Home

330 pounder with 70 strength

This is a discussion on 330 pounder with 70 strength within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: 330 pounder with 70 strength

I agree that size should have more of an effect on ratings by position and some of these things. No way a kid who ways 175 lbs should have a rating above 35 as a DL but if you ever tried to change positions of a small RB you will often find they have decent DL ratings for some reason.

I will say that the Bengals drafted a big DT this year (last name Shirley) who only benched 225 eight or nine times. Then you see a kid like Lorenzo Booker who's 190 lbs soaking wet put it up 25+ times. There is a real difference between functional football strength and weightroom strength and EA could certainly do a better job of this.

As for how good recruits are, check this article out about how prospect ratings translate to the NFL. Five * prospects out of high school end up drafted almost 50% of the time (only one year sample size though).
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-...s-to-the-draft
Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 9

I really feel, and this was mentioned by an elaborate poster who bashed Madden '09, that a lot of the ratings are merely cosmetic. I mean, some of the ratings I see on different players make little sense to me and that they really don't have an impact on the game at all. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I feel.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by erivera7
I really feel, and this was mentioned by an elaborate poster who bashed Madden '09, that a lot of the ratings are merely cosmetic. I mean, some of the ratings I see on different players make little sense to me and that they really don't have an impact on the game at all. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I feel.
Speed is the #1 stat, everything else is secondary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
I guess my overall point is that recruiting should be changed so that 1 and 2 star guys actually have a chance of being good. Not every good player in college is a parade all-american in high school.
This could be solved, if people just had ratings in real life...

Anyways, you couldnt really say a 1 or 2 star WR shouldnt have a catching of 50 because of real life reasons, as NCAA FB 09 is not real life.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Most 3 star recruits are even worthless.
i dont agree with that atleast not entirely. there was a better chance on old gen to get a two star and he end up being great but mostly only athletes. im a scout in louisiana so i get really into the recruiting on this game even though i have grown to hate the football face. first and foremost the overalls in this game are useless and even the guys from ea said that. they add up a certain amount of attributes that are relevant for their position. ill break down a couple of positions for you to see how this works and sorry to the guys that have been busting me for my forumula ill get that to you.

i had 8 four and five star rb's that wanted to come to wisonsin. i break them down to what i need and im looking for. 2 of the 8 got dropped because i needed speed not power. out of the 6 my highest graded player was 5th overall in rb's. my second graded was 33rd and last of all of them. how did he get it you ask? he had high catch ability and route running. i dont think that is factored into rb's overall rating or atleast not as important. he had a A in acc and is a 95 acc. he was a 93 speed and had decent moves all around. so what really made this guy good. low awarness! awarness builds the easiest in this game. he is a c+ awarness. he will redshirt and probably wont see the field much till his redshirt soph year. two years to build up awarness. his other skill sets are great. he came in a 76 overall with low awarness so that means his abilitys are very high. as his awarness goes up over the next two years he will probably be a 85 in two years just by awarness going up. the 33rd ranked rb was second on my board of 8 guys in the top 33 wanting to come. follow me?

cb is a position i do very well in getting very good guys that arent ranked high. i run a zone defense so i look for a certain type of player. i had the 7 ranked cb commit and was ranked 5th on my in game board. the 30th ranked cb was ranked second on my recruiting board and was two spots away from being a three star. the 7th ranked cb was a 76 coming in and the 30th ranked was a 80. he will play nickel this year as a true while the 7th ranked cb who was a top 100 player will redshirt even though he is a better zone cb. the 30th ranked cb is 6 foot 3. nice! this position is about getting what fits your system more than an overall.

lets talk about three stars. you are right that some three stars are busts and i see this alot with oline but there are some positions you can get steals if you arent looking to start these guys right away. the 4th guy on my in game board was the 39th wr and a three star. possesion guy that 6 foot 5. i play with wisconsin so remember that i run the ball alot. he has the best blocking of any wr in the class. hes the third strongest. he has 84 catch and 86 route(this is most important for me as our sliders are really hard and timing routes are very important) he is 86 speed 86 agility and 90 acc ( i know these arent game breaking but im not asking him to stretch the field). hes also a 87 special catch so he will be over 90 in a couple of years and you have to be over 90 to be able to do special catchs. my top three wrs are two juniors and a soph so he wont be needed till hes a redshirt soph and his awarness which is around 73 or 75 will greatly improve and the overall shoots up as as awarness rises. my four star reciever i got was 15th on my in game board and was also a possesion guy. hes 6 foot 2 and has 84 speed 82 agility and 90 acc. his truck is 80 and his elusivness is 94 with a 99 juke and a high 90 spin. his catch is 82. alot of you will say no way on this guy because of his speed but he will be a great run after catch because he can make moves and he will be great on crossing routes and curls which i do alot of. he wasnt a top priority as he wont be a great player but mike haas come to mind. remember that guy? oregon state two or three years ago. wr of the year. sucked in the pros because he was to slow. got cut in training camp.

a couple of other notes from my recruting class. the 22nd rated de is a 80 overall and was number 1 on my list of de's out of all of them. i had alot wanting to come so i broke them all down with exception of guys that had low strength. my number 7 rated dt is a 74 overall and dumb as a brick but will grow into a beast as he has all the physical tools. 5th rated fullback is a three star and is a 70. he will start and other than his awarness he is very skilled. i wish he was better but he will be ok. i did get another dt thats a 72 with high awarness so hes pretty much a bust as his tools arent very good. i also got a four star guard that i graded high but was on the low end of all his attributes. he's a career backup. win some you lose some. the 5th overall rated qb i got didnt come in like i hoped and will wait till his senior redshirt year to play unless something happens to guy that will start the next four years.

i looked at all the teams in my dynasty and what they are recruting and some just dont make sense. one guy has a great class but has a zone corner and a man corner that are terrible at the other. two great lb's but neither is over 70 in strength and the heaviest is 210(which i know doesnt affect much at all). my 21st ranked lb came in better than both of them who were both top ten and mine is a 78 and will be a four year starter. also got a ss that was 9th at his position but he almost every spot on his top ten filled by a hum and im the only one to offer him. crazy! he came in a 76 juco sophmore and will redshirt and start the next three years after that. hes a zone guy and thats the only thing i can figure about no one else going for him. he was tied for second out of all ss in overall with three other guys. two were tied for 1st.

i guess what im saying is you need to have a system to plug guys into. i know its just a game and it has flaws but in no way are these guys rated accurately overall. omt already said that they are working on a way to add in gems and bust for next year and is something they want to add. i already see that but not to the degree that you guys are saying with the one and two stars. we play with the rule that you can only offer schollys to the amount of players you have open spots for and we do not allow cutting players. if you get walkons because you didnt fill a hole its ok as long as you left a spot open of him. if you go over 70 players you go on probation and lose scholly's. this keeps us from watering down the class by cutting players that could be on cpu's teams and sending them into virtual junior college land.

im not totally disagreeing with you because there are some postitions that i stay away in the three star range if i have a good team. i just think that having a system and getting guys that you plug in instead of building a team around and you will have a great team. i went after no 5 stars. not one on my board of 17 guys. had 3 3 stars and 1 one star to fill a hole that i couldnt get intrest in. 13 four stars. couldnt ask for better guys to fit what im doing. usc got 8 5 stars in my class and most are at postions that are already loaded and wont see the light of day till three or four years down the road. i feel that my class will be more productive sooner but time will tell. sorry for the ramble and any spelling errors, im at work and had too much coffee today.

FEAR THE BADGER

and fist we use a modified version of your sliders. good job!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
i dont agree with that atleast not entirely. there was a better chance on old gen to get a two star and he end up being great but mostly only athletes. im a scout in louisiana so i get really into the recruiting on this game even though i have grown to hate the football face. first and foremost the overalls in this game are useless and even the guys from ea said that. they add up a certain amount of attributes that are relevant for their position. ill break down a couple of positions for you to see how this works and sorry to the guys that have been busting me for my forumula ill get that to you.

i had 8 four and five star rb's that wanted to come to wisonsin. i break them down to what i need and im looking for. 2 of the 8 got dropped because i needed speed not power. out of the 6 my highest graded player was 5th overall in rb's. my second graded was 33rd and last of all of them. how did he get it you ask? he had high catch ability and route running. i dont think that is factored into rb's overall rating or atleast not as important. he had a A in acc and is a 95 acc. he was a 93 speed and had decent moves all around. so what really made this guy good. low awarness! awarness builds the easiest in this game. he is a c+ awarness. he will redshirt and probably wont see the field much till his redshirt soph year. two years to build up awarness. his other skill sets are great. he came in a 76 overall with low awarness so that means his abilitys are very high. as his awarness goes up over the next two years he will probably be a 85 in two years just by awarness going up. the 33rd ranked rb was second on my board of 8 guys in the top 33 wanting to come. follow me?

cb is a position i do very well in getting very good guys that arent ranked high. i run a zone defense so i look for a certain type of player. i had the 7 ranked cb commit and was ranked 5th on my in game board. the 30th ranked cb was ranked second on my recruiting board and was two spots away from being a three star. the 7th ranked cb was a 76 coming in and the 30th ranked was a 80. he will play nickel this year as a true while the 7th ranked cb who was a top 100 player will redshirt even though he is a better zone cb. the 30th ranked cb is 6 foot 3. nice! this position is about getting what fits your system more than an overall.

lets talk about three stars. you are right that some three stars are busts and i see this alot with oline but there are some positions you can get steals if you arent looking to start these guys right away. the 4th guy on my in game board was the 39th wr and a three star. possesion guy that 6 foot 5. i play with wisconsin so remember that i run the ball alot. he has the best blocking of any wr in the class. hes the third strongest. he has 84 catch and 86 route(this is most important for me as our sliders are really hard and timing routes are very important) he is 86 speed 86 agility and 90 acc ( i know these arent game breaking but im not asking him to stretch the field). hes also a 87 special catch so he will be over 90 in a couple of years and you have to be over 90 to be able to do special catchs. my top three wrs are two juniors and a soph so he wont be needed till hes a redshirt soph and his awarness which is around 73 or 75 will greatly improve and the overall shoots up as as awarness rises. my four star reciever i got was 15th on my in game board and was also a possesion guy. hes 6 foot 2 and has 84 speed 82 agility and 90 acc. his truck is 80 and his elusivness is 94 with a 99 juke and a high 90 spin. his catch is 82. alot of you will say no way on this guy because of his speed but he will be a great run after catch because he can make moves and he will be great on crossing routes and curls which i do alot of. he wasnt a top priority as he wont be a great player but mike haas come to mind. remember that guy? oregon state two or three years ago. wr of the year. sucked in the pros because he was to slow. got cut in training camp.

a couple of other notes from my recruting class. the 22nd rated de is a 80 overall and was number 1 on my list of de's out of all of them. i had alot wanting to come so i broke them all down with exception of guys that had low strength. my number 7 rated dt is a 74 overall and dumb as a brick but will grow into a beast as he has all the physical tools. 5th rated fullback is a three star and is a 70. he will start and other than his awarness he is very skilled. i wish he was better but he will be ok. i did get another dt thats a 72 with high awarness so hes pretty much a bust as his tools arent very good. i also got a four star guard that i graded high but was on the low end of all his attributes. he's a career backup. win some you lose some. the 5th overall rated qb i got didnt come in like i hoped and will wait till his senior redshirt year to play unless something happens to guy that will start the next four years.

i looked at all the teams in my dynasty and what they are recruting and some just dont make sense. one guy has a great class but has a zone corner and a man corner that are terrible at the other. two great lb's but neither is over 70 in strength and the heaviest is 210(which i know doesnt affect much at all). my 21st ranked lb came in better than both of them who were both top ten and mine is a 78 and will be a four year starter. also got a ss that was 9th at his position but he almost every spot on his top ten filled by a hum and im the only one to offer him. crazy! he came in a 76 juco sophmore and will redshirt and start the next three years after that. hes a zone guy and thats the only thing i can figure about no one else going for him. he was tied for second out of all ss in overall with three other guys. two were tied for 1st.

i guess what im saying is you need to have a system to plug guys into. i know its just a game and it has flaws but in no way are these guys rated accurately overall. omt already said that they are working on a way to add in gems and bust for next year and is something they want to add. i already see that but not to the degree that you guys are saying with the one and two stars. we play with the rule that you can only offer schollys to the amount of players you have open spots for and we do not allow cutting players. if you get walkons because you didnt fill a hole its ok as long as you left a spot open of him. if you go over 70 players you go on probation and lose scholly's. this keeps us from watering down the class by cutting players that could be on cpu's teams and sending them into virtual junior college land.

im not totally disagreeing with you because there are some postitions that i stay away in the three star range if i have a good team. i just think that having a system and getting guys that you plug in instead of building a team around and you will have a great team. i went after no 5 stars. not one on my board of 17 guys. had 3 3 stars and 1 one star to fill a hole that i couldnt get intrest in. 13 four stars. couldnt ask for better guys to fit what im doing. usc got 8 5 stars in my class and most are at postions that are already loaded and wont see the light of day till three or four years down the road. i feel that my class will be more productive sooner but time will tell. sorry for the ramble and any spelling errors, im at work and had too much coffee today.

FEAR THE BADGER

and fist we use a modified version of your sliders. good job!
Good post. Because I have the AI RB slider set pretty high. Awareness and tackling on D are more important to me than speed.

I'll have to break my recruits down a little more like you do. Sounds fun.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #15
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Good post. Because I have the AI RB slider set pretty high. Awareness and tackling on D are more important to me than speed.

I'll have to break my recruits down a little more like you do. Sounds fun.
yea cpu rb ability is actually our big diffrence. we have it at 45 it think with our tackling at 20 or 25. awarness at 90 for the hum. we all got tired of giving up so many big runs by the cpu having 10 to 15 broken tackles a game. i think me and usc were the only teams in the top 20 in rushing d but all of the hum players run alot. we made our offense worse to help the cpu get the ball more and to stop us more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #16
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

That was a damn good breakdown recruiting post. I agree that everyone gets too caught up in the speed factor but it's hard, especially when it comes to RBs because power backs haven't been accounted for ratings wise. It's the reason why someone like Beanie Wells is less effective than say Antone Smith for FSU.

Your WR breakdown was spot on though. I find myself going after a possession guy, a speed guy for the slot, and someone with a good combination of both. The only problem is that in OD's you have to recruit against other people so you cannot afford your crosstown rival to stack up on speed leaving you with crumbs. Especially knowing that speed demons break the game and defy all logic in this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »