Home

Do we take the word "sim" too far?

This is a discussion on Do we take the word "sim" too far? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do we as OSers take the definition of "sim" too far?
Much too far 11 22.45%
A bit too far 25 51.02%
No we don't 13 26.53%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: Do we take the word "sim" too far?

The point is if the game plays out in a "sim" way then the stlye of play isnt as important because cheese play will never work.

I think when we say sim you have to understand its a video game and never will be a true simulation of real sports. But the fundementals can be done like real football and that to me is sim! A game with common sense physics and fundementals.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #18
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
yup. Leach keeps the plays he wants to call on a small piece of paper. like this.

Solidice - I love the avatar and "I dreamed it in my head" quote. Crabtree was so caught up in the hysteria, he didn't know what he was talking about. I laughed pretty hard after that interview.

Anyway, sometimes we all take the "sim" talk to annoying levels, but there are some things/plays that happen in reality that make you scratch your head. At the same rate, most video games don't allow for a true sim experience.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #19
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49

i have a QB in CL who can take a beating and have some speed. 4th and 3,no matter what situation, im sneaking the ball

@AdamdotH
Old 04-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #20
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10
Icon7 Re: Do we take the word "sim" too far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
Anyway, sometimes we all take the "sim" talk to annoying levels, but there are some things/plays that happen in reality that make you scratch your head. At the same rate, most video games don't allow for a true sim experience.
Yeah, that was hilarious!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 5

My god I do not understand the massive love affair with NFL 2K5, it has a TON of gameplay problems, don't keep acting like it was this amazingly playing game when it wasn't
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #22
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFan127
My god I do not understand the massive love affair with NFL 2K5, it has a TON of gameplay problems, don't keep acting like it was this amazingly playing game when it wasn't
I agree with you to an extent. I did a lot of things very well, but still had some glaring flaws. There is a major lovefest with this game though and only grows as the years go by.

I did like the game, but it wasn't the cat's pajamas. Then again, I'm not exactly a big NFL fan. Who knows what the game would be like now though (speaking of NFL2K10). I would be it would be pretty darn sweet to be honest.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Peench
Skewing of the questions? Excuse me? I'm not skewing anything. I asked a question to the community, and have provided what I believe to be a sufficient poll to answer that question. There will obviously never be an answer to satisfy every opinion, but thats what the forum is for.

And no need for names, sir.

Edit: See this guy just joined OS in April and he's already throwing fastballs. Man, this community has been going downhill recently...
I actually joined the "community" in July of 2002 you moron, this is just my new username.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #24
Rookie

GetYaWeigtUp's Arena

OVR: 8

There really is nothing wrong with calling screens, sneaks, and quick FB dives in the situations they arent are meant to be called in. The gameplay just isnt correct, creating an exploit. So I dont think you can call it cheese because your calling plays that teams call in real life in those situations. It just so happens, its easier to run them successfully because EA has screwed up the gameplay so many times through.

The Madden Blog shows a lot of the broken gameplay issues and how its being fixed. If EA can admit that they're gameplay isnt 100% realistic then I think safe to say that because the game doesnt play as realistic as it should, calling plays such as sneaks and screens cant be deemed cheese. People are calling them a lot in good situations, but then there are others who abuse it because they know how effective they are.

Cheese = abuse of exploits. I believe its quite easy to tell the guys who are abusing it because they do it over and over and fail to call normal plays. When someone comes out and runs a FB dive on 1st and 10, its safe to say they are trying to exploit a money play, because never in NCAA Football history as that play done as well as it did in NCAA 09. Its pretty rare that teams call that on 1st and 10, 3+ times a game. Thats clearly abusing an exploit imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »