Home

Is it me or can EA not win?

This is a discussion on Is it me or can EA not win? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2007, 12:07 AM   #17
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Is it me or can EA not win?

I think there in a great situation, I mean they run a monopoly on NFL games. But there will always be those that have a complaint about a game. I dont ever see a game being perfect, every game will have its flaws and glitches, so EA has good money and exclusive rights, in that aspect their in good shape. As for everyone being happy with their game, that will just never happen.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 14

I rented allpro football tonight btw... I've only played a few games but it seems to me like NCAA is a much more polished product. Allpro looks like fun in its own way, but I can't help feeling like it's also way behind the times as well. I do like the closeups and the player models and the added personality and atmosphere but it seems archaic in a lot of ways. So in that aspect EA is keeping ahead of the times imo. I think if this were 2005 it might be different but you can see the improvements EA has made. I honestly can't see how anyone can say Allpro is a better football game then NCAA.

So in other words it's not like EA is just resting on their laurels here and saying hey we own the market we can put out crap. They have the best football game out there imo and it's not just because of the license. NBA Live is in serious need of help, but Fifa are excellent games. Fight Night round 3 is awesome. Tiger Woods I havent played but supposedly its good if you are that lazy and want to play golf on a video game. I just dont understand how people can say EA puts out crap. Most of their games are top notch for their respective sports imo. That hasn't necessarily been the case the past few years but this year is different. I could see people complaining the past several years. Madden has been really lacking as have a lot of other EA games, but this year they've really done a lot of good things and seem to have their heads screwed on straight not just with NCAA but with their sports games in general.

Last edited by Walker8; 07-23-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:09 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker8
I rented allpro football tonight btw... I've only played a few games but it seems to me like NCAA is a much more polished product. Allpro looks like fun in its own way, but I can't help feeling like it's also way behind the times as well. I do like the closeups and the player models and the added personality and atmosphere but it seems archaic in a lot of ways. So in that aspect EA is keeping ahead of the times imo. I think if this were 2005 it might be different but you can see the improvements EA has made. I honestly can't see how anyone can say Allpro is a better football game then NCAA.

So in other words it's not like EA is just resting on their laurels here and saying hey we own the market we can put out crap. They have the best football game out there imo and it's not just because of the license. NBA Live is in serious need of help, but Fifa are excellent games. Fight Night round 3 is awesome. Tiger Woods I havent played but supposedly its good if you are that lazy and want to play golf on a video game. I just dont understand how people can say EA puts out crap. Most of their games are top notch for their respective sports imo. That hasn't necessarily been the case the past few years but this year is different. I could see people complaining the past several years. Madden has been really lacking as have a lot of other EA games, but this year they've really done a lot of good things and seem to have their heads screwed on straight not just with NCAA but with their sports games in general.
I don't think it's fair to compare All-Pro to NCAA or Madden right now. AP is a first version game while the others have had a few releases already on the 360. Maybe a comparison to Madden 06 or 07 would be more fair.

I think the "EA puts out crap" line is simply due to the progress they've made in games. You have to remember that a decade ago, EA dominated in every sport. Whatever game EA put out was the game that everyone played. Nowadays it's a crapshoot. They don't make the best college basketball, NBA, or NHL game anymore, and they were close to losing the ground in football before they bought up the exclusive license. They did take over the baseball crown before the license situation, but that was after the travesties of Triple Play.

I think people just expect more from EA. They advertise more then anyone, get the stars behind them, and have been the staple for sports games for decades now. Most of us grew up on them. But over the last 5-10 years, they haven't progressed as much from year to year as we hoped. Madden 04 had a deeper franchise mode then Madden 07 on the 360. It is taking over 3 years of a new console to get features from the old ones in. The gameplay in many of their games suffers the same flaws year after year and it seems like their games are not being tested as well as they used to be (although this complaint can be waged against all companies these days). So they aren't making crap, but they aren't progressing like they should. When people are turning in their 360 copies of games for the old generation game, there is a problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »