Home

Can you help me understand the passing game? Thanks!

This is a discussion on Can you help me understand the passing game? Thanks! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Can you help me understand the passing game? Thanks!

I am playing 8min quarters / AA with sliders ...

I am struggling with my passing game. I think that I am very bad at reading the defense AND deciding which receiver is the "correct" place to throw the ball.

I understand what I need to do to read the defense.
- Watch the two safeties
- Count the number of players "in the box"
- Check to see if the DBs are playing tight/loose
- Look for inside/outside position of the DBs
- Count for base vs nickle vs dime

I think that it takes me too long. I am either sacked or my guys are no longer open by the time I have it figured out. I can go back and watch the replay ... I can usually see then what I "should have done" ... but it is too late.

And even if you told me the defense BEFORE the snap ... I do not know what that means in terms of "what should I do". Just because it is "Man + Cover 2" ... great ... so what?

I think I need to throw the ball sooner ... the thing about getting the ball out before my receiver makes his cut. Is that the same for zone AND man? I think I am better against the man coverage - I can usually just look for one of my crossing routes over the middle (most often a TE).

I have read through this excellent post:

http://www.ncaastrategies.com/utopia...ad.php?t=55284

And am still completing only about 55% with 3 or 4 INTs.

Who is great at this? Anything I can do to get better?

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Re: Can you help me understand the passing game? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
I am playing 8min quarters / AA with sliders ...

I am struggling with my passing game. I think that I am very bad at reading the defense AND deciding which receiver is the "correct" place to throw the ball.

I understand what I need to do to read the defense.
- Watch the two safeties
- Count the number of players "in the box"
- Check to see if the DBs are playing tight/loose
- Look for inside/outside position of the DBs
- Count for base vs nickle vs dime

Thanks!
This is all great that you do that pre-snap. Do you have progressions based off your pre-snap reads. It will help with knowing who is your 1, 2, 3, and check downs. It also helps to know what the routes your receiver are running so that you aren't looking at them you are looking at the defense. This is huge in real football as well as the game. You shouldn't be looking at your receivers as they are running their routes. You know what route they are running you should be looking at the defense to see where the window will be to make your throw.

Also if you take a litte time before you snap the ball sometime the defense will "show" what they are doing. ex. A blitzing SS may cheat up to the LOS as you are going though the snap count.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 10-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

OVR: 19

Just practice. Heres a little tip though. If you find yourself struggling to complete passes... Try calling a WR screen or an HB screen. it doesn't have to go for big yardage but all completions help. All teams do it IRL also.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
It also helps to know what the routes your receiver are running so that you aren't looking at them you are looking at the defense. This is huge in real football as well as the game. You shouldn't be looking at your receivers as they are running their routes. You know what route they are running you should be looking at the defense to see where the window will be to make your throw.
This is pretty sound advice here....

One think i like to try to do is, if this makes sence, but to look ahead of the play. perhaps eyes down field is the better term.

think of it as driving a car. you don't watch the road immediately in front of you, you look ahead.

i think that concept has not only helped my passing game, but my running game as well.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
Pro

Bucksfan7's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
This is pretty sound advice here....

One think i like to try to do is, if this makes sence, but to look ahead of the play. perhaps eyes down field is the better term.

think of it as driving a car. you don't watch the road immediately in front of you, you look ahead.

i think that concept has not only helped my passing game, but my running game as well.
Good analogy. This was my first year on the next gen system playing and i had a hard time passing as well. But once i got it down its cake. I still throw stupid picks obviously, but not nearly as many. My last season with Terrelle Pryor i threw less than 10 picks all season while throwing 50+ TDs. But i read what the D is giving me, if i see the safety move down to cover my post route, i check to another WR, if thats covered i look at a TE or HB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Rookie

capone2117's Arena

OVR: 4

The passing game is hard to explain...and I was a quarterback and QB coach for high schoolers. What you and everyone on here has said is exceptional advice. The main thing is getting the feel for what you are doing. You have the pre-snap reads down, but you seem to lack the knowledge of who to look for in the situations you are presented. I can go on forever here, but I'll give you some major tips that can accomodate what you are doing and what "should" be done.

You have the reads down. You see man cover 2 zone. What are you running? Depending on the down and yards for a first, your probably trying something that goes deep. Here is what I do:

Man - If running crossing routes, with running back dump off, look to see where the safeties go. You say you see them on the routes, but dont think, look. If the safeties come down on the slot receivers or running backs, you will usually have your outside WRs on some sort of deep route. Go to them. In man, skinny posts or flag routes get killed if you have a decent WR and can time the throw. In man, it is easy to see all the defenders slide to their man. This leaves you with three options (your reads and check downs). The first is going deep. Wait till they make their breaks and release. No matter what the rush, you should be able to feel the pressure and move in the pocket. No matter what, plant your feet and release the ball with enough umpff on it, but with the air you need to get it past the WR. Option 2 is the underneath routes. If you feel that the WRs are not going to make their route, or if the team is blitzing you, release to the underneaths. TE, WR, or RB, they can all be open. You might only get 5 yards, but it is something. The third option is the RB. Most people call this cheese, but if real life, dumping off to the RB is a savior.

Zone - This is a little bit tougher. You really have to read here. You have to spot the safeties and LBs and where they slide to. Zone defense on this game is really easy to beat, but at the same time, if you dont know what to do, it can kill you. In zone, slants, digs, and the usually routes (you can spot them, you know the ones that have a receiver run in five directions and then cross or go out) are all routes that can get you 10+ yards. Waiting and patience with the zone is crucial. Again, you have 3 reads you can do. Lets go with the slot package, with the play that has the outside receiver on the slot side run a cross route. The slot receiver runs a flag route, TE runs a post, and the strong side WR runs a deep dig. The RB flares out to the slot side. I wish I had time to diagram this, but I'm at work and need to catch up on some leads. Anyway, in the zone, you have to read the slot side first. Your first read should be the slot receiver and his flag route. If the CB sits in the 5 yard zone (cover 2, cover 1 robber) then the FS should be sliding to that hash mark. If it is open, hit the WR on the cut (20+ yard gain). If you don't feel comfortable with what you see, look down to the slot side WR on the cross. If the LB are covering the middle zone, look down to the RB. If the CB is playing the line (cover 2) your pretty much f'ed. That is when you tuck in run, or force something to the other side. If you read the zone pre-snap and they are zoning to the slot side, that is when you look strong side. If the TE isn't open on the post, the dig route should open up.

Cover 2 - The best I can say is look inside on the routes. If the LBs are covering the middle, look to the outside routes. Slants and digs are quick easy gains in this coverage.

Cover 3 - I used to kill cover 3 with flag routes. Other than that, look to underneath routes.

You know it is tough to explain this without a blackboard. X's and O's are so much easier than words. All I can say is, you got the pre-snap down. You know what should be done, now just do it. Get that comfortable feel and just release. Try practice against the coverages with different plays.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5

In ’09, I don’t worry about reading the defense that much because the defenders never react the way they should. So I just run through a progression of deep, middle and short routes, then throw the ball to the first open guy I find.

A quick tip that has helped me:

The O-line blocking schemes in this game are just plain broke, so plan on getting pressure every time you pass. You have to be able to see the whole screen or you will give up 10 sacks a game.

I usually use a deep drop back, from 7 to 10 yards, or roll out depending on the routes. Since there are no real passing lanes in this game, when I drop back, I try to tuck in behind one of my tackles but I am prepared to scramble at any time. I have cut the number of sacks I allow from 68 (season 1) to 21 (season 2) just by moving the pocket or scrambling.

Also, in this game, it takes receivers “forever” to run their routes, speed and acceleration ratings only come into play on “fly” routes. Moving the pocket or scrambling will allow your receivers enough time to get into their routes and get open.

I have never seen the AI fake a blitz, so look for LBs moving into the gaps, as well as CBs and Safeties moving up to the line and act accordingly.

Or you can just Cheeze by dropping back 20 to 30 yards, run around until your receivers break from their routes, then throw it 70 yards for a 15 yard gain.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I don't have any real advice to offer in this thread (I'm still struggling myself with the same things the original poster is), but I wanted to state how helpful I've found the replies so far: it's far more difficult finding good tips on how to play football (real or virtual) than I expected when I first started trying to move beyond the "scamper around and throw it on a whim" approach that a lot of Madden/NCAA players never progress beyond - if my experiences online have taught me anything, that is - and resources like this are invaluable in easing me along that rather formidable learning curve!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »