Home

No updates from OMT, etc. on NCAA 2010?

This is a discussion on No updates from OMT, etc. on NCAA 2010? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: No updates from OMT, etc. on NCAA 2010?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
I didn't say anything like that. Features on the old consoles don't just "drop in" to the new code base. There is still implementation time.

The thing that I have a hard time understanding, and I'm a finance guy, so excuse my lack of knowledge in the programming world, but isn't the logic the toughest thing to create. I mean one you have the logic down as you did on the PS2, wouldn't an understanding of the 360 code be just a matter of "plugging" it in to that code.

I mean once I have the understanding of Shakespeare, and then learn French, couldn't I then understand Shakespeare written in French?
Old 09-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #58
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Adam, since FIFA '09 is in 1080P(well the demo is so I would assume the final game will be) on PS3, can you at least tell us whether NCAA 2010 will be as well?

Last edited by stoncold32; 09-20-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:41 PM   #59
Rookie

Kingfish's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
The thing that I have a hard time understanding, and I'm a finance guy, so excuse my lack of knowledge in the programming world, but isn't the logic the toughest thing to create. I mean one you have the logic down as you did on the PS2, wouldn't an understanding of the 360 code be just a matter of "plugging" it in to that code.

I mean once I have the understanding of Shakespeare, and then learn French, couldn't I then understand Shakespeare written in French?
But wouldn't it be more fair to compare physical engines and parts of them to the code that is written and used to control a console game...at LEAST in reference to comparing it to high theater...

I have an internal combustion engine, it runs my 1965 Ford Mustang pretty darn good...and I might even drop it into my 1986 Ford F150 and with a little work make it run but...how but plopping that bad boy into my 2009 Ford Mustang? All the little wires and doo-dads that need to be connected to the engine for it to work...oh sure, it could be rigged up to run it like a scalded dog i bet BUT, the electronics tachometer or fuel regulator prolly(most assuredly) won't work...and there might be shorts(will be) all OVER the wiring harness...but in theory...

The 'theory' is there...implementation of the code to do what you want is STILL a struggle and in some cases it could NEVER work.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #60
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcorrosive
Are there any PT positions in QA? I live in Tampa and would be willing to make the commute if I could make the scheduling work.
No. There is an expectation that you can work up to 60 hours a week for the job.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #61
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurredvision
Out of pure curiosity, what's the pay like for an EA QA tester? I'm a software technician for a major printer manufacturer, and my main responsibilities lie in the realm of working directly with the developers on ironing out all the bugs I can in certain parts of the firmware.

I'm curious to compare.
I'm not sure. Something like $9 an hour with benefits kicking in after 6 months.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #62
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage

Let's stick with your analogy here for a second. Yes, you'd be able to understand it in French. However, what if you had 500 books to read in French? You couldn't read them all in one year. Yeah you read them in English already (PS2), but now you have to read them all in French (PS3). So you'd only be able to read so many of them each year, and you'd have to decide. Sure you'd read Romeo and Juliet (all 120 FBS teams) and Hamlet (dynasty mode), but what about the lesser known books (I'm not a big Shakespeare guy)? You might not be able to get to them in year one or year two or year three. And what if Shakespeare was still writing books? You'd have to keep adding those!

But the difference between PS2 and PS3 isn't english to french. It is more english to creole. Some of the basic logic would work, but the idea of something "dropping in" to a game isn't realistic. That NEVER works! So there are no free ports from the old consoles. You can take a DB here or an algorithm there and it will work IF you do a lot of other stuff.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #63
Rookie

trayeight's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
I'm not sure. Something like $9 an hour with benefits kicking in after 6 months.
Lol, are you being serious?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #64
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish
But wouldn't it be more fair to compare physical engines and parts of them to the code that is written and used to control a console game...at LEAST in reference to comparing it to high theater...

I have an internal combustion engine, it runs my 1965 Ford Mustang pretty darn good...and I might even drop it into my 1986 Ford F150 and with a little work make it run but...how but plopping that bad boy into my 2009 Ford Mustang? All the little wires and doo-dads that need to be connected to the engine for it to work...oh sure, it could be rigged up to run it like a scalded dog i bet BUT, the electronics tachometer or fuel regulator prolly(most assuredly) won't work...and there might be shorts(will be) all OVER the wiring harness...but in theory...

The 'theory' is there...implementation of the code to do what you want is STILL a struggle and in some cases it could NEVER work.
Very nice analogy!

And even if you did drop that engine into the 2009 Mustang, how long would it take you to get it working? That's really the limiting factor... time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »