Home

*VIDEOS* Horribly Robotic AI Running

This is a discussion on *VIDEOS* Horribly Robotic AI Running within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
*VIDEOS* Horribly Robotic AI Running

I bought this game a few weeks ago, luckily not for full price . And I've started up a RTG with a QB, but I've noticed something horribly wrong with the CPU running for my team. I'll post a few videos and discuss what went wrong.

EA Sports: NCAA Football 10 Video

In this first video, our running back is handed the ball on an off tackle run. On the right you see that the WR pancakes his assignment, leaving only one person to beat the SS. But instead of running up field the RB does a zig zag motion directly toward the SS and picks up minimal yardage.

This video shows the RB getting the ball on a stretch run, and has most of the defenders beat, again only one man really in the way, the SS. And instead of going for the corner to try and outrun the SS or go right at him and break a tackle, he again zig zags running toward the sideline, which slows him down so much that the rest of the defenders catch up for a tackle.

Now this last one, is just a case of the AI making a bad decision. On the outside, the RB has 4 blockers and only 3 defenders, but instead of following his blocks, he cuts in toward the bulk of the defenders and only picks up about 5 yds. This could have been a big gain, but is made minimal because of poor AI decisions.

After playing this game on QB RTG I'm just baffled at how EA could let this flaw pass through all beta testing. Not only do the AI RB make bad decisions, but the movement and pursuit is just atrocious. From my experience it seems as a RB approaches a defender, instead of trying to plow through him and fall forward for yds, they cut parallel and run sideways against the defender. This has cost me numerous first downs on 3rd and short. It's upsetting that EA year after year puts out games with blatant flaws and cover them up with new features.

I think that I speak for most gamers when I say that I would rather have clean gameplay with few glitches over new features that only act as a distraction to the problems in the core gameplay.

Thanks for reading if you did get this far, and I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: *VIDEOS* Horribly Robotic AI Running

Its pretty ugly. Reminds me of yearly nintendo games with jerky motion and no AI whatsoever .

This can be minimized by playing on all-american and tweaking the sliders, although you'll still see it from time to time.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Banned

Yeah i mean it's not pretty but i dont play the computer that often. Things could be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude213
I bought this game a few weeks ago, luckily not for full price . And I've started up a RTG with a QB, but I've noticed something horribly wrong with the CPU running for my team. I'll post a few videos and discuss what went wrong.

&nbsp

In this first video, our running back is handed the ball on an off tackle run. On the right you see that the WR pancakes his assignment, leaving only one person to beat the SS. But instead of running up field the RB does a zig zag motion directly toward the SS and picks up minimal yardage.

&nbsp

This video shows the RB getting the ball on a stretch run, and has most of the defenders beat, again only one man really in the way, the SS. And instead of going for the corner to try and outrun the SS or go right at him and break a tackle, he again zig zags running toward the sideline, which slows him down so much that the rest of the defenders catch up for a tackle.

&nbsp

Now this last one, is just a case of the AI making a bad decision. On the outside, the RB has 4 blockers and only 3 defenders, but instead of following his blocks, he cuts in toward the bulk of the defenders and only picks up about 5 yds. This could have been a big gain, but is made minimal because of poor AI decisions.

After playing this game on QB RTG I'm just baffled at how EA could let this flaw pass through all beta testing. Not only do the AI RB make bad decisions, but the movement and pursuit is just atrocious. From my experience it seems as a RB approaches a defender, instead of trying to plow through him and fall forward for yds, they cut parallel and run sideways against the defender. This has cost me numerous first downs on 3rd and short. It's upsetting that EA year after year puts out games with blatant flaws and cover them up with new features.

I think that I speak for most gamers when I say that I would rather have clean gameplay with few glitches over new features that only act as a distraction to the problems in the core gameplay.

Thanks for reading if you did get this far, and I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Banned

codes's Arena

OVR: 2

Its also pretty funny how he does all that zig-zagging and doesn't lose a single bit of speed! The all offensive and defensive players in this game magically have the ability to zig-zag all the way down the field and lose no speed at all. Oh, not to mention they can turn on a dime as well with no consequences!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Rookie

hawkeye2188's Arena

OVR: 21

Last video could have been blamed on awareness of the player or ball carrier vision. But i see your point and it is frustrating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Rookie

This game plays great when you're playing against other people cuz this is solely on CPU running plays. But it's just strange that they didn't address this when trying out RTG, cuz it's definitely not natural or real looking.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 39

I LOL'd at those. I think it could be a solid game if that zig zag running is taken care of.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
I LOL'd at those. I think it could be a solid game if that zig zag running is taken care of.
The game is fine when playing against others, but it really ruins the RTG gameplay, cuz you can't rely on your running game at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »