Home

Need help throwing the deep ball!

This is a discussion on Need help throwing the deep ball! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Need help throwing the deep ball!

So as the title suggests, I need some helpful advice on how to throw the deep ball. I want to know how to throw the ball so I can lead my receiver and hit him in stride. Most times when I try to through the deep ball, it ends up being either significantly short and gets picked off cause (the db has eyes in the back of his head, but that's another story, and/or) my receiver for fight for the ball. Most of the time my receivers end up stopping to make that twisting jumping catch, which annoys the hell out of me cause either the db gets his hands on it and it gets intercepted off the deflection, or my receiver gets his hands on it and it gets intercepted off his deflection.

I'm not looking for a way to cheese by always throwing the deep ball, I'd just like some advice as to how to throw the deep ball when I do take that chance. I think I've only hit a receiver in stride once on a fly route and let me tell you, I got pretty excited about it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
MVP

GJEM's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Need help throwing the deep ball!

What I do is step into the throw. You obviously need a decent pocket or roll out a bit but just move up on the left analog stick and press respective receiver button. Pressure on the receiver button does matter but just go into practice mode and get the feel of it before a game. Since I read that somewhere on this forum the passing game is fun again. Then once you get the hang of that then you can start practicing on how you can move the left analog stick different ways to get better at slants, out routes and a verity of different types of passing plays. Hope that helps a bit.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I've found that leading the receiver works best when you lead the WR just AFTER you press the WR button. If I try to push up before I hit the WR button the pass wasn't as accurate. I also found using the d-pad to lead the WR worked better than the left analog stick (not super significant but I did think it was better). Definately go into practice mode and test things out.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJEM
What I do is step into the throw. You obviously need a decent pocket or roll out a bit but just move up on the left analog stick and press respective receiver button. Pressure on the receiver button does matter but just go into practice mode and get the feel of it before a game. Since I read that somewhere on this forum the passing game is fun again. Then once you get the hang of that then you can start practicing on how you can move the left analog stick different ways to get better at slants, out routes and a verity of different types of passing plays. Hope that helps a bit.
I'm okay on the slants and out routes. I usually just bullet my slant routes and receivers can catch those in stride. Out routes are tough cause of the camera angle, but I'm pretty good at leading my receiver on the crossing patterns. Sometimes though I lead them a little too much and it either falls incomplete or a safety will come up and pick it. (One time though, it was man coverage and I had a guy coming across the field from the left side and the receiver on the right was running a fly and the cb on the fly route totally had eyes in the back of his head and broke on the overthrown ball and got a pick 6. He should get a medal or something).

Anyways...In those instances I overthrow crossing patterns, I kind of want to be able to overthrow the fly patterns like that. I'm starting to think that if I HOLD the left analog stick I overthrow pretty well. Do you hold up on the left analog stick for a while?

p.s. I'm playing on 360. That could make a difference on our discussion.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I've found that leading the receiver works best when you lead the WR just AFTER you press the WR button. If I try to push up before I hit the WR button the pass wasn't as accurate. I also found using the d-pad to lead the WR worked better than the left analog stick (not super significant but I did think it was better). Definately go into practice mode and test things out.
So you can control the ball after you throw it? Do your receivers try to stop and jump to catch the ball or are you able to put it far enough ahead that they are able to go get it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
MVP

GJEM's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip3rman
Do you hold up on the left analog stick for a while?
Just enough to get about a step. It's usually all about getting used to the feel and timing. I also play on 360.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

all the advice is really good. stay in pocket, i don't know if you you get a bonus or something for doing that but it does help. don't drop back too far out of pocket. you can't get much height on the ball and i think they did that because they just couldn't get the coverage right and didn't want to have a bomb fest like last year so they took the touch off the passes. i feel that it will be back next year but one thing that found out(not mastered, only know about) is that you actually have to put power on the ball the further your reciever is down field. so don't tap it. if you reciever is 30 yards down field when you throw it he will catch it 45 yards down field so you cant touch pass. you have too put some power on it so it gets there and the reciever dosen't have too slow down or come back for it. its different than we have ever had but it helps. i think its too easy to pass on this game but i never throw deep unless i have a reciever really open or i push hard to the side in 0 coverage because i can get the defender out from being between me and the reciever. the flats are always easy and so are outs and curls. just throw on the breaks of the recievers and not too late and your money. practice with hawaii for a hour or two and the passing game starts too get real easy. any bunch formation or over load set you can destroy. watch for lb's covering fast te's or inside recievers. i actually play past gen now because of alot of things but mostly because the passing game is too easy but it sucks because its almost stupid to throw deep when its so easy too go short. and just so you know 08 on xbox is amazing. after 3 months on 360 i put in the old one and it was football again. fyi. good luck

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »