Home

NFL 2k5...how OL/DL interactions and other things should work.

This is a discussion on NFL 2k5...how OL/DL interactions and other things should work. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
NFL 2k5...how OL/DL interactions and other things should work.

Originally I was going to make a thread about how I missed the old 2k series spin move, which was used to break tackles (like in real life) instead of avoid defenders completely (like in NCAA/Madden). Then I came across this guy's videos of NFL 2k5 and its vast superiority to EA's attempts at football. The guy doesn't do the greatest job explaining what I feel are the selling points for the interaction, but we understand what he's trying to say. Here is the first video:

No suck blocking, all lineman are pushing or being pushed, there are actual double team blocks, there is a hole where a hole is supposed to be, and when you get into the hole a LB doesn't appear out of nowhere to fill it up. Every defensive player who isn't being blocked doesn't arrive at the ball carrier all at once and clog up the middle of the field. Also notice that the RB doesn't get stuck on the lineman and go into the treadmill animation. He slows and shifts his feet automatically when he changes direction to head upfield, and then accelerates. Here's another example:

And here's another example from APF that I like because of the pulling lineman.

Notice how a pulling lineman doesn't mean that an unblocked DL gets a free run at your RB. Also notice the backside of the play where the DT is allowed to get into the backfield because the play is to the other side of the field. He doesn't get to turn at full speed and tackle the RB from behind before he gets to the LOS, and basically runs himself out of the play, which should happen to a backside lineman. Next, notice how the pulling lineman and FB run down the field until they find someone to block. They don't run until their assigned pattern is over, and then turn back and try to block someone who is out of the play.

Here's a vid on breaking tackles:

Just **** @ that.

And a DL video:

WR catching:

And the winner...agility and acceleration ratings mean nada:

Anyway, everyone gets the point...just a few visuals to go along with things that have already been discussed. This guy has plenty more good videos on 2k5 vs Madden 09, and he's a poster who posts on OS in the Madden board. Here's his youtube page if you want to check more out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/apexisfree

I know he's comparing 2k to madden, and most of us play NCAA first, but to think that NCAA is often just a watered down version of Madden makes these comparisons even worse for us.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
MVP

TrapStar215's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: NFL 2k5...how OL/DL interactions and other things should work.

OMG, there has been enough threads comparing Madden 10 to this
"Okay, here's the story. I come from the gutter. I know that. I got no education... but that's okay. I know the street, and I'm making all the right connections. With the right woman, there's no stopping me. I could go right to the top."

Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 29
Re: NFL 2k5...how OL/DL interactions and other things should work.

yup I like the vids URC, but it's all been said before

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »