Home

NCAA Rosters Sacked on Xbox 360

This is a discussion on NCAA Rosters Sacked on Xbox 360 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #33
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: NCAA Rosters Sacked on Xbox 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsFootBall1977
good point TJ.... But what I see is that if this keeps up we might get player name editing removed from future ncaa games and that would suck big time because even if we cant share files at least we can do it ourselves...

This is not good for future rosters in the series...
And we have a winner.

The problem isn't how to get around it - the problem facing sports gamers is how to legitimize roster-sharing so we don't have to get around it - because otherwise, that decision is soon going to be made for us.

That's what I wrote about today.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #34
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan
What does EA or the NCAA have to gain by sacking the roster? The people that work on the rosters each year are not making any profit so whats wrong with people editing the rosters and then sharing them?
Not exactly true there.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 07-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #35
MVP

devilsjaw's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
What does EA or the NCAA have to gain by sacking the roster? The people that work on the rosters each year are not making any profit so whats wrong with people editing the rosters and then sharing them?
There are some idiots who sell the rosters on ebay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsFootBall1977
good point TJ.... But what I see is that if this keeps up we might get player name editing removed from future ncaa games and that would suck big time because even if we cant share files at least we can do it ourselves...

This is not good for future rosters in the series...
It appears as though they're already limiting more of our editability this year. We can no longer change the classes of players on the default rosters, which is already an issue this year. Example, for Ohio State fans, since DE # 91 (Ryan Williams) left the team a month ago, there is no backfill for him since there are no other RS-Sophs on the team that aren't already included on the roster.

And from what I've seen from the the little help scroll that appears while editing the rosters, it looks as though we can only change the names and one other aspect of recruits that we sign. Whereas 2 years ago we could change names, height, weight, equipment, skin color, etc. This is a bit of a let down for us NCAA fans that also follow recruiting and try to recruit in the NCAA game like the teams do in real life.

Oh well, I apologize if I went off topic.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #37
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Wow... ummm... yeah... that's a touch on the naive side. Regardless of what they are willing to say publically, some of these Roster makers are making thousands... yes THOUSANDS of dollars. I'm not going to get in the whole right and wrong aspect of it because these are donations and no one is forced to pay for them. But... please... don't be fooled into thinking a lot of these guys aren't making a lot of money for their work.

Check out my BLOG - Remodeling Clay

Follow me on Twitter: @RemodelingClay
Old 07-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #38
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

Quote:
If no one's profiting off of someone's else name without their permission - then nothing.

Example: I can talk about Lindsay Lohan all I want; it's perfectly legal. Now, if I choose to write a book about her without permission and sell it, the legal situation becomes very different indeed.

The key is profit. Now, one could argue that the NCAA is disingenuous regarding the way they profit off of their amateur athletes, but that's another story entirely. In this case - if no one's making money off rosters, it should be kosher.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #39
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsjaw
There are some idiots who sell the rosters on ebay.
The person selling the rosters on ebay is idiot but people who buy them off ebay are even bigger idiots.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #40
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_OS
Wow... ummm... yeah... that's a touch on the naive side. Regardless of what they are willing to say publically, some of these Roster makers are making thousands... yes THOUSANDS of dollars. I'm not going to get in the whole right and wrong aspect of it because these are donations and no one is forced to pay for them. But... please... don't be fooled into thinking a lot of these guys aren't making a lot of money for their work.
Agreed 100%. And my guess is that if this is EA's decision, they're going to say that the NCAA cracked down on them for exactly that reason.

Now, the more sensible thing to do would be for the NCAA to allow player names to be used, and then pool the money earned from those rights and give it to the athletes themselves in an academic trust, but once again - that's another story...
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »