Home

How Much Realism Can One Expect When the Games are Designed for 5 min Quarters?

This is a discussion on How Much Realism Can One Expect When the Games are Designed for 5 min Quarters? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #49
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: How Much Realism Can One Expect When the Games are Designed for 5 min Quarters?

I usually play 9-10 minute quarters but then I don't snap the ball until the play clock gets under 10 and usually under 5. Playing 5 minute quarters that way means 1-2 drives and the half is over.

I'm not a fan of picking plays in 2 seconds and snapping in 5 seconds every play in order to get a realistic number of plays on offense per team. To me that leaves a huge part of the game, clock management and killing time to keep the ball out of the hands of the other team's offense, out of the game.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: How Much Realism Can One Expect When the Games are Designed for 5 min Quarters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
Wasted? I can't think of a better way to spend my time than playing NCAA!
But for you it's work so when you get leisure time isn't NCAA the last thing you want to see???

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 31

Good post. It frustrates the hell out of me that NCAA and Madden both fail to put in an accelerated clock. Time of possesion is one of the biggest keys to my style of play (wishbone offense ball control old school football) and without accelerated clock and CPU clock management I cannot get the realism I want.

Someone mentioned selective realism, well accelerated clock is exactly that. It speeds up the game time but allows for accurate statistics.

The lack of this feature will likely prevent me from buying either NCAA or Madden (since no PC version).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #52
MVP

UNC_Pete's Arena

OVR: 22

It's not a deal breaker for me but it'd sure be nice. This may be the first NCAA I'll enjoy in a while, especially since it seems the TO's and LB and secondary AI are improved. But, like the thread suggests, the fix exists, it just won't be implemented until later (if we're lucky).
Old 06-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #53
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
I've got a theory working for which I plan to play 15 minute quarters. Suspicion is that this will be way too long, but I've got it working for NHL (20 minute periods) and CHoops 2K8 (20 minute halves), why not football?

Every time I think about it all I'm reminded of is how terrible a guy must be on defense if he allows a "realistic" number of points playing a quarter and a half. Not talking trash in the slightest, but you have to admit it's curious: a bad defensive game for 5 minute quarters translates to allowing like 120 points in a full-length game. I'm just really curious to see what the games are like when I actually play solid defense, where every yard allowed is a bad thing.

If I play my first game on 15 minute quarters and find myself allowing 900 yards of offense and 70 points, well, guess what I just learned: my defense sucks. If I can, however, continue this path and get to a point where I'm allowing, say, 19 points per game, who's to say how good the games (the experience) will have gotten by that point?

We'll see.
you are missing the fact that in the game it progresses much faster, less time in between plays, et cetera
Old 06-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #54
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

That's a fair point, auburn. But, still, it's a new era for me and sports gaming. I want to play full-length games, end of story. If a given game is incapable of providing that, that's fine. But until I prove to myself otherwise, I'm giving the game (NCAA 09 in this case) the benefit of the doubt. I mean even giving your point full credence - 12 or 13 minutes, then. Still a far cry from 6 or 7, even 10.

I just wanna test it, that's all I'm saying.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »