Home

Slider Functionality and how it relates to Sim/Casual Gamer.

This is a discussion on Slider Functionality and how it relates to Sim/Casual Gamer. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #33
Banned

WisconsinSports414's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Slider Functionality and how it relates to Sim/Casual Gamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chia51
i agree 1000%... when there is a good topic going on about the game they suddenly just disappear.... but as soon as someone makes a comment about Season Showdown and how to gain style points in it, they are there 2 mins after the post.

They don't know what is going on in the game, and I am pretty sure that they can't fix the sliders b/c it would probably break the game in one way or another.
I've noticed this trend as well. Interesting.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #34
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1
I've wanted the sliders to be better for a long time too. And it would be great if Freshman, All-American, Heisman, etc were all just different slider settings... for example if you had it on Freshman, the CPU INT slider would be very low, and on Heisman it would be high. Using this would be so much better because it would force them to make sliders work or else there would only be one difficulty level.

Also, the game definitely needs a TON more sliders, mainly on offense, including game speed, ball speed (technically throw power I guess), pursuit, etc, and a detailed description of each. I'd even like CPU playcalling sliders in-game to set the CPU aggressiveness and pass/run ratio. I hate when teams never run.

Anyway, this is one of the many reasons I'm not buying the game this year.
I agree about eliminating the difficulty settings. 2K4/5 (probably most of them) just had different slider settings to account for difficulty. Make the sliders on a 100 point scale and make them powerful! It would probably be easier for EA to finetune game without difficulty settings too.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #35
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
The argument of whether or not NCAA is/should appeal more towards the OS "Sim" crowd or the "Casual" gamer i.e. 12 year old Timmy or Joe Random who just wants to hop on and score 9 touchdowns a game on offense is, in my opinion....moot if slider functionality and implementation is done properly.

EA.... take note.

Look in the slider section and see just how many folks have slider settings at either 0 or 100.

This is not a good thing.

If Sliders were truly effective and powerful, you would rarely if ever see someone with slider settings so extreme one way or the other.

You can appeal to both groups of gamers and increase your customer base my making very simple tweaks.

1. Have the default settings on Freshman and Varsity be geared towards a wide open, high scoring game with very little difficulty.

2. Have the default settins on All American and Heisman be more defense oriented and much more challenging AI wise in regards to CPU AI decision making and skill.

3. Increase the number of sliders for each area of football. 5 total sliders for offense is way too simplistic...especially given the amount of attributes listed for each player.

Have Sliders for everything known to man....QB accuracy, throwing power, throwing on run, scrambling, etc. WR catch, release from bump coverage, route running, etc.

Don't worry about the number of sliders...why? Because the only folks who will be using them are the Hardcore "sim" crowd anyway...Timmy and Joe Random are going to just pop the game in and start playing anyway.

To me...it seems like such a simple solution. I've been waiting for EA to take 2k's lead in regards to this as 2k's sports games have TONS of sliders for all areas of the game as well as sliders that are POWERFUL....it makes a difference moving a slider 3 clicks to the left or right.

I fully expect you EA to make drastic strides in this area for NCAA 2011. In my opinion...and given how your biggest competitor in the Sports games arena has led the way already on this for years.....it is a no brainer and will DRASTICALLY improve EVERYONE'S gaming experience.

That's it. Just wanted to share.
AA, great post. This line of thinking could/would/should end all the debate about casual gamer vs. sim gamer. Options and control are what the hardcore sim gamer wants. Take-Two understood this and did a good job. I would love to see EA start to move in that direction sooner than later.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #36
Roll Tide!

Coach Bryant's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
The argument of whether or not NCAA is/should appeal more towards the OS "Sim" crowd or the "Casual" gamer i.e. 12 year old Timmy or Joe Random who just wants to hop on and score 9 touchdowns a game on offense is, in my opinion....moot if slider functionality and implementation is done properly.

AA I agree 100%! No pass rush..no problem! Just drop the pass blocking slider. It should be that easy. Why can't EA get it right?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #37
MVP

UNC_Pete's Arena

OVR: 22

I've always wanted sliders to be this way. It makes total sense. Even penalties should be this way! 100 is one almost every play and 0 is none, ect..
Old 07-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #38
MVP

atlplayboy23's Arena

OVR: 10

Great post AA. I doubt EA will ever listen though. This game is for Casual gamers they dont care about the sim crowd.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #39
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

I'd love to hear some EA opinions.

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just wanting to know if these thoughts have had serious consideration at EA/NCAA Headquarters.

A large library of powerful, working sliders that cover all aspects of football would really put this game back where it always needs to be.

It would also allow us SIM junkies to spend hours and hours creating our most perfect "close to sim" experience AND allow the casual guy to just ignore the sliders and play the game right out of the box.

Adam?

Russell?

This isn't a flame, this is an attempt at a roundtable discussion on the future of the franchise.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #40
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8

This is basically how the sliders where in Madden last year if you remember. If you turned off Madden IQ it gave you Human sliders in which there were categories of sliders that contained three sub categories under them. It was awesome except for one huge problem: they only had all these sliders for the Human, and they completely removed the CPU sliders.

I would have loved Madden last year if they had kept the cpu sliders in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »