Home

Feel your game is scripted (against you)?

This is a discussion on Feel your game is scripted (against you)? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Feel your game is scripted (against you)?

We as the human against artificial intelligence has minimal control. Have you seriously never seen a play where the ball knuckles to the AI...

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/232606
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/232591

Look at those 2 plays and tell me I had any control. Both times, once to my WR, once my DB, the ball was coming straight to me, and you can tell by the camera angle that the ball just knuckles at the last seconds into the hands of the AI. I did everything right on both plays, and the AI just decided that it was going to get an interception instead of getting the TD I should've gotten, and the Duke one, I should've had a pick, but it decided Duke was going to get a 1st...so the ball knuckles around me to make sure my defender in very good position doesnt get a pick. If I can get some photos on, I can show you several plays where the ball literally goes through my stomach to the AI player behind me, or a few games ago, my arm went right through the AI player so that I couldnt tackle him. It's artificial intelligence, it can do whatever it wants. It can beat up 70-0 every game if it wants to. If it wants to score, it break 5 tackles on one play...if it doesnt want you to score, you can just drop an open pass, get called for a penalty even though they are hardly ever called otherwise, or it can just make you fumble.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #18
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarich
We as the human against artificial intelligence has minimal control. Have you seriously never seen a play where the ball knuckles to the AI...

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/232606
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/232591

Look at those 2 plays and tell me I had any control. Both times, once to my WR, once my DB, the ball was coming straight to me, and you can tell by the camera angle that the ball just knuckles at the last seconds into the hands of the AI. I did everything right on both plays, and the AI just decided that it was going to get an interception instead of getting the TD I should've gotten, and the Duke one, I should've had a pick, but it decided Duke was going to get a 1st...so the ball knuckles around me to make sure my defender in very good position doesnt get a pick. If I can get some photos on, I can show you several plays where the ball literally goes through my stomach to the AI player behind me, or a few games ago, my arm went right through the AI player so that I couldnt tackle him. It's artificial intelligence, it can do whatever it wants. It can beat up 70-0 every game if it wants to. If it wants to score, it break 5 tackles on one play...if it doesnt want you to score, you can just drop an open pass, get called for a penalty even though they are hardly ever called otherwise, or it can just make you fumble.
then why play the game?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #19
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
then why play the game?
Me thinks it equates to an addiction...Most smokers know they shouldn't smoke because it's more harmful than good. But, it's so hard to quit once you are addicted. Tovarich I think is addicted to the game, knowing his experience is not pleasant he can't stop playing it.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 34

At least it isnt as blatantly obvious as last gen, where you would flip a play or audible, the CPU would aubible to a perfect defense to counter your adjustment.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #21
Rookie

Enderz Game's Arena

OVR: 2

I've played plenty of games where it seemed like the CPU had decided it was going to make it turn out to be a close game no matter what I did.

The defensive AI seems to be turned up a notch the whole game and whenever I get ahead they always seem to come up with the big "sticky hands" INT, "robo blocking" punt return, "Michael Jordan" catch, "worst possible moment" fumble, or string of broken tackles to "rubber band" back into the lead. Sometimes it happens in rivalry games, but just as often I've had to really struggle to beat an unranked team that I outrate by 15-20 points.

It used to bother me, but now I actually kind of like it b/c it gives my seasons that "any given Saturday" kind of feel. I like to think that the developers built in some randomness to the team ratings from week to week so that sometimes a 90 rated team plays more like an 80 rated team and a 75 rated team plays more like an 85 rated team. In real life they call them "trap" games where a highly ranked team is either suffering an emotional letdown from a big win the previous week or already looking ahead to a big game the following week.

Whenever it feels like the football gods (aka CPU) are stacked against me I just pretend that my team is having a bad week and the other team is playing out of their minds and take it as a challenge to see if I can find a way to win despite all the bad luck.

So far, I haven't tried calling a TO specifically to use the adjustments, but given how they work it makes sense that you might be able to change the momentum of a game, even one that feels "scripted", by boosting your player's carry or catch or tackle ratings at the right time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 9

We should WANT our teams to play differently from week-to-week, if we complain about realism all the time.

And the two videos earlier:

You were the away team both times. Is HFA on?

Probably it all has something to do with the ratings of the players as well. You can't just show two videos and expect that to be considered truth. I haven't seen that enough to think anything like that at all, and I play on Heisman.

I think its tied to HFA. I've seen my OWN team make crazy plays that never should have happened enough times to not get mad when the CPU gets a few as well.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderz Game
I've played plenty of games where it seemed like the CPU had decided it was going to make it turn out to be a close game no matter what I did.

The defensive AI seems to be turned up a notch the whole game and whenever I get ahead they always seem to come up with the big "sticky hands" INT, "robo blocking" punt return, "Michael Jordan" catch, "worst possible moment" fumble, or string of broken tackles to "rubber band" back into the lead. Sometimes it happens in rivalry games, but just as often I've had to really struggle to beat an unranked team that I outrate by 15-20 points.

It used to bother me, but now I actually kind of like it b/c it gives my seasons that "any given Saturday" kind of feel. I like to think that the developers built in some randomness to the team ratings from week to week so that sometimes a 90 rated team plays more like an 80 rated team and a 75 rated team plays more like an 85 rated team. In real life they call them "trap" games where a highly ranked team is either suffering an emotional letdown from a big win the previous week or already looking ahead to a big game the following week.

Whenever it feels like the football gods (aka CPU) are stacked against me I just pretend that my team is having a bad week and the other team is playing out of their minds and take it as a challenge to see if I can find a way to win despite all the bad luck.

So far, I haven't tried calling a TO specifically to use the adjustments, but given how they work it makes sense that you might be able to change the momentum of a game, even one that feels "scripted", by boosting your player's carry or catch or tackle ratings at the right time.
I agree with this assessment - something the game feels scripted against me but just as often the game feels scripted in my favor and, personally, I think that's fine. It makes it both more realistic and more interesting in my opinion to have weeks where you team is in the zone and weeks where they can't seem to do anything right. I just wish the AI could cut me a little slack sometimes. Like last game, where I rallied to get back within 7, called a play to get my receiver open downfield, threw the ball over the defense...and had it bounce off his hands.

As for when it feels like the game is scripted against you, I've found the best thing to do is play conservative. It's kind of tempting to try and change things by going for a big play on offense or trying to force a turnover but when things aren't going your way that never seems to work. So on offense I run simple running plays and short passes, working down the field methodically and on defense I basically try to bend but not break - give up intermediate passes and runs, try to avoid the big play, and try to clamp things down in the red zone well enough to hold the opposition to three.

http://www.capsblueline.com
Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 4

Oregon State scripted against USC last night

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »