Home

Give me my defense back EA.

This is a discussion on Give me my defense back EA. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Give me my defense back EA.

Great rants in this thread, but face it, the gameplay in this series is marketing driven which is why the defense was dumbed down this year...so casual gamers could score lots and lots of touchdowns. Hard core sportsgamers like us are SOL, my friends, as long as there's no competition. We'll get what we get.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 24

Everything I want to say has been said already; I agree 100% with this thread. But we all know EA won't improve defense. Their marketers won't let them. NCAA 2010 will probably feature improved mascot games, new mini-games, and new WR controls.

If NCAA 2010 was all about defense and they fixed the pursuit angles, Robo QB, and dumb play-calling, it'd be a great game.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 3

The original poster couldnt be more correct...

From another 30 year old gamers spending in the thousands.. (if not more) annually on games/electronics/ipods/ SS system and tvs ...

The list of bugs an oversights are beyond listing...

It is lazy programming... It is not paying attention to detail... Anyone with a real job and not having their parents buy them this game can easily see it.

If this was any other product AND I MEAN ANY other product that i bought it would be returned for a refund due to basically false advertising or what i consider defective/non working merchandise... Wierd that you cant do that with video games.

Its cool that guys from EA come here... but what do you want us to say? In my job if i put out a POS product most likely people die... People are fired in the real world for not delivering what they promise... I know that is a little harsh and extreme in a video game discussion but this notion that we should be thankful and singing sunshine to the EA guys is crazy. This product is worthless.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

I want a slider for every rating for every position on a 0-100 scale. The game can then be fixed how each player sees fit. As long as EA doesn't screw anything up with the physics engine, it would allow the user to make the game as hard or easy as they want. We could adjust the LBs speed, the DL break block, the QBs accuracy and awareness, etc. The ratings would still matter, but this would allow us to increase one position overall without having to edit the rosters.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Uh, if my Defensive line consists of Defensive Ends who are rated 92 and 92. My Defensive Tackles are 91 and 88...my Pass rush SHOULD be amazing.

If my Defense is rated a 95...they should play like studs. They should harass the QB, kill tailbacks, and generally wreak havoc. Because they are all freaking 90s.

Folks who keep saying "Don't make _____ too good. Or Don't make ____ too bad", I merely say this....Make the ratings mean something.

If the AI is set right, then there should be "wide open gameplay" when Florida is playing Tulsa.

There should also be a bonafide Defensive brawl when LSU plays Auburn.

They can spin it anyway they want, but the bottom line is ratings other than speed mean diddly, nada, zip, zilch, nothing right now. QB ratings don't mean anything. I can take a QB with 78 Passing Accuracy and zing a pass between two defenders on a rope, while running, 40 yards downfield.

My 95 rated DB will continuously give up slant...after slant...after slant...after slant...after slant to any WR with a pulse. This is especially frustrating in situations where a College Scholarship Football player should KNOW that a quick pass is coming....on a blitz. But they don't.

I can sit in the pocket all day because my 72 rated tackle is blowing up Tyson Jackson of LSU like he's in Pee Wee league.

It shouldn't be so universal.

There shouldn't be universal "Wide Open Gameplay" every game. I want the flavor of College Football. I want wide open games when Nevada plays Tulsa. I want big time defensive struggles when two 90+ rated Defenses collide. I could get that if....

A. The sliders worked and were actually effective (i.e. not having to jack something to 100 or 0 to get a response).

B. Ratings mattered. If ratings mattered, my defense full of 90 rated players wouldn't continuously get shredded by any and every offense run by a human opponent.

I want balance....if I could some it up in one word..that would be it...BALANCE.
EXACTLY!

I saw a lot of good posts in here, but I like this the most, seriously, make ratings matter. The big thing is that engine used for the game, its a bunch of engaging and magnets, it needs to be dumped.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
I just thought I'd post this for the random "it's just a game and the point is to have fun" crowd.....

I was trying to post this in the Madden forum but, while I was typing the thread was locked. It does apply to NCAA though.

The programming laziness is the absolute refusal to fix issues that have plagued Madden and NCAA for years! Suction blocking, boring, predictable, and downright awful CPU play calling are just a couple of examples.

Add this to the fact that they add Mascot games, Ring BS, Cheerleaders, and improved dusk lighting instead of fixing the gameplay is annoying as hell. It's seems as if every year they try to mask the game play flaws that have been around forever by adding meaningless "features" and unnecessary aesthetic changes.

Please tell me WHY Super Sim is a part of this nonsense? It has NEVER worked. EVER. It's a great idea but, who in the hell thinks back to back running plays take a total of 10 seconds off the clock? It's broken and has been since it was implemented last year. Why wasn't it fixed? Also, why in the hell do the CPU sliders NOT work?!?! W....T...F

Do I have "fun" with the games? At times yes. I think it's great that a few folks can overlook the issues and just "have fun". Quite frankly though, I'm damn sick and tired of the LAZY excuse thrown out there by the "fun" crowd of "it's just a game" and "no game is perfect", or "we can't just program a game for hardcore gamers". This is complete BS. Those excuses do NOT excuse the piss poor programming of ROBO QB, player ratings that mean absolutely nothing, AWFUL pursuit angles, terrible kicking game, the RARE missed FG, and practically non existent penalties.

What about the silly statistical errors that have been in the game FOREVER? Why have they NOT been fixed? Answer? Lazy programming and refusal to pay attention to detail. This is what happens with a lack of competition. Details get conveniently overlooked.

I guess my main frustration is that both Madden and NCAA are soooo close to being great games. It's just takes a little more effort and attention to detail to fix a few of these things that I mentioned. NO ONE expects a perfect game but, is it unrealistic to expect broken features and glitches that have plagued both games for years to be fixed? I don't think so.

Wow this is a Great Post!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #47
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
I want a slider for every rating for every position on a 0-100 scale. The game can then be fixed how each player sees fit. As long as EA doesn't screw anything up with the physics engine, it would allow the user to make the game as hard or easy as they want. We could adjust the LBs speed, the DL break block, the QBs accuracy and awareness, etc. The ratings would still matter, but this would allow us to increase one position overall without having to edit the rosters.
Honestly, this would probably do wonders for NCAA.

Look at College Hoops 2k8...in my opinion...the greatest sports video game ever made.

That game has TONS of sliders, and not only does it have sliders, but moving a slider just a few clicks to the left or right made a huge difference in gameplay.

Go look in the Hoops Slider section.

How many slider settings do you see at 100 or 0? Not many.

Now go to the Madden/NCAA slider section.

How many slider settings do you see at 100 or 0? A Bunch. Why? Because the sliders do very very little if anything at all. Which is why I can set Pass Block at 0 and Break Block at 100, and still have an Offensive line that blocks like the Berlin Wall.

You know you are in trouble when we are given a measley 5 slider settings per Offense/Defense/Special Teams.

In a 2k game, you have a wide array that really allows some great simulation-style results through various slider tweaking. You even have sliders for CPU aggressiveness in the low post, outside shooting, medium range, etc. The list is endless.

If EA could copy 2k's format, which they should have already done, then both casual and sim gamers alike would have a game they would never stop playing.

Again...features that haven't changed for years and years and years. At this stage of the game IMO, with the power of these systems, a highly detailed slider set should be the norm.

Unfortunately, I have a horrible feeling that NCAA will go the way of Madden and "adapt to you" next year. Which would mean we lose any control at all in setting the sim/casual level of the game for ourselves. And quite frankly, I don't trust EA's ability to decide for me.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #48
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Honestly, this would probably do wonders for NCAA.

Look at College Hoops 2k8...in my opinion...the greatest sports video game ever made.

That game has TONS of sliders, and not only does it have sliders, but moving a slider just a few clicks to the left or right made a huge difference in gameplay.
I really don't think you're asking for much to have sliders that actually work. Hopefully someone is listening.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »