Home

A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

This is a discussion on A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

Agree with everything stated in this thread. The cpu playcalling is horrid and the cpu AI is even worse. The AI simply does not have adequate awareness of its environment, you see this in how the AI runs with the ball in hand. The cpu AI really needs to have some system in place that enables it more finite movement and at least near the same situational awareness of a human player.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #18
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

I would assume that we'll know if this will be a priority pretty soon since they should be getting their preliminary lineup for NCAA 2010 and what they want to work on. Hopefully the EA guys keep in contact throughout the year, especially since waiting so late to talk to us doesn't allow any real time for tweaking NCAA in May or June.

Quite honestly, I don't see how they can't concentrate on line play and CPU AI as the major issues. Those 2 issues scream for attention more so than adding a "Rewind" or "Create a Cheerleader" feature.

I never got the thing with the "gimmick" either. Why does there have to be a tag line each year? I guarantee that 99.9%..even the "casual" crowd...are going to buy the newest NCAA or Madden year in year out, regardless of whether there is a "gimmick" that year or not.

If they put "Revamped AI and Brand New Line play" as their Tag line for 2010 I would sell my soul to buy the game.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #19
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

I agree with everything you said AA, but I'm just not confident that it'll get fixed. Hell I've been clamoring for a "CPU quick snap" on/off button/option/slider for 2 years now (for the CPU offense snapping the ball too quickly) and that apparently is too hard of a thing to do. I just don't get what EA's priorities are sometimes....
Old 08-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #20
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16

I'd like to bump this thread and suggest it be stickied. I wonder what OMT thinks of this issue. I know it's a tired subject, but when you play ESPN 2k5 you get a chess match as compared to the "trick stick" checkers era that is EA football. It's frustrating to think that EA still can't catch up on an AI level.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #21
Rookie

Darkeus's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2c4
I think pretty much everybody agrees with this topic. I think goes along with the topic I made last night how the cpu can't seem to finish off it's drives against me. The cpu plays well for the most part, driving down the field, as soon as they get inside my 30 yard line they get incredibly stupid. All of a sudden their drive stalls and instead of kicking the field goal THEY GO FOR IT on 4th and 8 from the 15 yard line instead of a short FG attemp!

The cpu is terrible at hurry up mode. You can pretty much assume you are going to win if the cpu needs to drive down the field quickly. Also, if you are winning, let's just say 10-7, the cpu has the ball on the final play with one chance to win it. What do they do? Line up with 4 recievers and then throw a 5 yard pass. You easily stop them and win the game.

I swear the cpu was A LOT smarter in 08 for the 360.
Tell that to the Kansas QB who smoked me for a 30 yard corner route for a game winning touchdown with no time on the clock.

In general, the CPU play calling does suck. Then suddenly it calls a great game.. What is up with that?? The whole football dynamic needs to be looked at. If game companies can make enemies in a first person shooter react like humans do with this next-gen technology, Why in God's name can't we get a decent AI for a football game?? Does not make any sense..

The Scarlet and Grey, best team in the land!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #22
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquigg
I'd like to bump this thread and suggest it be stickied. I wonder what OMT thinks of this issue. I know it's a tired subject, but when you play ESPN 2k5 you get a chess match as compared to the "trick stick" checkers era that is EA football. It's frustrating to think that EA still can't catch up on an AI level.
Agreed, APF2K8 also showed WAY better AI playcalling/gameplay than Madden and they didn't have anywhere near the time to work on that game that the Madden developers had/have. There is NO EXCUSE for the AI to be playing this bad in a "next gen" game...
Old 08-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeus
Why in God's name can't we get a decent AI for a football game?? Does not make any sense..
Because we the consumer have blindly bought the game for too long now allowing EA to ingore certain features and it will have almost no effect on how many games they sell.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 20

Keyser Soze, is that really true that somebody you talked to from EA said they didn't want to improve the CPU playcalling because it would make it too hard for some people? They do realize that most people who buy NCAA have pretty good football knowledge, we don't need are hands held. That's what Varsity is for, make the CPU playcalling dumb on that difficult but if I play on Heisman I expect the CPU to call a Heisman caliber game. If you don't know how to call a game you should be punished for it, IMO people who aren't college football fans and don't know football well shouldn't be buying NCAA anyways. Those people should go buy the Wii version. The very small percentage of "casual people" ruining it for thn rest of us.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »