Home

The deep ball and play action passing

This is a discussion on The deep ball and play action passing within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Question The deep ball and play action passing

Hey guys just looking for input from other users on this one. I am trying to see if you all are having extreme difficulty completing the deep ball and difficulty with play action passing.

I am playing heisman sliders with pass blocking at zero, and awareness 85, knockdowns at 70(down from 100) if that helps.

I rarely have success with the deep ball, and that said I have kind of abandoned it. When I say no success I mean completing 1-12 over course of like 9 games type of stats. Of course I am looking for mismatches not throwing into deep coverage that goes without saying, it just seems every times there is seperation the defender makes up ground and with a high leap knocks the ball down. (Awareness rating?, Knockdown rating?)

Also on play action passes it seems that they get blown up really, really fast. Actually it is the only time the AI gets a pass rush. Anyone else seeing these things?

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: The deep ball and play action passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgameonly
Hey guys just looking for input from other users on this one. I am trying to see if you all are having extreme difficulty completing the deep ball and difficulty with play action passing.

I am playing heisman sliders with pass blocking at zero, and awareness 85, knockdowns at 70(down from 100) if that helps.

I rarely have success with the deep ball, and that said I have kind of abandoned it. When I say no success I mean completing 1-12 over course of like 9 games type of stats. Of course I am looking for mismatches not throwing into deep coverage that goes without saying, it just seems every times there is seperation the defender makes up ground and with a high leap knocks the ball down. (Awareness rating?, Knockdown rating?)

Also on play action passes it seems that they get blown up really, really fast. Actually it is the only time the AI gets a pass rush. Anyone else seeing these things?

Thanks
I use a lot of PA rollouts. The things I've noticed most is that PA only fools linebackers, never safeties. You can do them all day and a safety won't bite on it once, unless a human is controlling it. That's why my TE seems to always be my leading reception man. As for the deep balls, the only way I can seem to catch them is to have a receiver who is 95 speed or faster and the safety or CB has to be slow enough that your receiver can run by him, or control the WR yourself and hope for a lucky catch. As for you PA getting blown up early, I was having that problem against human opponents online for the longest time. Finally I check my roster and see that my RT has a speed rating of 45. Despite being rated 85, he is absolute garbage against a fast DE controlled by a human using speed burst. He basically takes two steps back and just watches the DE run around him. I switched him out with a worse rated RT with better speed and problem was solved. Also it seems like left handed QBs seem to suck at PA as well for some reason. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Last edited by UnderRatedCoast; 07-24-2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #3
Pro

Thanks for the reply. So the deep ball is proving difficult, well it should be in real life so that is okay. I will have to become a little more of a roster hound in terms of team speed to exploit mismatches a little better.

As far as the speed rating on my line player, I honestly have not checked it. I do have this play action passing problem controlling multiple teams also. Oh and this is strictly against the AI. Maybe I will try the slide protect, or really pound the rock even more before going play action. Thanks
Old 07-24-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgameonly
Thanks for the reply. So the deep ball is proving difficult, well it should be in real life so that is okay. I will have to become a little more of a roster hound in terms of team speed to exploit mismatches a little better.

As far as the speed rating on my line player, I honestly have not checked it. I do have this play action passing problem controlling multiple teams also. Oh and this is strictly against the AI. Maybe I will try the slide protect, or really pound the rock even more before going play action. Thanks
I also always play with QBs who are 80 speed or better, so I tend to be able to escape the pressure a little bit better if the defense does get pressure.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:38 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 7

Practice deep balls with Florida.

Tebow's throw power + Percy Harvin's speed = Big reception

I have great success with the deep ball for just about every team. Especially Arrelious Benn and UI @_@
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderRatedCoast
I also always play with QBs who are 80 speed or better, so I tend to be able to escape the pressure a little bit better if the defense does get pressure.
More good info, thx
Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Heisman is much tougher to complete the deep ball. Furthermore, you have awareness and knockdowns up really high which only makes it harder. I understand you probably do that to help slow down the cpu passing game but it will kill the human deep passing game on Heisman.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

Actually I don't think I've ever completed a deep pass yet. The ball is always knocked down becuase there is always a defender stuck to my receiver.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »