Home

Player Names

This is a discussion on Player Names within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Player Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I don't believe the NCAA has the authority to sell the player's naming rights. The players likeness is owned by themselves. Their amateur status prevents them from selling their naming rights to EA but the NCAA doesn't have a say in this matter imo.
true.
even the mascots have ownership over their character.
EA cannot put their likeness in the game without paying them.
im not sure about the dudes their wear suits, but the guys who are themselves such as indians or the hawaii warrior guy have to get money.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreat
But atleast with them playing for the school they are receiving a free education in exchange for the school making profit off of them.
Im all for the naming of college players but rules are rules.

If you compare the profits made by universities and colleges to the 'free education' the student-athletes receive, there is no contest. Keep in mind, these athletes can't logically work while in college. By the time they have graduated, they will usually have no money.

College athletics is a meat market. So, the argument of "Hey, they have a scholarship! That is like getting paid!" Is bogus on most levels. (Not all... but most)
Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
If you compare the profits made by universities and colleges to the 'free education' the student-athletes receive, there is no contest. Keep in mind, these athletes can't logically work while in college. By the time they have graduated, they will usually have no money.

College athletics is a meat market. So, the argument of "Hey, they have a scholarship! That is like getting paid!" Is bogus on most levels. (Not all... but most)
I agree. When they can pay coaches millions per year, something isn't quite right. For most kids the scholarship is great. For the elite players that generate a ton of money for the colleges, they get screwed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
I agree. When they can pay coaches millions per year, something isn't quite right. For most kids the scholarship is great. For the elite players that generate a ton of money for the colleges, they get screwed.
They do not get screwed. They get picked in the 1st round of the following year's NFL draft is what they get.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 09-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
They do not get screwed. They get picked in the 1st round of the following year's NFL draft is what they get.
Not everyone. Troy Smith was exciting to watch, generated a lot of money and was a 5th round pick. A lot of college stars that generate money don't always get their rewards at the NFL draft but this is another topic altogether.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:25 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Not everyone. Troy Smith was exciting to watch, generated a lot of money and was a 5th round pick. A lot of college stars that generate money don't always get their rewards at the NFL draft but this is another topic altogether.
That was because of his height though, not that he got screwed. In general the top college players are using the NCAA as a springboard to big money in the NFL so I think it's really somewhat unfair to say they are getting screwed. It's a symbiotic relationship.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 10-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #15
Pro

billysims's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
That was because of his height though, not that he got screwed. In general the top college players are using the NCAA as a springboard to big money in the NFL so I think it's really somewhat unfair to say they are getting screwed. It's a symbiotic relationship.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 AM   #16
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

I guess this has run off topic but I don't have as big of an issue with players not getting paid but with how much money is generated now in college football and particularly how much the coaches are getting paid. In the old days, the money wasn't this great and everybody thought everything was fair. But now it seems any half decent BCS program is paying a head coach over $1 million a year and many coaches are making $2+ million. I think at least 5 SEC coaches are making over $2 million a year led by the Nicktator at $4 million (and this doesn't include radio/tv deals and other endorsements).

I just find the excuse of not giving football players a stipend because they need the extra money to help out other school sports to ring really hollow when a lot of that extra money is making the coaches very wealthy. That's my biggest beef.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »