Home

In-Season Progression of Player Ratings

This is a discussion on In-Season Progression of Player Ratings within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14
In-Season Progression of Player Ratings

This is a good little nugget of info from OS interview w/ EA Producers that I haven't heard about yet.

Quote:
We have modified the in-season progression of player ratings so that they can be updated after each week instead of at set points during the season. Now you will see players that are progressing well during the season go on hot streaks as their ratings improve.
On a separate, but related topic... one thing that I always wanted was to know/see, is there a difference in player progression (ratings) if a player is red-shirted or not. Is there a difference when making that decision? or is the only benefit gaining a year of eligibility and the progression will be the same either way?

I'd also like to know/see if I have a back-up QB, for example, and I put him in during blowouts to get playing time and gain experience, etc. Will this affect his player progression (ratings). There should be risk and rewards for putting in bench players (ex. risk of injury, awareness boost, etc.)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #2

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: In-Season Progression of Player Ratings

Only gripe I have with in-season progression is that there is not enough (or any at all) in-season DIGRESSION. Not every player gets better as the season goes on, some...really many, get worse. Especially young players.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I like the idea.... just curious as to how well it works. I just hope its not overdone.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Im fine with degression as long as it is realistic. Freshmen may lose strength/weight as the toll of moving up to the next level wears on them over the course of the season. Guys who sit on the bench may lose confidence and awareness. However, speaking as someone who has spent time on a bench, it doesn't mean you lose your other physical skills like catching or running. The majority of your time playing football is spent practicing, so I think any major digression that will occur would be along the mental side of things or those attributes that pertain specifically to gametime experience.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #5

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyred05
Im fine with degression as long as it is realistic. Freshmen may lose strength/weight as the toll of moving up to the next level wears on them over the course of the season. Guys who sit on the bench may lose confidence and awareness. However, speaking as someone who has spent time on a bench, it doesn't mean you lose your other physical skills like catching or running. The majority of your time playing football is spent practicing, so I think any major digression that will occur would be along the mental side of things or those attributes that pertain specifically to gametime experience.
You may be on to something there. Freshman and reserve players losing awareness and maybe stamina would be very realistic. It would make getting your back-ups in during blowouts for reps more important.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyred05
Perfectly stated.

However, the main point is that EA has NEVER given us digression, in any form. Gabe Watson, for example, got benched a couple games into his senior year, and never really made an impact again; yet all the while I'm playing NCAA, dude's a 98 or something.

As with any feature like this, the biggest fear is that it would be overdone. I certainly wouldn't want, say, Mike Hart, to be a 74 by mid-season this year. But it does happen quite often where guys are budding superstars their freshman and sophomore years, and yet wind up as backups or even off the team.

Say you recruit a #1 guy (usually an 80-84). You're guaranteed that guy is going to be an 85+ for the rest of his career. Yet you've got other kids who are progressing nicely from 72, to 75, to 77, and yet are never really worth starting. There's something off about that.

Instead - particularly with the 'fake' incoming players - I'd love to see HUGE shifts in ratings, literally where a kid is a 68 as a freshman, a 91 as a sophomore, and then settles into a nice 85 as a junior and senior. The #1 recruit types, same thing: maybe they come in as an 83, but maybe they're a 72 their sophomore year and eventually fall off the map. Maybe they're a 72 their sophomore year, but regain composure and end up the starter again junior year.

I think the word I'm looking for is consistency: there should be way more players who are downright inconsistent over their careers.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #7

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
Perfectly stated.

However, the main point is that EA has NEVER given us digression, in any form. Gabe Watson, for example, got benched a couple games into his senior year, and never really made an impact again; yet all the while I'm playing NCAA, dude's a 98 or something.

As with any feature like this, the biggest fear is that it would be overdone. I certainly wouldn't want, say, Mike Hart, to be a 74 by mid-season this year. But it does happen quite often where guys are budding superstars their freshman and sophomore years, and yet wind up as backups or even off the team.

Say you recruit a #1 guy (usually an 80-84). You're guaranteed that guy is going to be an 85+ for the rest of his career. Yet you've got other kids who are progressing nicely from 72, to 75, to 77, and yet are never really worth starting. There's something off about that.

Instead - particularly with the 'fake' incoming players - I'd love to see HUGE shifts in ratings, literally where a kid is a 68 as a freshman, a 91 as a sophomore, and then settles into a nice 85 as a junior and senior. The #1 recruit types, same thing: maybe they come in as an 83, but maybe they're a 72 their sophomore year and eventually fall off the map. Maybe they're a 72 their sophomore year, but regain composure and end up the starter again junior year.

I think the word I'm looking for is consistency: there should be way more players who are downright inconsistent over their careers.

Well put...To add to that I would also not mind seeing the occassional BUST. An amazing majority of high school recruits in real life end up busts yet in NCAA, what you see is what you get.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Well put...To add to that I would also not mind seeing the occassional BUST. An amazing majority of high school recruits in real life end up busts yet in NCAA, what you see is what you get.
Yeah, I can't believe I forgot to mention that. Of course, that too!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »