Home

Defensive Lineman Improvements for 2011. (Lengthy)

This is a discussion on Defensive Lineman Improvements for 2011. (Lengthy) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Rookie

tyler741's Arena

OVR: 7
Defensive Lineman Improvements for 2011. (Lengthy)

After watching a couple of next year's gameplay videos, it's clear that while OL/DL interactions have been improved, there's still tweaking needed to make them much more realistic.

First off, defensive lineman are usually taught to play "run first", meaning that they are the primary people to stop run plays before they go into second level (Linebackers/Secondary). They aren't worried about the pass so much, because that's not their job. You are not going to see a defensive lineman drop back and defend a hitch route or cover the flat (traditionally, I know there are some exceptions).

With a "run first" mentality comes GAP RESPONSIBILITY, which means each defensive lineman is responsible for their own gap, and they MUST be there to plug it up so that the ball carrier has no choice but to bounce to the outside where the linebackers and secondary can "trap" him and make the tackle. (Trapping is when you have two to four players coming up on the ball-carrier at different angles, thus "trapping" him, leaving him with nowhere to go).

Watching the videos, it doesn't currently look like the lineman are "slanting" to their gaps, they are merely slanting over and then getting occupied by one lineman, which is a big no-no.

Secondly, defensive lineman are taught to play LOW. Both offensive and defensive line coaches PREACH that "the low man wins".

Here is a picture of the lineman in their stances...

They are clearly sinking their butts and ready to take their flat step towards the gap and play low, right? Wrong.

They stand straight up and run towards their gap, only to get held up and occupied with a single offensive lineman.

Here's what it should look like:

Both offensive and defensive lineman have a lot of knee bend here and are playing low, trying to get their pads underneath one another. They clearly have forward momentum, and their shoulders aren't straight up, they are almost parallel to the turf.

Secondly, GET HANDPLAY INVOLVED! Once a defensive lineman is engaged with an offensive lineman, they don't just extend their hands on the offensive lineman, thinking they can win. They are taught after you take your first step, c.ock your arm back and deliver a blow. Rip, swim, spin, ANYTHING! Defensive lineman do NOT LIKE hands on the pads. Offensive lineman are taught to extend like that so they can steer you away from the play easier, without you being able to get a move on him.

Please pass this along, maybe the development team will read this and get some ideas going for next year.

If anyone else has some suggestions or ideas, feel free to throw them out there,
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Defensive Lineman Improvements for 2011. (Lengthy)

They need to just bring in an offensive line coach...
Problems: Everyone just stands up at the snap, They don't slide properly, no one is helping each other if left uncovered (not the same as a double team), there are no double teams, it's more of an initial punch then ride than grab and hold, and many more things...
Old 06-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Rookie

tyler741's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHSheadhunter09
They need to just bring in an offensive line coach...
Problems: Everyone just stands up at the snap, They don't slide properly, no one is helping each other if left uncovered (not the same as a double team), there are no double teams, it's more of an initial punch then ride than grab and hold, and many more things...
That was another thing I noticed that was annoying, no true double teams in the game.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler741
First off, defensive lineman are usually taught to play "run first", meaning that they are the primary people to stop run plays before they go into second level (Linebackers/Secondary). They aren't worried about the pass so much, because that's not their job. You are not going to see a defensive lineman drop back and defend a hitch route or cover the flat (traditionally, I know there are some exceptions).
I'm sorry but rushing the passer is a HUGE part of a DL's job. In a 4-3, they are expected to get sacks and QB pressures. Not so much in a 3-4. Here is a nice read if you want to go over roles of a DL: http://football.calsci.com/Positions8.html .
Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I'm sorry but rushing the passer is a HUGE part of a DL's job. In a 4-3, they are expected to get sacks and QB pressures. Not so much in a 3-4. Here is a nice read if you want to go over roles of a DL: http://football.calsci.com/Positions8.html .
I see what you're saying but generally, they have to play the run first. Ends rush the pass more so but being in position to take away the middle is priority # 1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
I see what you're saying but generally, they have to play the run first. Ends rush the pass more so but being in position to take away the middle is priority # 1.
I would generally agree with you but the original poster made it seem that a DL getting pressure on a QB is icing on the cake. Getting after the QB is a very important part of their job. Some coaches like John Teerlinck like smaller and quicker DL and teach them to stop the run on the way to the QB. Each scheme is a bit different.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I would generally agree with you but the original poster made it seem that a DL getting pressure on a QB is icing on the cake. Getting after the QB is a very important part of their job. Some coaches like John Teerlinck like smaller and quicker DL and teach them to stop the run on the way to the QB. Each scheme is a bit different.
I definitely agree with you about the difference in schemes but from the very foundation of football, we have to block or clog, or disrupt the core of the line first whether its due to rushing the passer from the interior DL or just simply being in the way. The core of the Line must be pushed, or intended to be pushed by design. I didn't take it that he meant the entire DL only stop the run but it's the first step.

I can only hope we'll see team with different styles one day like you speak of.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

More changes from another post:

After watching this video here are a couple other things I pointed out.

Is it just me or should the KO teams have a slight bump because this is ridiculous. 09 & from the looks of 10, the KO teams just get mauled when they have all the momentum. The suction/grapple animations need to go on KO's and Punts. It is more bang/bang and people don't stop to engage in whatever you call that. KO teams need to swarm more aggressively and in these situations I could see a need for a slight ratings boost or something to give the KO team a small advantage.

Call me crazy but I think this is a definite need for the next rendition along with the speed of the O in the backfield vs. the speed of the D. The extra momentum or downhill feeling isn't there. That pocket clip of OL/DL interaction of Buffalo vs Baltimore looked really good.

Same goes for the forest gump running and turning on a dime only to run straight for the sidelines. The only way you should be able to make a 90 degree turn would require an animation similar to the slip where you practically stop and lose speed because you start over. The speed burst should not even kick in unless you are in a fairly straight line. Any change of direction from that path would result in running at normal speed even if you are murdering the R2 button. If you want to change directions then you need to juke and even then you'd lose a little speed.

So it looks like we need to scrap the current animations for DL/OL interaction too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »