Home

When do we get next-gen AI ?

This is a discussion on When do we get next-gen AI ? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #33
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: When do we get next-gen AI ?

Well. Pump faking sometimes cause some defenders to blow coverage but i don't know if thats related to what you're saying.

On offense, with the new homefield advantage thing. If you audible and hot route when its really loud, theres a high chance that your wr's will run wrong routes.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #34
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Well. Pump faking sometimes cause some defenders to blow coverage but i don't know if thats related to what you're saying.

On offense, with the new homefield advantage thing. If you audible and hot route when its really loud, theres a high chance that your wr's will run wrong routes.
The things you mention require a secondary source (Pump faking , hot routes etc..)
I'm talking about flat out missing an assignment from the get go due lack of playtime and brain activity

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #35
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingFan4Ever
I'll even take 2004 PS2 AI over last season's "AI".

I'm still miffed at why that game played so well and none since (current gen or next gen) have not played even close to that.

You'd think things would only get better over time.
I know that 2004 is worshiped like a god on most boards including this one, but with the exception of the QB A.I., 08's A.I. was way better than 04. The A.I. was so bad on 04 that at least a quarter of the passing plays were money plays. It was the only time in the history of the series that I(an average player) had to play on Heisman with sliders adjusted in favor of the CPU so that I wouldn't score on every series in 4 plays or less. The CPU couldn't run at all no matter what adjustments were made, so they threw 50 times a game. Luckily they had Robo QB to keep them in games.

Because of the fun people had with that game, most seem not to remember that it was seriously flawed in the A.I. department. Of course the expectations weren't a fraction of what they are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
The things you mention require a secondary source (Pump faking , hot routes etc..)
I'm talking about flat out missing an assignment from the get go due lack of playtime and brain activity
With the exception of some occasional dropped passes, developers seem to be very hesitant to program too many miscues that don't have an obvious observable cause. I think they might fear that most Users will be upset seeing a player make random mental blunders.(Baseball games do the best at showing these mental errors, basketball the worst)

Another thing that has been a problem is that when those mental mistakes have been in games, the animations haven't really been complex enough for the User to dissect what occurred. Where you can see that this is "good" bad A.I. in that the mistake is make because of low awareness, instead of "bad" bad A.I. where its just poor programming. It the past players have been like statues not reacting at all, and the User doesn't know what to make of what happened.

This is where more advanced post play animations could really add a lot to the game. Seeing a player hang his head, or do the "my bad" chest slap, or have another player get in his face yelling at him or giving him encouragement.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #36
Ion6 Studios

OVR: 5

I have nothing to say.
PES 2014 (PC)
GTA V (Ps3)

Looking For:
PS4

Last edited by Altimus; 07-07-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #37
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
The A.I. was so bad on 04 that at least a quarter of the passing plays were money plays ... The CPU couldn't run at all no matter what adjustments were made, so they threw 50 times a game. Luckily they had Robo QB to keep them in games.

Because of the fun people had with that game, most seem not to remember that it was seriously flawed in the A.I. department.
QFT, sir.

My memories of 04 are as fond as the next guy's, but iirc that was the game in which I was virtually guaranteed to lead the nation in rush defense, mostly because the CPU only ran about 12 times per game.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #38
Rookie

mike1409's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Yep,it was in Madden last year. Although it didn't do crap. I ran the same play constantly to check out this "feature"....and not 1 time did the defense stop it,oh yea it showed my play diagram on the field like the defense knew what was coming,but it was utterly worthless.

Again what is the direction for the franchises? Are they going to continue to be arcade or move twoards sim.

The problem with sim is it is not sexy and doesn't make good features for the cover.

And if we move too sim it may be to difficult for arcade players. Who wants to have to spend 10 years building a dynasty to just become respectable? I would certainly get more satisfaction from this but would anyone else?
Old 07-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

This is why the Internet and the advent of online
leagues is so great:

bad AI doesn't matter when you can play against human opponents anywhere, anytime.

The caveat in football games (and most other team sports games) is that your opponent can only control one of their 11 players at a time, so AI is always going to play a significant role in the game, even if it's been relegated to a supporting role on the team.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #40
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Honor
I'm still waiting for your response to my question on whether or not the sliders in Madden '09 will actually work this time around. You seem to avoid any questions about actual game play, so I pretty much gave up on anything being answered, other than how the stadium shots will be improved in 2010, because we all know how important that is.

But, yeah, when I get the time, I'll be more than happy to give a few tips on how you can improve the awful CPU AI for both titles, to keep me interested for longer than 2 seasons. Maybe you can start by not forcing me to control all 32 teams every year, to keep the draft somewhat realistic - and teams from benching/dropping Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

I'll include that in my PM, along with the actual AI game play issues.

First of all, if you were to look at a certain thread that is stickied at the top of the Madden thread, you might find Ian answering gameplay questions about Madden. Here, I'll even help you out a little bit..

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-cummings.html

Also, what makes me scratch my head is that you are so quick to criticize and pop off about how you could send Ian a list of 20 problems with the AI game play, but when he tells you that he would like that list, you backtrack and say that you'll send it when you get around to it.

My question to all of this is, if you are so disappointed with the gameplay AI and really want it to improve, why wouldn't you jump at the opportunity to "help out"?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »