Home

Passing Game Progressions

This is a discussion on Passing Game Progressions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Pro

chris11sg's Arena

OVR: 11
Passing Game Progressions

Hey guys i'm just wondering how does everyone go through their progressions during a passing play? Do you read them from left to right or from right to left? Does it depend if your qb is left or right handed? Thanks for any help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Passing Game Progressions

My checks are

look for blitz,
check safeties/deep route,
check crossing,
then flat.

There is usually only time for 3 options, no matter how many routes are out, so it's more long, med, short, than left to right.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Pro

chris11sg's Arena

Cool I'll try that. For some reason seems like I've been having more success when reading right to left… I'll keep testing it out.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Rookie

Ungee34's Arena

OVR: 5

I too first look to see who the middle LB will be on the play then I see where the safeties are at. Then of course I usually am looking for my #1 WR and should work my way around based off of that, but I love my TE so, I look for him second usually.
I try to take what the defense is giving me, so I guess to answer your question.... is I'm all over the place when it comes to how I go through my progressions. It changes on each play based on the defense.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Pro

chris11sg's Arena

That's sounds logical, take what the defense gives you! Thanks! It's good to have a strategic discussion about the game and not hear people bitch about how bad it is. Anyone else have any input on the topic?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Pro

chris11sg's Arena

Also what's the best hot route to call when u see a blitz coming. Iv been successful with slants in yrs past but this yr seems like the DBs jam the hell outta my WRs and they can't get open.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11sg
That's sounds logical, take what the defense gives you! Thanks! It's good to have a strategic discussion about the game and not hear people bitch about how bad it is. Anyone else have any input on the topic?
Depends on the play called. You have to understand the concept of the pattern. Is it stretching the defense from side to side (horizontally) or is it stretching the defense from short to deep (Vertically).

Examples:
1. Horizontal- all curls try to stretch the defense across the field, 5 on 4. You can make this 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 by reading the rotation of the secondary; strong rotation-work weak and vice versa

2. Vertical-smash stretches the corner by putting a receiver short of him and behind him, throw the route that the corner doesn't cover

some stretches work best vs 2 deep coverages, some vs 3 deep so always try to have a checkdown
Old 08-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11sg
Also what's the best hot route to call when u see a blitz coming. Iv been successful with slants in yrs past but this yr seems like the DBs jam the hell outta my WRs and they can't get open.
shallows work well

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »