Home

Sportsmanship sucks

This is a discussion on Sportsmanship sucks within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #25
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Sportsmanship sucks

I'm gonna stick with my dynasty mode and say screw this SS stuff. Seems like they didn't get it right. I kinda thought it was a pointless feature that should have come after we got other improvements. Stuff like all the stadiums, better presentation, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #26
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsaQue
If you don't want to do what the sportsmanship thing says, you don't have to. You're not really being punished for it. But what you guys are all doing is running up the score, and not good sportsmanship, so you should lose points for it. The points mean almost nothing though, so why are you getting upset?
Yes but it's totally out of proportion. +10 for punting on fourth down compared with -100 for a screen pass on 3rd and long?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #27
Rookie

LunchBox Legend's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
If you don't want to do what the sportsmanship thing says, you don't have to. You're not really being punished for it. But what you guys are all doing is running up the score, and not good sportsmanship, so you should lose points for it. The points mean almost nothing though, so why are you getting upset?

Passing the ball in the 4th while up 3 td's? Not very good sportsmanship. Bringing in your backups, and throwing the ball all over the field to get their stats up? Not very good sportsmanship. Going for it on 4th down when you're ahead by more than one score? Not very good sportsmanship. Running the option while you're running out the clock? Not very good sportsmanship. If real coaches did this, they would get blasted.

People say they want realism, but when EA finally puts something in that discourages (even if it only discourages it a little) the unsportsmanlike stuff you see online all the time, people get upset. "But I want to get 5 td passes, and I only have 4 and there's only 30 seconds left. I shouldn't lose Season Showdown points even though it's 42-7." Consider the sportsman -10 to be the media trashing you the next day for running up the score.

Let's also remember that this game is played by many young kids (as anyone who has every played online can attest). We should be teaching them good sportsmanship, and the game, with it's Season Showdown, rewards playing the game the right way, and penalizes playing the bush league (to borrow a baseball term) way.
We aren't going for it on 4th down. We are running a screen pass on 3rd and 15 on the first play of the 4th quarter(6 min qtrs) and getting hit with a -100 penalty. Explain to me how that is running up the score when I am up by 14 against TT!? My lead was in NO WAY safe when facing an offense like TT. Please Explain.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #28
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunchBox Legend
We aren't going for it on 4th down. We are running a screen pass on 3rd and 15 on the first play of the 4th quarter(6 min qtrs) and getting hit with a -100 penalty. Explain to me how that is running up the score when I am up by 14 against TT!? My lead was in NO WAY safe when facing an offense like TT. Please Explain.
A lot of real coaches would likely run a draw or other running play in that situation. You'd really only pass in that situation if you badly wanted another score, not if you're running out the clock. A coach would probably take a small chance at a big run, a really big chance of protecting the ball and safely punting, and almost a guarantee of that much extra clock getting ran off, rather than a possibility of a hold (which are more common on screen plays than any other play aside from special teams), and int (giving them Great Field Position), a sack (basically giving yards to their offense), or an incomplete pass (stopping the clock). The only reason to pass in that situation is to get a 1st down so you can try and score.

But you know, what there are going to be times when you want to throw. So throw. Who cares about the -100 you're getting. If you play sim most of the time, you're normally going to end up positive overall. I've gotten -100 points. Did I let that stop me from doing it? Absolutely not. Overall, I'm positive, but I won't hesitate to throw if I think it's what I need to do to win. I'll take -100 points. Do you think Spurrier is intentionally trying to run up the score when he calls a deep pass on 1st and 10 up by 21? No, he's trying to win. Is he getting a metaphorical -100 for that the next day? Yeppers. Will it stop him? No way.

In the end though, it's all just for season showdown. Who cares that much about it? And it doesn't count for much. The top 3 schools (Ohio State, Florida, Texas) are the bottom three in sportsmanship. The best school for sportsmanship is GaTech, and they're 28th overall. They're also the only team in the top 40 that's positive in sportsmanship at all. So it really can't make that much of a difference.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #29
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

It's a okay system that needs tweaking. What is worse if you run the first two downs and throw on the 3rd to convert and keep the clock running and the defense off the field you get hit with -100 or whatever. What am I suppose to do? Give the other team offensive possessions so they can have a chance at scoring?

As I said, okay system that needs to tweak these things out.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #30
Rookie

LunchBox Legend's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
A lot of real coaches would likely run a draw or other running play in that situation. You'd really only pass in that situation if you badly wanted another score, not if you're running out the clock. A coach would probably take a small chance at a big run, a really big chance of protecting the ball and safely punting, and almost a guarantee of that much extra clock getting ran off, rather than a possibility of a hold (which are more common on screen plays than any other play aside from special teams), and int (giving them Great Field Position), a sack (basically giving yards to their offense), or an incomplete pass (stopping the clock). The only reason to pass in that situation is to get a 1st down so you can try and score.

But you know, what there are going to be times when you want to throw. So throw. Who cares about the -100 you're getting. If you play sim most of the time, you're normally going to end up positive overall. I've gotten -100 points. Did I let that stop me from doing it? Absolutely not. Overall, I'm positive, but I won't hesitate to throw if I think it's what I need to do to win. I'll take -100 points. Do you think Spurrier is intentionally trying to run up the score when he calls a deep pass on 1st and 10 up by 21? No, he's trying to win. Is he getting a metaphorical -100 for that the next day? Yeppers. Will it stop him? No way.

In the end though, it's all just for season showdown. Who cares that much about it? And it doesn't count for much. The top 3 schools (Ohio State, Florida, Texas) are the bottom three in sportsmanship. The best school for sportsmanship is GaTech, and they're 28th overall. They're also the only team in the top 40 that's positive in sportsmanship at all. So it really can't make that much of a difference.
Yes, I was trying to score! I was not comfortable with a 14 point lead with a whole quarter left. TT has the kind of passing attack that can put up points in a hurry. That's not running up the score, it's good coaching.

Also, if the SS doesn't mean anything then why attach it to achievements?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
My boys!

In all honesty, the only reason we are leading that is because we run the flexbone. Though I guess there are enough passing plays in the playbook to where you could pass on 3rd and 15, so in that case, I'm not sure why we're leading.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 4

You can turn it off if you go to the options menu during a game and switch to the other team. It only works against the computer as far as I know. You lose any points you gained but you no longer have to worry about losing points for your team.

Until the fix this issue I plan to do this for as long as I play. I'm tired of killing Texas's sportsmanship score because I wish to pass in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »