting forth great effort every day.

There are so many recruits that are busts in real life that it aint even funny.

I do see your point though and skill regression should be very very minimal. The major hit should come in the form of stamina, awareness and to a certain extent, agility.

Last edited by Deegeezy; 06-26-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: In-Season Progression of Player Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy79
I think the issue here is the general thought of regression in college athletics. Do player really regress - if you think about some of the core attributes speed, strength, agility etc. (mind you not the skill attributes) one can make an argument that a player 17 - 23 does not regress, unlike NFL players who do lose speed, strength, agility etc with age.

The skill attributes catch, pass block, run block, vision, tackling etc. should progress or remain the same during a college career based on experience, potential and coaching. If one looks at it in that perspective then regression wouldn't take place however the amount a player would progress would factor based on exp, potential and coaching. The issue I see is that the ratings are too inflated; at least in years past. So recruits ratings tend to be over inflated and when there is progression its overdone.

Which tends to lead to the argument of overhauling the ratings system. Maybe have two sets of attributes - physical attributes and skill attributes (who knows if this is being done already). So progression can effect one or the other or both. The only way I can see anytype of regression at all at the college level would be via injury or loss of confidence. Injury would effect the physicial and confidence would effect the skill attributes on a short term basis (during the course of a game).
Very niiiiiice! now lets hope this happens

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »