Home

330 pounder with 70 strength

This is a discussion on 330 pounder with 70 strength within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #17
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: 330 pounder with 70 strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
That was a damn good breakdown recruiting post. I agree that everyone gets too caught up in the speed factor but it's hard, especially when it comes to RBs because power backs haven't been accounted for ratings wise. It's the reason why someone like Beanie Wells is less effective than say Antone Smith for FSU.

Your WR breakdown was spot on though. I find myself going after a possession guy, a speed guy for the slot, and someone with a good combination of both. The only problem is that in OD's you have to recruit against other people so you cannot afford your crosstown rival to stack up on speed leaving you with crumbs. Especially knowing that speed demons break the game and defy all logic in this game.
good point on the speed factor for online dynasty's. got beat by usc in first game of year and in the rose bowl and speed is what killed me.

i have pj hill and we are using original rosters so i still have lance smith. pj is a three or four yards a carry guy between the tackles. smith is my outside guy. smith sucks inside and hill outside. i have a beast of a line so running up the middle is a great way to slow the pace down and drive other hums crazy. hills longest run in 19 but he missed 6 games. he always gets yards after contact even if he just falls forward. i probably wouldnt have the patience for him if my line wasnt so good at run blocking. wells and aldrige i think is his name from nd were the best rushers in our league with aldrige getting right at 1500 and hes a power back with some speed. its possible to get the run game going with a power back but you have to have the other weapons to go with it. i do find myself staying away from power backs that are slow. smith is such a game changer with his speed. i think the rb's in this games secret weapon is acc. if they can accerate they can play for me. i dont burst till i hit the hole and watching a guy with hit that second gear in the hole is what gets my jolly's off. usc ran a power o play with mcknight in our first game and when he hit the hole it was like angels were singing. he split my corner and safety and was gone pecan! have you given spiller, rainey or devine a try? i sure you have, wow! i hold my breath when devine gets the ball in online games. kind of like real life. but i will always have a power back to bring in to change the pace. love lowering the ram's head on safety's! i feel like i have iron head heyward (hey iron head what's with the foo-foo thing?) out there when pj gets to second level.

Last edited by thelasthurtknee; 09-10-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
good point on the speed factor for online dynasty's. got beat by usc in first game of year and in the rose bowl and speed is what killed me.

i have pj hill and we are using original rosters so i still have lance smith. pj is a three or four yards a carry guy between the tackles. smith is my outside guy. smith sucks inside and hill outside. i have a beast of a line so running up the middle is a great way to slow the pace down and drive other hums crazy. hills longest run in 19 but he missed 6 games. he always gets yards after contact even if he just falls forward. i probably wouldnt have the patience for him if my line wasnt so good at run blocking. wells and aldrige i think is his name from nd were the best rushers in our league with aldrige getting right at 1500 and hes a power back with some speed. its possible to get the run game going with a power back but you have to have the other weapons to go with it. i do find myself staying away from power backs that are slow. smith is such a game changer with his speed. i think the rb's in this games secret weapon is acc. if they can accerate they can play for me. i dont burst till i hit the hole and watching a guy with hit that second gear in the hole is what gets my jolly's off. usc ran a power o play with mcknight in our first game and when he hit the hole it was like angels were singing. he split my corner and safety and was gone pecan! have you given spiller, rainey or devine a try? i sure you have, wow! i hold my breath when devine gets the ball in online games. kind of like real life. but i will always have a power back to bring in to change the pace. love lowering the ram's head on safety's! i feel like i have iron head heyward (hey iron head what's with the foo-foo thing?) out there when pj gets to second level.
With my latest sliders with AI tackling at 50 and Awareness at 90, the power backs get the love they deserve. Try running a scat back on a sweep on 1st down and you might get the corner or you might get stuffed for -4. Try running them up the middle and they go down on contact and possibly fumble. Take a power back with a good truck and strength and he falls forward for about a 4 yard gain. Late in the game as you pound them, thos 4 yards turn into 6 or 8 yards.

I really like that about the sliders because originally speed was the gold standard with my first set.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Speed is the #1 stat, everything else is secondary.
Thankfully I have a slider set that nullifies speed to a more realistic trait than how overblown it is on default settings, as you have been able to achieve as well in yours as you have mentioned.

I control Tulane in my Dynasty, now Year 2, and I recruit similar to what thelasthurtknee said in terms of snagging specific personnel depending on the position. I have a Frosh WR recruit who has 90 speed, and I slid him to be my slot receiver. I have possession receivers as my X & Y guys. With that setup, my offense runs with its highest efficiency. At tailback, I got my Thunder & Lightning setup, for the most part. I love my tailback, J.T. McDonald, because he has the body of a Maurice Jones-Drew, it's great. His lower body strength is phenomenal.

On defense, I try to make a high priority of awareness and tackling. Excellent open-field tacklers are huge in this game, given the breakaway ability of the game.

Last edited by erivera7; 09-10-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
With my latest sliders with AI tackling at 50 and Awareness at 90, the power backs get the love they deserve. Try running a scat back on a sweep on 1st down and you might get the corner or you might get stuffed for -4. Try running them up the middle and they go down on contact and possibly fumble. Take a power back with a good truck and strength and he falls forward for about a 4 yard gain. Late in the game as you pound them, thos 4 yards turn into 6 or 8 yards.

I really like that about the sliders because originally speed was the gold standard with my first set.
our hum side is right on with yours and it i agree its perfect.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 20

To clarify my point about wr's that are 1 and 2 stars, they should have better than a 50 catch rating considering that is equilivant to most linebackers in the game. Also Bears what it your point about this not being real life, are saying because this is a video game that recruiting doesn't need to be somewhat realistic and you can throw any kind of realism out the door. Guys should have attributes relative to their size and position regardless of there number of stars in most cases.

The recruiting process itself is pretty solid in the game but I would like to see the actual rating of players improved so more unknown guys develop into good players. This would help good teams non BCS conference teams espcially in staying competetive. Teams like Fresno State, Utah and East Carolina for example who after a couple years in dynasty go downhill fast.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #22
Rookie

Old Gold and Blue's Arena

OVR: 3

1 or 2 star recruits should definitely have more potential. Not a lot of them but a few of them should grow into stars. Pat White was a 2 or 3 star DB coming out of high school.

And agreed on size and weight having more impact. A 230 pound back should always be a power or balanced back.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:57 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Yeah,

Heck, my sisters boyfriend's cousin was a 2nd round pick of the Bears and was a 2* recruit.
The six degrees of the MAC, how I love it!

That is cool none the less
Old 09-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #24
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I agree that size should have more of an effect on ratings by position and some of these things. No way a kid who ways 175 lbs should have a rating above 35 as a DL but if you ever tried to change positions of a small RB you will often find they have decent DL ratings for some reason.

I will say that the Bengals drafted a big DT this year (last name Shirley) who only benched 225 eight or nine times. Then you see a kid like Lorenzo Booker who's 190 lbs soaking wet put it up 25+ times. There is a real difference between functional football strength and weightroom strength and EA could certainly do a better job of this.

As for how good recruits are, check this article out about how prospect ratings translate to the NFL. Five * prospects out of high school end up drafted almost 50% of the time (only one year sample size though).
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-...s-to-the-draft
That's a great article that I would love to see EA leverage next year. I hope EA doesn't go overboard with their "diamonds in the rough" planning for next year. I'd also like to see some smaller school players stay when they put up huge #s if their overall ratings are low. It would help the little schools compete down the line once you build up your program. Not too mention they never get drafted once you export to Madden.

Last edited by KG; 09-11-2008 at 09:23 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »