Home

Are speed ratings a problem in NCAA 09?

This is a discussion on Are speed ratings a problem in NCAA 09? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #49
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Are speed ratings a problem in NCAA 09?

Quote:
Another issue though is how much better the O-playbooks got while the defensive books still stink. The offense got all these new concepts in the passing game and the defense wasn't given anything to counter them with.

The "drive" play and the extra stuff out of the 3x1 sets normally would prompt a defense to use combo coverages, but we don't have them. The defense wasn't given any new ways to lineup to combat the new offensive stuff.

Its like using a high school defensive playbook to stop an NFL offense. You just don't have the tools.
Mentioned this briefly on another board. The offense got big upgrades and the defense received Minor upgrades playbook wise. Each year they add all these new offensive plays and that is to be applauded. But then they add nothing much to defense and that is just another reason why defense is always having to play "catch up."

With no sophisticated line stunts in the game and Hoover offensive linemen, you do have plenty of time pocket wise to make all the reads you want. But, I suppose this was inevitable. For years it was about nano blitzing. Now, they are trying to fix that it seems, but the Dline has not received the attention it needs so we are like in the transition phase, with no blitzes, as of yet anyways, but also no realistic pressure from the Dline.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
You should probably use Troy for this job. Leave no doubt.
hahaha
Old 07-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Mentioned this briefly on another board. The offense got big upgrades and the defense received Minor upgrades playbook wise. Each year they add all these new offensive plays and that is to be applauded. But then they add nothing much to defense and that is just another reason why defense is always having to play "catch up."
Until they improve the zone, Dline, and blitzing logic, the defensive playbooks are pretty much irrelevant IMO.

With what we're given, I don't see any point in using anything but man defense from the Nickle, Dime, or Quarter. Blitzing is pointless, there's no line stunts or coordination, and the zone is a negative. I probably call man cover 2 90% of the time, and I don't think that will change until they actually reward you for calling a zone or blitz.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Until they improve the zone, Dline, and blitzing logic, the defensive playbooks are pretty much irrelevant IMO.

With what we're given, I don't see any point in using anything but man defense from the Nickle, Dime, or Quarter. Blitzing is pointless, there's no line stunts or coordination, and the zone is a negative. I probably call man cover 2 90% of the time, and I don't think that will change until they actually reward you for calling a zone or blitz.
There isn't any strategy involved in calling defensive plays. You can't get burned deep. The middle is wide open no matter what you do. There is no reward for calling what should be a good game plan. Its bad. And I have news for you, this was by design so you won't be seeing a patch for it.

On the last gen, I used to move guys around, manually zone blitz by hot routing a LB to blitz and a DE or DT to back off and play zone. You were rewarded for good situational defense. This generation of NCAA football is dead. The engine is broken beyond repair at this point.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
On the last gen, I used to move guys around, manually zone blitz by hot routing a LB to blitz and a DE or DT to back off and play zone. You were rewarded for good situational defense. This generation of NCAA football is dead. The engine is broken beyond repair at this point.
I remember last year, some ***hole kept burning me with quick slant passes. Then, one play, I called a defense where both DEs dropped into a short zone, he threw his quick slant and it was a pick 6 (back when a pick 6 wasn't a 3 times a game affair).

Not so much anymore.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #54
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
There isn't any strategy involved in calling defensive plays. You can't get burned deep. The middle is wide open no matter what you do. There is no reward for calling what should be a good game plan. Its bad. And I have news for you, this was by design so you won't be seeing a patch for it.

yeah fist...i used to love scheming on defense where the opposing player would not know where the blitz was coming from and who was dropping back into coverage. Now, with the insane amount of time I'm hesitant to blitz because I know my guy won't get there the majority of the time and I need the extra cover guy to help in the middle of the field.

I just hope that when the patch NCAA they don't go overboard and make DL'men the equivalent of pre-patch OL'men, trucking whoever is in front of them at will. Needless to say I'm not that confident.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #55
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

So the "Breakaway Engine" is basically slowing down the defense. LOFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Basically the Kickoff and punt coverage looks like a Dora the Explorer game I have for my daughter. Help Dora escape the spooky forest. Of course the spooky trees move at the speed of an EA defender and don't really have good pursuit angles, so she escapes and claps and we move on to the next game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »