Home

How do you get pressure on the CPU QB?

This is a discussion on How do you get pressure on the CPU QB? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #49
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: How do you get pressure on the CPU QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
Ok I am getting sick and tired of people claiming the pass rush is fine. Getting a couple sacks here and there does not equal consistent pressure.

If you think the pass rush is fine, do this test that I did after I got annoyed with the lack of consistent pressure. Every play using one of the teams drop back and see how long it takes for you to get sacked. Here were the results I got doing that for 14 plays. 8 seconds, 8 seconds, 8 seconds, 12 seconds, 8 seconds, 17 seconds, 15 seconds, 16 seconds, 7 seconds, 4 seconds, 11 seconds, 8 seconds, 8 seconds, 9 seconds. Given that much time to throw on average what CPU or human QB will not pick a defense apart. That is not even close to the limited time QB's have to get rid of the ball in real life.

Manually controlling d-linemen, blitzing or using abusing JTS should not be the only to generate consistent pressure. The pass rush from CPU d-linemen is simply pathetic. Dominate d-linemen regardless of if there human controlled or not should be able to get consistent pressure.

The pocket still stinks as well. DE don't really get upfield at all and DT's don't create any kind of push upfield. I don't want to see anybody giving EA credit for implementing a poor pocket this far into this gen. The fact that we still don't have a true pocket is ridiculous.
Yes your are exactly right. DT's do not create any pressure upfield at all. AI controlled human players on the d-line all play like they are 60 overall.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #50
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedrumsdw
I did not mean for my post to imply that your experiences or opinions are invalid. I have read many of your posts and there are well thought out and inteligent; I agree with most of what you say. I guess we disagree about the DL pressure, to me it does not resemble real college football ( CPU QB's only). I just don't want people to get the impression that a user controlled pass rush means the problem is solved. If the pass rush was accurate we would not be on here trying to devise ways to work around the core gameplay issues. A fourman rush simply does not generate enough pressure for the game to resemble the college game. Offensive lineman in college (OU and florida included) are not this good.
I guess I probably don't see this as much because I play as the defensive end. This is due to me feeling that pass rush is the most important part of any defense, I played DE in high school, and so now that they allow decent control over dlinemen (probably the best of any game I have played) I play as a DE and cause the pass rush myself.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #51
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

I play safety on heisman level with player lock. I have not had a sack on tebow in 6 games. And it is not due to my coverage being lackluster in the secondary. Many plays TT has had over 10 seconds to throw the ball. I should not have to make all kinds of adjustments to my DL in order to to get pressure, and I do line shifts and adjust to aggressive pressure settings.Try it out for yourself , play safety for a game and watch how bad your DT push is upfield, and how long it takes for your highly rated DE's to close the pocket. Makes me feel like the entire Florida OL are top 5 draft picks.

Last edited by stevedrumsdw; 06-30-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #52
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
I guess I probably don't see this as much because I play as the defensive end. This is due to me feeling that pass rush is the most important part of any defense, I played DE in high school, and so now that they allow decent control over dlinemen (probably the best of any game I have played) I play as a DE and cause the pass rush myself.
If you don't play DE, your team is ineffective in the pass rush. A user controlled player is disruptive and causes your other DL lineman to play better because the AI QB is forced to move around. User AI DE's and DT's are dreadful, they are very limited.

Last edited by stevedrumsdw; 06-30-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #53
MVP

Quote:
If it like if you don't play DE, your team is ineffective in the pass rush. A usre controlled player is disruptive and causes your other DL lineman to play better because the AI QB is forced to move around. User AI DE's and DT's are dreadful, they are very limited.
This is somewhat true. If you set the DL to agressive they do a little better but still not great and not nearly what they do when user controlled.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #54
Rookie

GetYaWeigtUp's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
If you don't play DE, your team is ineffective in the pass rush. A user controlled player is disruptive and causes your other DL lineman to play better because the AI QB is forced to move around. User AI DE's and DT's are dreadful, they are very limited.
Yea but it shouldnt be like this. No one should have to be forced to play DE/DT in order to get some pressure. I use the MLB mainly and sometimes I'll go OLB or FS/SS and its irritating seeing robo QB. The cpu QBs have all day to throw and always make the perfect read. Its unrealistic how they never throw into traffic or hit the wrong WR on a play. I know TT and SB are good but they should make the wrong reads here every once in a while. This was the same with NCAA 09, it didnt matter how good or bad a QBs rating was, he was instant offense and rarely made the wrong reads or a bad throw.

I just want to see some realism. Its unrealistic that the OL doesnt allow any pressure at all, and the QBs have 5+ seconds to throw. I understand they want NCAA to be more of an offensive game, and maybe play a little more wide open, but they havent done it the right way. The DL is atrocious even after this new OL/DL interaction they have implemented. Now all the DL just doesnt get flipped as much as they used to but its still not fixed in terms of pass rush. Its frustrating how these issues have been ignored, and then these guys release silly blogs and threads about Season Showdown, Teambuilder, and rosters. Fix the gameplay people.

Games gain lasting power from gameplay not features. I'll be happy when NCAA takes on a new name and changes the direction they are headed in, because I just dont see the passion for this game from the devs as I see with the Madden, NHL, and NBA Live team at this point!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #55
Pro

WolverinesFinest's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
This is exactly how it is now. Sad really
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #56
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
First off what level are you testing this on, second what do you have the gameplanning set to, and third how far are you dropping back?

On hiesman with the defense set to agressive using florida for 8 snaps sending 4 guys with the d and blocking with 5 on average I had just over 5 seconds. All of those were out of the gun and included 1 times where tim broke a tackle without me hitting a button extending it up to 7 seconds and would have been shorter times otherwise. Without breaking a tackle he had one time with 6 seconds

Using oklahoma with the same setup but going out of a single back formation I averaged the just over 5 as well but it would have been considerably less except bradford had one play where he broke 2 tackles and the d was all around him and got blocked off at the last second where it took 14 seconds. At some point along there the cpu probably would have gotten nervous and thrown a hurried pass and I know for sure I would have. Not counting that one the average was only 4 seconds.

Playing with the offense set to agressive and the D to passive where the offense should basically have a ton of time florida averaged just over 8 seconds and oklahoma averaged just over 10 seconds. Bradford had one play with 5 broken tackles though and another with 4 which took 19 and 15 seconds respectively. Without those it is down to just over 8 seconds.

With them both set to the balanced gameplan the averages for both teams were just over 6 seconds with florida totaling 1 second more over the course of 8 plays.

Those numbers do seem pretty high but then again there were a lot of times there where either a guy missed a tackle or was pushed right in front of or behind the qb that would have caused some rushed throws or some scrambling before those times hit.
I did that test on Heisman and was dropping back about 3 steps each time.

I think you underestimate how much more time that is to throw than qb's in real life have.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »