Home

Maybe "real" is asking too much.

This is a discussion on Maybe "real" is asking too much. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Maybe "real" is asking too much.

Yeah I am finding the blocking to really be horrible on shotgun run plays.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedrumsdw
Gameplan is more like a tecmo bowl feature where you guess the play, takes the strategy right out of it for real football coaches.
What? Defensive football is essentially "guessing" if they are going to run or pass. You send out a play designed to do one or the other. Nothing does both.

If anything, this is why Tecmo Super Bowl is STILL being played. It's a true thinkers game. You risk something on each play call.

Gameplan is not the broken part of the game. Sloppy OL/DL design is. I'm sorry, if you have to program a play called "contain", you're designing football video games incorrectly.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Gameplan is not the broken part of the game. Sloppy OL/DL design is.
I agree 100%. I like the Gameplan feature. But to me, it's for special situations. The basic gameplay still has to work correctly, and in a lot of ways it does not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 11

EA Sports: If it's in the game, bits and pieces of it are in the game. After we patch it two months from now. That is.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

I found a little success running from shotgun but mostly you have to catch the computer/human "napping" a little. Gameplan, IMO, is the reason running from the spread is so difficult. Once your opponent plays the run it's pretty much a wrap. Most of the runs I've seen our to the outside, and most people play contain alot so their DE's are coming free regardless along with missed blocking assignments. In the end I've given up on it and went back to the West Coast (the most unstoppable offense no matter what you do, lol)

Last edited by JerzeyReign; 08-04-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
Banned

feedthehorse28's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
What? Defensive football is essentially "guessing" if they are going to run or pass. You send out a play designed to do one or the other. Nothing does both.
im not sure if i would make the guessing generalization. in every defensive system that i know of, the players read run or pass each play. unless its a blitz or a prevent or something like that, they dont totally commit to one or the other.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
In my 10 years of playing football, I would say we were never "guessing" to the point of excluding the alternative. Ever. Especially pre-play.

The biggest part of offensive football is enforcing your will on the opponent. It's being able to successfully play to your strength regardless of the opposition.

If teams could "magically" run commit, then how did Alabama successfully run it down everyone's throat last year?

But, what's doubly cheesy about the "commit" is that you can run commit middle and destroy the run or pass, regardless of formation. Worse, run commit is overly powerful compared to pass commit.

Quote:
If anything, this is why Tecmo Super Bowl is STILL being played. It's a true thinkers game. You risk something on each play call.
Tecmo is being played because it didn't take an hour to play. It's 5 minutes.

Quote:
Gameplan is not the broken part of the game. Sloppy OL/DL design is. I'm sorry, if you have to program a play called "contain", you're designing football video games incorrectly.
Both are.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #16
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthehorse28
im not sure if i would make the guessing generalization. in every defensive system that i know of, the players read run or pass each play. unless its a blitz or a prevent or something like that, they dont totally commit to one or the other.
Yeah, sorry for the generalization. I'm mainly talking about selling out type plays.
Base defense style plays of course have reads the players have to make, and that will always depend on talent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »