Home

Cut Moves

This is a discussion on Cut Moves within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Rookie

Macc24JR's Arena

OVR: 5
Cut Moves

FIRSTLY - This is not a complaint thread. Personally, I've been playing NCAA since 04 and I couldn't be more impressed with the game this year. It seems like more of the out of game issues have been greatly corrected, dynasty mode a couple new tools - hey, even the idea of dynasty accelorators - great idea.

However, what happened to the L1 and R1 buttons that were oh so crucial to the running game? And why does it seem like every single RB runs the EXACT same way? I don't understand why EA even bothers to tell you if you've recruited a speed or power back any longer - theres NO difference besides the obvious speed and break tackle attributes - which are EASILY accessed in recruiting. Does anyone else feel this way? L1 and R1 aren't even used when rushing and I thought they were some of the best moves from years past. I know they weren't in 09 I'm just curious if someone has an answer.

The juke moves work SOMETIMES but they're farrrr too wide, I miss the quick little cut steps that made switching your direction so much easier.

What I'm ASSUMING is because it would be harder to use this feature for the 360 they scrapped it all together, which sucks. I guess it would work all the same as any other game that use the L1 and LBumper accordingly.

Meh. Food for thought.

MLB - Atlanta Braves
NFL - Philly Eagles / Seattle Seahawks
NHL - Chicago Blackhawks
NBA - Detroit Pistons
College - USC Trojans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Cut Moves

I agree -- although I do think there are subtle differences between speed backs and power backs.

I think NCAA (and Madden) have to completely rethink the left stick. That's the key. Using the left stick, you should be able to cut, plant, reverse your field, lean, stutter step, etc.

You can do some of those things now, but the defense doesn't react. Using the left stick doesn't count as a "move" the same way using the right stick does. You should be able to burn defenders with both the left stick and the right stick.

Think about it: Have you ever had a run in NCAA where you successfully reversed your field? Or cut back in the open field? It doesn't happen.

Also, they have to rethink the acceleration and deceleration in the game (it sounds like Madden 10 has done this). Speedy, agile backs should be able to "freeze" defenders by shifting gears, and then blow by them.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Pro

ucas005's Arena

OVR: 7

Agreed. There needs to be quicker cuts based on a players agility, juking and elusiveness ratings. There should be a animation difference/effectiveness in the way say a CJ Spiller and a Jonathan Dwyer makes a cut. It seems now like a long, bogged down jump from side to side.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer101er
I agree -- although I do think there are subtle differences between speed backs and power backs.

I think NCAA (and Madden) have to completely rethink the left stick. That's the key. Using the left stick, you should be able to cut, plant, reverse your field, lean, stutter step, etc.

You can do some of those things now, but the defense doesn't react. Using the left stick doesn't count as a "move" the same way using the right stick does. You should be able to burn defenders with both the left stick and the right stick.

Think about it: Have you ever had a run in NCAA where you successfully reversed your field? Or cut back in the open field? It doesn't happen.

Also, they have to rethink the acceleration and deceleration in the game (it sounds like Madden 10 has done this). Speedy, agile backs should be able to "freeze" defenders by shifting gears, and then blow by them.
You can't reverse field in NCAA because there's no momentum for defenders. The reason reversing the field can be so effective in real life is because when bigger defenders get going in one direction, it takes them a longer time to slow down, cut, and get going in the other direction than it does for a small, nimble running back. But in NCAA, defenders (and not just DBs because it's understandable that they can change direction quickly ... I'm talking about 250 pound linebackers and DTs that weight 300+ pounds) can be running full speed one way, stop, and then be going at full speed in the opposite direction instantly.

All I want for NCAA 11 is much improved player momentum, acceleration, and locomotion systems. To me, this is the last thing that is truly holding back NCAA from being a great game on the field. I know there's other problems with the tackling and blocking, but I could forgive all those problems if players would just move more realistically.

I've posted my frustration in this area in a couple other threads. Guess I'd better watch it before some of the mods get mad. Let me know if you agree with me though. Hopefully, NCAA 11 = Realistic Player Movement.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Rookie

Macc24JR's Arena

OVR: 5

I agree 110%. Personally I love the game. I'll still play it anywhere from 3-6 hours a day and probably will until the next game comes out. I guess thats the dedicated college football fan in me. I defenitely agree osmething they need to improve on for next year is player movement. As soon as I picked up a football game on next gen I always wondered "why does everyone move the exact same". I guess they've improved a little bit over the past what, three years it's been on PS3/360? But they defenitely need to distinguish the difference between the style of running from RBs and Linemen. What's the point of saying they're a speed back or a power back if they run the exact same besides their speed attributes. Wasn't meant to be a complaint thread. I think they nailed all the out of the game stuff down outside of the gameplay - dynasty and such (not sure if the ODs are buggy or anything) they need to stop worrying about new types of gameplay and fix the little things in gameplay.

MLB - Atlanta Braves
NFL - Philly Eagles / Seattle Seahawks
NHL - Chicago Blackhawks
NBA - Detroit Pistons
College - USC Trojans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Rookie

BuckeyesFan21's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404

All I want for NCAA 11 is much improved player momentum, acceleration, and locomotion systems. To me, this is the last thing that is truly holding back NCAA from being a great game on the field. I know there's other problems with the tackling and blocking, but I could forgive all those problems if players would just move more realistically.

I've posted my frustration in this area in a couple other threads. Guess I'd better watch it before some of the mods get mad. Let me know if you agree with me though. Hopefully, NCAA 11 = Realistic Player Movement.
Oh yeah. A true momentum system would be great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »