Home

Interview with Russ Kiniry

This is a discussion on Interview with Russ Kiniry within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #17
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Interview with Russ Kiniry

The presenatation issue is really baffling, this years game is so terrible in this area its as if EA decided to not spend any money on it knowing the sales would be about the same. I like the game this year but wow are you kidding me? The presentation is horrendous and may be the worst of any sports title I have ever played. The one idea that EA did have was bands on the field, and that adds nothing whatsoever to the game atmosphere. Compared to NCAA 2006 this game is mere shadow of its former self save the much improved gameplay and some other great ideas as well. But The direction of this title has clearly taken the marketing low road and gone away from the sim crowd. It is not all bad don't assume that I am just bashing EA becasue many things have improved, but I just don't understand the convaluted sense of this dev team reguarding what needs to be in the game before other things. I Just don't understand it at all?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #18
Pro

WolverinesFinest's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
About rosters:

"At the end of the day, you get it as good as you can & there's always gonna be someone who doesn't like it, as we found out"

General thoughts:

"Big thing that we go for is to make it feel like Saturday"

In response to the oddest requests they've had:

"More mascot crazy mini-games.. I don't know if that fits our audience, it may fit you but.."

"From the smallest details of get these cleats right, to like the overarching we wanna Athletic Director mode..well the question becomes what does that mean? (Laughs)"

Paraphrasing, but he basically said when they get requests for presentation, it seems very vague, but when it comes to pregame, halftime he gets its, but "doesn't know what to do with vague (Laughs)"

Future of the game:

Paraphrasing - Season Showdown & TeamBuilder, user created content, mimicking what you see on Saturday's. "We Have a target goal"

"Locomotions & on the field stuff and get that where we want it to be"

These guys Ty & Dan have some good ideas actually...Their ideas:
-Coach Twitter feeds (Joking...I hope)
-Recruiting Violations
-NBA Live 360 like updates
-Atmosphere - Real Specific things like shots of the offensive coordinator, stuff like that:

"To be honest, that's something we're workin on right now. We started on that....got all the crazy ideas together a week or 2 ago"

Rapid Fire from interviewers:

-Spring Football Game
-National Signing Day
-Practice With Drills
-Personal Fouls

"Any one of those ring a bell?"

"I would say one of those ring a bell, you never know"

Talks about interacting with community... Pushing those requests in.
He keeps saying things are vague but how can anyone say that when there are very detailed threads likes born4corn's equipment thread with very detailed equipment wished to be added. Not to mention the wishlist threads on here and ncaastrategies that usually have some very good quality posts. And saying requests are vague is just not wanting to answer the question.

Give us the presentation we had 7 years ago in NCAA 2004. Is that too vague also?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #19
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverinesFinest
He keeps saying things are vague but how can anyone say that when there are very detailed threads likes born4corn's equipment thread with very detailed equipment wished to be added. Not to mention the wishlist threads on here and ncaastrategies that usually have some very good quality posts. And saying requests are vague is just not wanting to answer the question.

Give us the presentation we had 7 years ago in NCAA 2004. Is that too vague also?
Yeah I am confused about his answers in this interview, some of the requests are vague, but many of them have hit on the same points for years now.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
"From the smallest details of get these cleats right, to like the overarching we wanna Athletic Director mode..well the question becomes what does that mean? (Laughs)"
This is the only thing that really got me.. I have a detailed outline of what a possible AD mode could be. No way from reading it could you say "how would that really work," or "I don't get it."

I realize his specialty is gameplay & not so much dynasty/game modes, but I'm just hoping he was either exaggerating or he hasn't had a chance to read it.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #21
MVP

Ziza9Noles94's Arena

OVR: 12

"-NBA Live 360 like updates"

That would basically be like saying, Hey no more wink wink guys......we have Tim Tebow in the game. Tebow just started running more than passing downfield over the last few games. Here's a live update of this college player that we aren't really supposed to name. Plus, the live updates would only be good for a couple of dynasty seasons after which many of the key starters would have graduated. It seems like it could be a good idea at first, but I don't think it would work like it does in a pro game. For various reasons.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #22
Pro

WolverinesFinest's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziza9Noles94
"-NBA Live 360 like updates"

That would basically be like saying, Hey no more wink wink guys......we have Tim Tebow in the game. Tebow just started running more than passing downfield over the last few games. Here's a live update of this college player that we aren't really supposed to name. Plus, the live updates would only be good for a couple of dynasty seasons after which many of the key starters would have graduated. It seems like it could be a good idea at first, but I don't think it would work like it does in a pro game. For various reasons.
Yeah these updates can't happen for college games, that's a fat fine for ea or 2k if either company did this.

and lol born, that was the most detailed ad mode explanation I've ever seen.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #23
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
This is the only thing that really got me.. I have a detailed outline of what a possible AD mode could be. No way from reading it could you say "how would that really work," or "I don't get it."

I realize his specialty is gameplay & not so much dynasty/game modes, but I'm just hoping he was either exaggerating or he hasn't had a chance to read it.
well just because you have a detailed outline of what it could be doesnt mean he's seen it.

I remember Madden getting Owner Mode and immediately NCAA fans were screaming give us AD mode as if everyone knew what the hell AD mode was. Right now you basically are the coach. If the coach either is fired or you make him quit, you take over whatever new school that coach is at. So simply they just switch it to where you control the school not the coach, so you can hire/fire coaches or assistants. But some of the things people talk about wanting in an AD mode get ridiculous. I dont want to have to spend hours just setting up for a game week. And stadium expansions would only work in numbers not anything visual because they take so much time to get shots of the stadiums from different angles to get the stadium as close to real as possible so how do you keep that same real look and then add generic stuff?

But anyways... the real issue is the people that make NCAA. They clearly have no idea what the real fans actually want. Ben was an absolute joke to listen to this spring into early summer. Russ can't seem to understand what we want. They continue to ship out a game that has the same issues as the previous year (broken sliders, bad rosters, schedule problems, custom stadium sound problems, etc.) so that is pretty piss poor as well. They really need to get some new guys in there but unfortionately the guy that should be there and could take this game to a new level is busy doing that for Madden.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #24
Rookie

ebarws6's Arena

OVR: 9

The in-season updates are a good idea, but will we have to make a new named roster everytime they update?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »