Home

How big of a progression in speed?

This is a discussion on How big of a progression in speed? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: How big of a progression in speed?

Some people can improve quite a bit, some people can't.

Trindon Holliday got a lot faster in college. His facilities and coaching at Northeastern HS probably weren't the best but LSU has a world class track program and millions of dollars pumped into the weight room.

It varies from person to person - as long as it makes some sort of sense, cool.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #18
Banned

TooSmart's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylee
Some people can improve quite a bit, some people can't.

Trindon Holliday got a lot faster in college. His facilities and coaching at Northeastern HS probably weren't the best but LSU has a world class track program and millions of dollars pumped into the weight room.

It varies from person to person - as long as it makes some sort of sense, cool.
all im saying is you are not gona go from 5.1 to 4.4 it just doesn't happen.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSmart
i have to agree....i think speed is and attribute such as height and weight, it should barely change.
For the most part I agree. But I think height and especially weight should change a lot more in the game than they actually do.

Speed does progress some in NCAA 09. I recruited a 4-star power HB, he came in with 82 speed. Now as a true senior he has 86 speed. That is pretty realistic I think. But it doesn't seem to happen with a lot of players.

Here are the rough guidelines that I think should govern speed progression:
1. It should progress faster for higher-caliber players. So if you want to recruit a 2-star 90 speed player over a 4-star 87 speed player, go ahead, but the 4-star is likely to pretty much catch up to him toward the end of their careers.
2. It should progress faster for slower players. If you start with a 50 speed prospect, he should progress maybe 2-10 points of speed during his career. If it's a 95 speed prospect, he probably should only improve 1-3 points of speed during his career.
3. In conjunction with #2, position should affect the speed gain. So an 86 speed 4-star CB should see his speed progress faster than an 86 speed 4-star LB. Thus if you recruit an 80 speed HB prospect and then move him to FB, his speed won't progress much if at all. (But maybe his strength will progress faster.)
Old 05-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
Rookie

GigemAGGIES13's Arena

Guys definitely get faster while in college. Some athletes are even still growing when they come in as Freshman. That said, I really hope the four year change isn't that dramatic. Maybe two-three points if any.

I remember my players gaining a speed point or two in 09, so I'm confused as to why Russ labeled this as something new. I recruited a QB with 88 spd, who left school at a 90 spd. That's the kind of change I can deal with.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #21
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigemAGGIES13
Guys definitely get faster while in college. Some athletes are even still growing when they come in as Freshman. That said, I really hope the four year change isn't that dramatic. Maybe two-three points if any.

I remember my players gaining a speed point or two in 09, so I'm confused as to why Russ labeled this as something new. I recruited a QB with 88 spd, who left school at a 90 spd. That's the kind of change I can deal with.
I agree. But I suspect the difference is because the prospects are not going to come in with as much speed as they used to have, as part of the effort to make freshmen not as good and to make players progress more during their career. Thus speed will have to progress faster in NCAA 10 for players to have the right speed when they are upperclassmen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 7

shouldnt you guys want the people to get fast??? cause if they dont, your guys are gonna be slow forever and people are just gonna recruit nothing but speed again.

my vote is keep the speed training in even if we dont see it. and also make practice a regular part of dynasty so that you can actually gain point or lose points off it or something. your team isnt just automatically good you know lol.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #23
Banned

TooSmart's Arena

i also think that weight should fluctuate slightly in the game. a 165lb freshman should leave as a 175lb senior. that is a must.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #24
Rookie

mdurd2817's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigemAGGIES13

That is why I started this thread. Speed progression was fine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »