Home

Slider Functionality and how it relates to Sim/Casual Gamer.

This is a discussion on Slider Functionality and how it relates to Sim/Casual Gamer. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Slider Functionality and how it relates to Sim/Casual Gamer.

I'd simply prefer 0 and 100 be extremes in either direction as opposed to this theory:

Quote:
1. Have the default settings on Freshman and Varsity be geared towards a wide open, high scoring game with very little difficulty.

2. Have the default settins on All American and Heisman be more defense oriented and much more challenging AI wise in regards to CPU AI decision making and skill.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
The argument of whether or not NCAA is/should appeal more towards the OS "Sim" crowd or the "Casual" gamer i.e. 12 year old Timmy or Joe Random who just wants to hop on and score 9 touchdowns a game on offense is, in my opinion....moot if slider functionality and implementation is done properly.

EA.... take note.

Look in the slider section and see just how many folks have slider settings at either 0 or 100.

This is not a good thing.

If Sliders were truly effective and powerful, you would rarely if ever see someone with slider settings so extreme one way or the other.

You can appeal to both groups of gamers and increase your customer base my making very simple tweaks.

1. Have the default settings on Freshman and Varsity be geared towards a wide open, high scoring game with very little difficulty.

2. Have the default settins on All American and Heisman be more defense oriented and much more challenging AI wise in regards to CPU AI decision making and skill.

3. Increase the number of sliders for each area of football. 5 total sliders for offense is way too simplistic...especially given the amount of attributes listed for each player.

Have Sliders for everything known to man....QB accuracy, throwing power, throwing on run, scrambling, etc. WR catch, release from bump coverage, route running, etc.

Don't worry about the number of sliders...why? Because the only folks who will be using them are the Hardcore "sim" crowd anyway...Timmy and Joe Random are going to just pop the game in and start playing anyway.

To me...it seems like such a simple solution. I've been waiting for EA to take 2k's lead in regards to this as 2k's sports games have TONS of sliders for all areas of the game as well as sliders that are POWERFUL....it makes a difference moving a slider 3 clicks to the left or right.

I fully expect you EA to make drastic strides in this area for NCAA 2011. In my opinion...and given how your biggest competitor in the Sports games arena has led the way already on this for years.....it is a no brainer and will DRASTICALLY improve EVERYONE'S gaming experience.

That's it. Just wanted to share.
agree..

0 means 0... 100 means LOT!.. this way we will able to find a happy medium

Example Interceptions... if i set them at 0... i should expect 0 INTERCEPTIONS... BASICALLY NO HANDS FOR THE D.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

here here!
i'm looking forward to the day also, when one can change a slider and actually make the game more 'real' ...

realism is what i like forget the cheese i'm probably not even going to play road to glory mini game...cause superstar mode on madden has been so poor over the years.

bring back the sliders and getm to work ...couple that with a sim vs. arcade styles of play and youve got a winner!

~shmity72
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6

excellent post. i agree wholeheartedly, however i dont have anything intelligent to add to it. just i agree
Old 07-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
Rookie

secballers's Arena

OVR: 4

I remember NCAA 05 right out of the box was not very fun. Then I went online and found slider adjustments and it made it the most enjoyable game I've played. Played it year round.

Then I remember last year hating the wide open arcade type of play so I came on this site and followed AA trying to figure out how to adjust the sliders only to realize they were broken. And I only played NCAA until Madden came out. Thanks to all those who tweak and adjust to try to make the video game better for everyone. Hopefully the slider patch will come soon after release. Any word on a date?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
It's hard to swallow a year's worth of complaining only net minimal gains in areas we wanted.

I can't recall a single person on these boards asking for Season Showdown or a more in-depth Road to Glory.

I can see their point on both "features" but I don't feel the majority of people would benefit from this.

Hopefully next year they follow their own numbers and focus on something like dynasty. I remember reading a quote where over 50% played strictly offline dynasty!
I personally would LOVE to see a % of those who LOVE the addition of Season Showdown sponsored by Coke Zero and road to glory. I would be willing to bet it is no higher than 5%.

But the thing is the "suits" make the overall decision of whats in and whats out. If adding those LAME azz features has the potential to increase their profit margin and increase their demographic, it is going to be in. The sad thing is that all that has been done is create a much lower quality game from year to year.

Ticks me off....What good are features if the game is sub-par to say the least.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31

AA, keep up the good fight my friend! I agree wholeheartedly with your post. One day all of our complaints will be heard AND taken care of. Until then we need people like you to keep reminding them that we notice that they aren't listening as much as they should be! Get'em AA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 33

NCAA just needs to implement what Madden did last year with the tron football AI test.

On second thought, just take Madden 09 and change the teams and commentators into NCAA. Tht might just work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »