Home

Psychological phenomenon going on here

This is a discussion on Psychological phenomenon going on here within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
Banned

Geekboy's Arena

OVR: 5
Psychological phenomenon going on here

They should give this a clinical name and it should be put into medical dictionaries.

Every year before the release of EA's NCAA there is pre release hype. People that get a preview of the game talk about this and that but how the game is improved. There is the standard little criticism here or there. This should be tweaked, that should be tweaked but over all a better game than last years.

The game is released and at first wildly praised. Then slowly but surely the criticisms and the standard comparision to 2K. Then the argument threads. Those that are happy and say quit bitching and those that keep bitching.

Look at all the other sport gaming threads. It's the same vicious cycle. Like lemmings we continue to shell out the bucks and some of us just accept the inevitable and some cry out to sue EA.

I do have to say that this year does seem more vitriolic than previous years.

It does seem that much of the game is broken and there are countless threads to prove it.
Sliders don't work at all, roster problems, no pass rush and on and on. This isn't your normal 'the game doesn't feel real' complaints. These are glaring flaws and it's getting worse it seems.

But EA seems to get away with it because the game 'LOOKS AWESOME.'

Oh well, I'm one of the lemmings like the rest and am now sitting with my game that was released two days ago and now I have to wait another five to ten days for a roster patch.

I also have to sign up to Xbox Live to get the patch.

I guess I'll keep jumping hoops year after year with this game until the NFL and the NCAA decide to do the right thing and not sell their license to one company exclusively.

God forbid doing that because it would force competition which is great for us that shell out over $60 every year that get duped time and time again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
vs. the World

frankplastictrees's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Psychological phenomenon going on here

The game has problems, but nothing that has me criticizing every little thing. After a couple of days of messing with the sliders, I have them doing a good enough job for me to really enjoy the game. Even with broken sliders I've been able to adjust a few things here and there thanks to some great suggestions, and I just got done playing 4 very close fun games.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekboy
Oh well, I'm one of the lemmings like the rest and am now sitting with my game that was released two days ago and now I have to wait another five to ten days for a roster patch.

I really enjoy playing the game; but I agree that a game shouldn't need to be patched to have such basic things as human CPU QBs instead of what we got, Super Human CPU QBs.

However, it migh make you feel better to know that a free silver Xbox Live account gets patches as well as a paid account.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
All Star

OVR: 33

I agree with the new psychological phenomenon thing.

I have never seen so much blind scrutiny, blind praise. The feeling of entitlement because someone's forked over $60. The willingness the defend something you enjoy. The hate. The love.

Maybe a new cultural phenomenon is happening.

ps. someone should do a clinical research on this or something. might be quite interesting.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekboy
They should give this a clinical name and it should be put into medical dictionaries.

Every year before the release of EA's NCAA there is pre release hype. People that get a preview of the game talk about this and that but how the game is improved. There is the standard little criticism here or there. This should be tweaked, that should be tweaked but over all a better game than last years.

The game is released and at first wildly praised. Then slowly but surely the criticisms and the standard comparision to 2K. Then the argument threads. Those that are happy and say quit bitching and those that keep bitching.

Look at all the other sport gaming threads. It's the same vicious cycle. Like lemmings we continue to shell out the bucks and some of us just accept the inevitable and some cry out to sue EA.

I do have to say that this year does seem more vitriolic than previous years.

It does seem that much of the game is broken and there are countless threads to prove it.
Sliders don't work at all, roster problems, no pass rush and on and on. This isn't your normal 'the game doesn't feel real' complaints. These are glaring flaws and it's getting worse it seems.

But EA seems to get away with it because the game 'LOOKS AWESOME.'

I guess I'll keep jumping hoops year after year with this game until the NFL and the NCAA decide to do the right thing and not sell their license to one company exclusively.

God forbid doing that because it would force competition which is great for us that shell out over $60 every year that get duped time and time again.
Great post and fairly accurate, but for me I've decided to just roll with it and hope for the best which in all honesty probably won't be much. I'm really starting to believe that nothing is gonna change until we the consumer back off their product until they start giving us our $60 worth of product. This game in all hosnesty probably is worth $20 with all the issues. Peace!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
Redskins Pride

OVR: 6

I like to play sim against a human opponent (which pretty much means everyone NOT playing ranked ...). Playing the CPU has never appealed to me so a lot of folks frustrations are lost on me. I think it plays pretty well Hum vs Hum. Madden 08 was a terrible, terrible travesty of a game so I played APF til NCAA09. I'm happy. I think this game is equal to, if not, slightly better than APF. It has a bunch of flaws that I really hope they patch up but not going to bitch too much about it.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKYWALKER1
Great post and fairly accurate, but for me I've decided to just roll with it and hope for the best which in all honesty probably won't be much. I'm really starting to believe that nothing is gonna change until we the consumer back off their product until they start giving us our $60 worth of product. This game in all hosnesty probably is worth $20 with all the issues. Peace!!

The game is worth what people will pay for it, obviously people are paying $60 so it is worth $60 if it was only worth $20 people would not pay $60 for the game.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Nah, it's just good old American consumerism.

We see something that is supposedly better than what we already have and we can't control our desire to have bigger and better all of the time.

Only after the purchase do we see that perhaps what we bought wasn't bigger or better at all. OR maybe we do enjoy the game... but you can be sure that in another 8-10 months we will yet again be enticed by something that we don't have that MIGHT possibly be better than what we already have.

I'm as bad as anyone else. I used to buy a new game every year, no questions asked. Once I took on more financial burdens, I kept telling myself that I was going to stop buying every year and just buy every 2-3 years. While I did take a year or two off from NCAA and Madden, I am still pretty much in the same boat. I tell myself every year, "Ok, THIS is going to be the game that will hold me over for years to come."

Every year I buy into that line, and every year I am disappointed. Although, I did go back and buy NFL 2K5 for 99 cents, so hopefully that is a step in the right direction for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »