Home

You know what's really bad about this game/series?

This is a discussion on You know what's really bad about this game/series? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: You know what's really bad about this game/series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
The real issue will always be the limitations of an AI script based engine.

They need to put positional reads into the game based on formations then allow the attributes to determine how the players perform on execution of these reads. Percentage-wise, more skilled players will beat lessor skilled players - but sometimes the lessor team will win at the line of scrimmage or execute a great gameplan and take down the giant. (UF vs Ole Miss or Utah vs Bama)

To watch my center make the wrong block on a off guard run based on whether the defense blitzes is ridiculous. When they blitz, the center will double the DT and allow the LB to walk into the backfield. If the LB is in man or zone, the center will progress to the second level and take the LB out of the play. That's just foolish football.
These are all things that can be done today with program logic though. Why EA hasn't advanced to that level of thought is stilll a mystery to me. They seem more interested in making the typical video game than making the best football game possible.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
The real issue will always be the limitations of an AI script based engine.

They need to put positional reads into the game based on formations then allow the attributes to determine how the players perform on execution of these reads. Percentage-wise, more skilled players will beat lessor skilled players - but sometimes the lessor team will win at the line of scrimmage or execute a great gameplan and take down the giant. (UF vs Ole Miss or Utah vs Bama)

To watch my center make the wrong block on a off guard run based on whether the defense blitzes is ridiculous. When they blitz, the center will double the DT and allow the LB to walk into the backfield. If the LB is in man or zone, the center will progress to the second level and take the LB out of the play. That's just foolish football.
The thing is, I was fine with the way it used to be. I've had my fair share of games where I was upset by lesser teams and beaten by lesser players. That's also where working sliders really help.

But yeah, you're spot on about the blitzers just walking right on through while the linemen turn in the wrong direction. I don't mind it sometimes, but it seems to happen more often now than it did in the past which is just unacceptable.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
The thing is, I was fine with the way it used to be. I've had my fair share of games where I was upset by lesser teams and beaten by lesser players. That's also where working sliders really help.
The only time I was beaten by the CPU in the past is when it went into robo-superman-mode and the QB would knock of 2 DEs while tossing a 5 yard pass that bounces off a defender into the arms of a WR who breaks 12 tackles on the way to the endzone. Heh. I exaggerate but not much.

What I would look for in the game of the future is a field position battle. Where punting is actually a part of the game. Where moving the ball 20 yards and only getting a FG was a victory rather than a failure. Where having an efficient ground game (or running the ball) isn't a penalty.

Quote:
But yeah, you're spot on about the blitzers just walking right on through while the linemen turn in the wrong direction. I don't mind it sometimes, but it seems to happen more often now than it did in the past which is just unacceptable.
Now, the AI is scripted (at least on runs) for the linemen to ignore the oncoming backers ... which is just ... well, wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »