Home

Are sports games too expensive?

This is a discussion on Are sports games too expensive? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Are sports games too expensive?

Take out Mascot Mash or whatever it is and sell it for $50.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #26
Rookie

ufox1810's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Are sports games too expensive?

Like a few people have already said, it'll never change because we still buy them every year. These games are top sellers year after year, so EA has no motivation to lower prices. The example with 2k5 being released at a discounted price was a marketing ploy to gain some of the market share. It worked because I for one bought it when I normally probably wouldn't have, but I also paid my $60 for Madden that year. I will continue to buy NCAA because I would guess it equates to somewhere around 65-70% of my video game playing time each year, so to me it's well worth the $60. Someone said they would gladly pay $200 for a perfect game because they would play it for 200 hours and a $1/hour for entertainment is a bargain. Well I easily play NCAA for 60+ hours every year, so to me I'm getting that same value.

I know it's different for every person and the experience they get out of the game (and I definitely wouldn't complain if sports game were cheaper), but at this point the manufacturers just have no motivation to do so. They still move units regardless of the price tag.

Side note: The car comparison was great. I used to remember 10+ years ago when you could take a sports game in 9-10 months after its release and still get a good $25 for it. Now you're lucky to get $5 for a sports title. That's why I have just decided to keep them all...and probably why my collection is close to getting out of hand.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »