Home

Remember Competition

This is a discussion on Remember Competition within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Rookie

Comet21's Arena

OVR: 4
Remember Competition

I don't say much around here, but I frequent the site due to the great content. I am 27 years old but I can say I have been playing video games my whole life, I have owned just about every system known that has come out from Commodore 64 to Atari, ColecoVision, Sega Master System, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Gameboy,Super Nintendo, 3DO, Playstion, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PS2, XBox 360, and PS3(Never had a NeoGeo, Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, or Original XBox)

I list all of those systems to show I love video games, but I do not consider myself a video game expert. The one thing all of those games had in common was competition with EVERY sports game.
Tecmo Bowl was not the only football game put at the time, but it was so much better than NES Playaction Football, or NFL Football. When Madden first came out you had Joe Montana Football, or Walter Payton Football, or Great Football, or Mutant League Football(which was actually a fun game made by EA). Bill Walsh College Football even had competition from NCAA Football, and NCAA Gamebreakers. I remember when the PS1 dropped you only had 1 Football game to chose from and that was NFL Gameday, which was a really good game, and it forced EA to become the undisputed champion with it's Madden series.

Now they just buy the crown, because they can spend more on the exclusive license. I hate it when my nephews say Madden is the best, because they have nothing to compare it to, but last years version. So I am not bashing EA because they made a smart business decision, the only thing we can do as consumers is not buy bad products, or buy them and continue to complain. I am not buying them anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Remember Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet21
I don't say much around here, but I frequent the site due to the great content. I am 27 years old but I can say I have been playing video games my whole life, I have owned just about every system known that has come out from Commodore 64 to Atari, ColecoVision, Sega Master System, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Gameboy,Super Nintendo, 3DO, Playstion, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PS2, XBox 360, and PS3(Never had a NeoGeo, Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, or Original XBox)

I list all of those systems to show I love video games, but I do not consider myself a video game expert. The one thing all of those games had in common was competition with EVERY sports game.
Tecmo Bowl was not the only football game put at the time, but it was so much better than NES Playaction Football, or NFL Football. When Madden first came out you had Joe Montana Football, or Walter Payton Football, or Great Football, or Mutant League Football(which was actually a fun game made by EA). Bill Walsh College Football even had competition from NCAA Football, and NCAA Gamebreakers. I remember when the PS1 dropped you only had 1 Football game to chose from and that was NFL Gameday, which was a really good game, and it forced EA to become the undisputed champion with it's Madden series.

Now they just buy the crown, because they can spend more on the exclusive license. I hate it when my nephews say Madden is the best, because they have nothing to compare it to, but last years version. So I am not bashing EA because they made a smart business decision, the only thing we can do as consumers is not buy bad products, or buy them and continue to complain. I am not buying them anymore.
how could you forget 10 yard fight?...lol...but seriously, i agree...competition makes you sit in a room and say what can we put that they dont have...back then, they didnt really need input from the community b/c they were creative about what to add to a game that the competitors didnt have
Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WEiRDguy
how could you forget 10 yard fight?...lol...but seriously, i agree...competition makes you sit in a room and say what can we put that they dont have...back then, they didnt really need input from the community b/c they were creative about what to add to a game that the competitors didnt have
Yeah then we could have two games to complain about!!

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 08-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 1

Dude how did you miss out on the turbo graphics 16 What a garbage system. Listen i hate exclusive license as much as you, but you cant blame EA cause from what i understand it was the NFL who started the bidding war.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
LMAO...true though
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Rookie

bipolar's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
but what people don't understand is right now EA feels no pressure because yeah we all complain about the game, but most of us still go out and buy it to get our college football fix...

if there was competition, then there would be another game to buy so we wouldn't have to settle for this crap..thats the only way to hurt EA and wake them up..i for one buy the game every year just because i love college football..i think EA puts out a joke of a game, but i buy it just because it's college
Old 08-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Funny thing for me is I loved Gameday on the ps1 and hated Madden. didn't like madden till the ps2.

However I loved NCAA and hated Gamebreaker!

so every year I'd buy gameday and ncaa lol.

wasn't bill walsh college football on the old sega cd system? I remember when I got out of high school I worked in a video store and I would take home the sega cd and their college fb game every night if it was rented out. good times.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Let me tell you, I spent more time on Tecmo Super Bowl for NES and the Tecmo Bowl for Sega than just about any other football game. Those were the days! Remeber the cut scenes in the Tecmo Bowl games after you threw a touchdown, or made a sack. And my favorite was when you were healhty your players would be shown running out of the hospital with the nurses waving good-bye. Epic!

And remeber the early days of Madden on Sega? When you would pass, there would be three boxes at the top of the screen showing the receivers running their routes.

Either those games were truly great or my standards have risen significantly since then. And I am afraid that it is the latter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »